Ed visa Vs 30 day tourist visa

Hello,

I’m studying with a ed visa in Thailand. Visa is valid until end of march. After my visa expires, i have 2 months studies left. Im planning to travel abroad, so is it possible to leave the country, then study 30 days with a tourist visa, then leave again and finish  studies with a 30 day tourist visa. This would be cheaper way for me than applying new ed visa with re-entry. How seriously are they checking passports on the border?  

Thanks

There is no 30 day tourist visa. You can get a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days at a immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

You can attend school with any type of entry.

Visa exempt entries are limited to 2 per calendar year at land border crossings. At most crossings there is no problem to do them other than at the Poi Pet crossing to Cambodia.

• Like 1

Yeah, i was talking about the 30 day thing you get when you arrive by plane. So if i travel by plane, there should be no issues? The thing is that im attending a university here for a exchange. I was just thinking will there be issues if i go abroad 2 times and finish my semester with 2 x 30 days exempt? I have just one previous visit to Thailand (2018), so there is no risk for me that they would not give me the 30 exempt? 

19 hours ago, Gvrnor said:

Yeah, i was talking about the 30 day thing you get when you arrive by plane. So if i travel by plane, there should be no issues? The thing is that im attending a university here for a exchange. I was just thinking will there be issues if i go abroad 2 times and finish my semester with 2 x 30 days exempt? I have just one previous visit to Thailand (2018), so there is no risk for me that they would not give me the 30 exempt? 

You don’t need to leave the country twice, only once.

Leaving the country twice would get you the required 60 days (plus however long you’re outside of the country) but is unlikely to be worth the effort and would most likely cost more too.

Simply leave the country at the end of March (try not to overstay) and return either by land or air which will give you the 30 days visa exempt. Those 30 days can then be extended by additional 30 days at your local immigration office for B1900.

Your previous history of just one visit back in 2018 means you have little to worry about.

1 hour ago, Gvrnor said:

Thanks for the answer and help. I want to do 2 trips abroad, so leaving country 2 times is fine for me. I was just thinking, will they look my student visa and suspect something because im coming back one week after i left. 

With your history, you would get two visa exempt entries without difficulty if you really want to make two trips out of the country. As  @tommytouch advised you, a 30-day extension from Immigration would be cheaper and less time consuming than the second overseas trip if you were only looking for an extra 30 days in Thailand.