Need Help Setting Up Asdl (tot) On Mac Osx

hellohello

Help!

After waiting a few years until yesterday when ADSL (ToT) finally made it to our house and its not working!

Modem was bought at the TOT office, model: <deleted>-Tech TW001CN

As instructed, I added the user name :admin & password:xxx and it's not enough.

So, my next step is Im looking for some numbers that were not given to me yesterday- the guy knew nothing about macs.

I have the IP address:

can anybody give me the

Subnet mask:

and

Router address?

Or tell me where to find it ? any other ideas?

These can not be found in the user manual: Trying to call Tot- but they are closed today for a holiday. Greatly appreciated any help you can offer. HH :o

post-7678-1175831974_thumb.jpg

Edited by hellohello

An unlikely source that might offer a solution, might be:

http://www.mangosauce.com/internet/true_wi...nd_thailand.php

He's had a write-up a while back about how to use different routers to use True. Either way, I would suggest simply picking up a router and hooking it to your line, configuring it (as above, or via PPoE as per the link) and, and connecting your Mac to the router.

Try DHCP (radio button below in your setup). This will use dynamic IP addresses in your local network. This is the standard setup for most ADSL routers now. With dynamic IP addresses you do not have to care about netmask and DNS server.

VCI and VPI should be defined be TOT. In Khon Kaen they are for me VPI=1 and VCI=32, but this may be different for you.

Regards

Thedi [email protected]

After a kick googling i found this : http://www.fuanth.com/viewsub.php?sub=Modem

It an adsl router (so does modem too), so well just put automatic IP address /DHCP and it should work. For the other parts, VCI/VPI should be set up in the router itself and so are the login/ids (as you are using tot it will be something like yourphonenumber@***cyber with your phone number as password). If you brought it to TOT they should have set it up for you already so just plug it to the phone line plug the ethernet cable to you computer, use dhcp (as explained above) and let the internet fly !... or crawl should i say :s

This may not be your problem but I'm using a Mac and TOT ADSL and I had problems connecting to the wireless modem until I fiddled with my Mac WiFi connection. In my case it was the password which was the problem and which needed to be specified in Mac WiFi as ASCI and not binhex.

Little advice, if you plan to use wireless at home better using WPA (psk) than using WEP, it's too easy to hack into WEP in a matter of "minutes", and this means "Free" Internet for your neighbours.

I use a wireless router that I haven't set any protection on,it's completely open to one and all...... all of my neighbours (chickens, cows, buffalo) have yet to discover the benefits of a net connection :o

I found out last night that it is a router, so it should just be plug-in and go if it has been pre-configured correctly (the chances of that are?)

Little advice, if you plan to use wireless at home better using WPA (psk) than using WEP, it's too easy to hack into WEP in a matter of "minutes", and this means "Free" Internet for your neighbours.
Better off skipping WPA or WEP - as either causes a significant performance hit on your wireless connection (20-30%). Just don't publish your SSID (the name of your wireless base station) and restrict access to it, to just your laptop or any devices you use. Then, no one can get in, unless you set them up with an exception first. This is the safest means.

20%-30% I beg to differ, well if you are trying to get your wireless working more than 20m i guess encrypting the network is not gonna help but WIFI (as of 802.11G) is made for low range networks (between 7/15 m). The problem isn't encryption most of the time the problem is the cheap equipment people buy (not to forget the stock anteannas with wireless adapters that suck plainly).

Now Hidden SSID are more easier to hack than WEP, and MAC address restriction is worse, because any windows under the sun allows you to spoof your network card MAC address with a simple yet effective registry change ! (and if you can crack WEP i don't see why you cannot crack the lesser protection methods available) For more educated information on the matter please see : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security

Most people here will use wireless for Internet only, if people want file transfer, serious people won't use WIFI yet as it is too slow. There maybe MiMo AP now and the future 802.11n out of the door but it's not "tomorrow" that you will see such high speed/efficiency hardware "widespread" in Thailand. With our current wireless setup so : Internet peak download and upload rates will at most be 2mb (and obviously it's much lower than that here in Thailand !) even if we were to remove 30% (ok say 50% !) of Bandwidth from the wireless adapter and if we are using the slower Wireless Standard (ieee 802.11b) wich is ~12mb we are losing 6mb... well it's still 6mb worth of bandwith for Internet Usage !

I use a wireless router that I haven't set any protection on,it's completely open to one and all...... all of my neighbours (chickens, cows, buffalo) have yet to discover the benefits of a net connection

Point taken people are grown enough to do as it suit themselves my "advice" may have been directed to you but it's for everyone here. People are babling a lot nowadays about OS security, Internet virus spywares and the rest, when your neighbour could be sneaking in your home network to do some nasty things. As long as your neighbours are as nice as they seem to be though i think you don't have to worry :o

I use a wireless router that I haven't set any protection on,it's completely open to one and all...... all of my neighbours (chickens, cows, buffalo) have yet to discover the benefits of a net connection

Point taken people are grown enough to do as it suit themselves my "advice" may have been directed to you but it's for everyone here.

That was the way I read it. :o

I was alluding to the fact that all of my neighbours are in fact just chickens, cows and water buffalo ...... they do browse, but it tends to be grass :D

(the other local ex-pats call my place Wuthering Heights :D )

Thanks all.

Btw- The guy from Tot is coming back ( soon I hope) to configure my iBook. I got as far as the GUI Configuration Manager page and got stumped... After I'm up and running on the Mac I will try to transfer (Bridge) the ADSL service through my existing apple Airport Extreme "base station" I hope it's do-able. Any helpful tips on that process are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for all your help. HH

20%-30% I beg to differ, well if you are trying to get your wireless working more than 20m i guess encrypting the network is not gonna help but WIFI (as of 802.11G) is made for low range networks (between 7/15 m). The problem isn't encryption most of the time the problem is the cheap equipment people buy (not to forget the stock anteannas with wireless adapters that suck plainly).
Well, if you say so - I only do this for a living, and have been dong so for nearly 20 years.

While your points about cheap equipment are correct (some of the cheap ass chinese made routers are crap), you will suffer a performance penalty of between 20-30% when using any form of encryption. I've verified this with both Apple basestations and linksys routers (WRT-54). You'll notice it less while surfing the web (as your browser caches most traffic), but once you engage in file transfers between computers, the performance hit becomes painfully obvious.

Now Hidden SSID are more easier to hack than WEP, and MAC address restriction is worse, because any windows under the sun allows you to spoof your network card MAC address with a simple yet effective registry change !
This is all very academic, and I am certainly happy that you can cut and paste, but the fact of the matter is that while you certainly can spoof a hardware address, can you tell me how you will *get* my hardware address, in order to spoof it? The key here is to prevent casual snooping of neighbors, not prevent industrial technological espionage -- which I hardly think is a concern in rural Thailand, or even in urban Bangkok. If the OP were in Los Angeles, or NYC, I might be more concerned, but as he is not, a hidden SSID and MAC hardware layer restrictions will work very well for what he is trying to achieve.
Most people here will use wireless for Internet only, if people want file transfer, serious people won't use WIFI yet as it is too slow. There maybe MiMo AP now and the future 802.11n out of the door but it's not "tomorrow" that you will see such high speed/efficiency hardware "widespread" in Thailand. With our current wireless setup so : Internet peak download and upload rates will at most be 2mb (and obviously it's much lower than that here in Thailand !) even if we were to remove 30% (ok say 50% !) of Bandwidth from the wireless adapter and if we are using the slower Wireless Standard (ieee 802.11b) wich is ~12mb we are losing 6mb... well it's still 6mb worth of bandwith for Internet Usage !
Again, very academic, and not very useful for real-world application. Fact is, the 20-30% you are losing are not the theoretical portion, but it's taken off the actual utilized portion of your bandwidth.

First of all, regardless of traffic, most DSL at 2mb/512 is far below the full capacity of any DSL modem and router - hence, while routers and modems may accomodate 10mbps and 100mbps, the most traffic going through is going to be 2mbps. With encryption on, you are going to lose 20-30% off the top of that performance. If you mostly surf text based websites, you won't notice much difference - if you surf mixed and graphic heavy sites, you will notice the difference -- again, during browsing, your browser's cache will offset most of that performance penalty, and most likely you will only *really* notice when comparing the speed side by side/before and after.

Nevertheless, considering the real-world situation, no specific security advantage can be gained with WPA or WEP encryption on the wireless router, except a delusion of added security. If that is worth the performance penalty, you will need to be the judge of that yourself

Thanks all.

Btw- The guy from Tot is coming back ( soon I hope) to configure my iBook. I got as far as the GUI Configuration Manager page and got stumped... After I'm up and running on the Mac I will try to transfer (Bridge) the ADSL service through my existing apple Airport Extreme "base station" I hope it's do-able. Any helpful tips on that process are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for all your help. HH

Be sure to look over his shoulder as much as you can, including taking relevant screenshots - chances are, once you have all the variables, you can set up your Basestation directly with the data, just by copying the relevant fields. Don't be afraid to ask questions - would be interesting to see how many other Mac users they have, and what their general experience with Macs is, so far.

Thanks.. yeah I got the ibook working- but when I shut it down it lost all the settings -- luckily I did remember what he (from ToT) did! his english was real bad.. so yes, i'll spend a few hours trying to see if i can make the airport extreme work.. ( bridge)

PS. he knew nothing about Mac- he had to call a colleague who directed us to begin with my firefox browser. :o