Where Can I Find Good Paintings ?

kevdulounge

Hey everybody, you've helped me out many times with visa inquiries, so maybe you'll also be helpfull with a more general matter.

We're redecorating our condo on Sukhhumvit, and thought of hanging large reproduction of andy warhol or edward hopper's work. Do you have any idea of where I can find a good painter in Bangkok willing to paint copies like that ? I've found one on Sukhumvit, who was asking for 4500 Thb for a Warhol canevas... I thought it was quiet expensive.. Are those the usual prices ?

Many thanks for your help.

Kevin

This is way out of your way, but a nice holiday trip. The tourist area of Hanoi has some good galleries with very impressive original works. The prices are reasonable for the quality.

In Thailand I seen some good copies of originals, but since I don’t spend much time in Bangkok, I haven’t come across much original work. The copies however are everywhere, if your patient you’ll find a low price.

Thanks mark, I'm going to pattaya next month, so I could have a look there...

Colpyat: why not... could also be an idea :o Where are those galleries usually located ? I'm new in Bangkok... only been here for 4 months now

Ok well if you go, follow the main naklua road up from dolphin roundabout untill soi 19, turn right after the 7-11 and he's about one hundred meters down there on the right, you'll see the pictures from outside, fantastic stuff!

Mark

Thanks mark, I'm going to pattaya next month, so I could have a look there...

Colpyat: why not... could also be an idea :o Where are those galleries usually located ? I'm new in Bangkok... only been here for 4 months now

I am not anymore that knowledgeable about art galleries here, but in the different event magazines you can surly find lots, and openings of new shows. Personally - i have never been much into Thai artists, but the region has a lot to offer, there are some excellent ones in Indonesia, and India is full of excellent art.

The beauty of art collecting is just going around, meeting people, travel to interesting places, and slowly collect things you appreciate. And that way you enable people to keep working on their vision.

All that copy cat art here on sale cheaply is nothing i would ever consider putting on my walls. But that's just me.

I'm not cultured enough to appreciate a painting of a Coke hanging on my wall nor is my imagination good enough to interpret what supposedly passes as art. I do however, appreciate paintings that please my eye and there are many talented Thai artists. South Pattaya is a great place to browse art shops.