Pneumonia Vaccine

saengd

Whilst in the UK last August I was given a vaccination against pneumonia although I do not know which vaccine was used, PCV13 or PPSV23. 

I read that best advice from the CDC is that people over age 65 should be vaccinated twice, once with each type of vaccine, does anyone know which vaccine will have been used in the UK and whether anyone else has heard this advice before?

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/are-you-65-or-older-get-two-vaccinations-against-pneumonia-201503197813

Thanks 

Yes, it is necessary to get both the 13 and 23 vaccines and at least a year apart.

There is no way to be sure which you were given in the UK. You need to contact the doctor or clinic.

I am surprised you were nto given a vaccination card recording the vaccine as that is normal practice. You should maintain a card/booklet listing all your vaccinations.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 11:56 AM, Sheryl said:

I am surprised you were nto given a vaccination card recording the vaccine as that is normal practice.

Is it?  I have not seen such a card since I retired in 1992 and it is not something I have received here in Thailand at hospitals - perhaps if using a dedicated clinic it would be different?

The only vaccines I have gotten in Thailand were at Med Consult Asia where I received a vaccination card.

Maintaining a vaccine card is standard international practice. Should request one if not offered, or bring old one with you to have the vaccine entered into.

5 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

There is no effective vaccine against pneumonia.  Keep your immune system in check.  Dont' smoke or drink. 

What makes you think that?

the vaccines are between 60 & 70% effective - this also means if you do get pneumonia it can reduce severity.

5 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

There is no effective vaccine against pneumonia.  Keep your immune system in check.  Dont' smoke or drink. 

Studies* show that at least 1 dose of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine protects

• At least 8 in 10 babies from serious infections called invasive pneumococcal disease
  • 75 in 100 adults 65 years or older against invasive pneumococcal disease
  • 45 in 100 adults 65 years or older against pneumococcal pneumonia

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/public/index.html

14 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Pneumonia can be caused by many different pathogens both bacteria and viruses (and much more rarely fungus).

There is an effective vaccine against pneumonia caused by several common bacterial strains and it is recommended that adukts over 65, or younger with certain risk factors, receive this.

It does not  mean you cannot get any type of pneumonia but will protect you against some common bacterial types.

In addition annual flu vaccines will reduce the risk of viral pneumonia due to seasonal flu. The vaccines are not 100% effective but will reduce risk of getting it and also usually mean a less severe illness if you do catch it.

On 2/29/2020 at 11:56 AM, Sheryl said:

Yes, it is necessary to get both the 13 and 23 vaccines and at least a year apart.

There is no way to be sure which you were given in the UK. You need to contact the doctor or clinic.

I am surprised you were nto given a vaccination card recording the vaccine as that is normal practice. You should maintain a card/booklet listing all your vaccinations.

@Sheryl - I heard back from my GP in the UK who says, "We give the PPSV23 here at the surgery". 

Does that mean I should also get the "13" as well or is a second shot not necessary?

Thanks

10 hours ago, BigStar said:

Thailand have these vaccines? Public or private hsps? Wonder about costs.

Yes they are available and we had a few years ago at Vejthani Hospital.  Sorry do not remember cost but do not believe it was that much.  A quick Google shows 2,360 and 1,114 from Thai Travel Clinic.

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

• Thanks 1