Thailand braces for another season of political discontent

rooster59

Thailand braces for another season of political discontent

By THE NATION

800_dbf2073f46734ca.jpg

Thailand’s political atmosphere smouldered inside and outside Parliament, with the heated censure debate and the rallies of students nationwide to show their discontent over the political situation in the country.

87456334_10158117686302855_2914769483732090880_o.jpg

On Saturday (February 29), a students’ flash mob will be held at Kasetsart University, which will also bring together other people, after similar gatherings were previously organised in several universities and schools, after the Future Forward Party was dissolved on February 21.

87482852_10158117687657855_5172904700596453376_o.jpg

However, these kinds of gatherings are happening not only in Thailand. BBC Thai reported on Friday (February 28) that around 80 Thai people and students in the UK gathered at the School of Oriental and African Studies to express their concerns about the situation in their motherland.

In this gathering, the Thai people gave a speech on the political situation in both Thai and English, and also expressed their feelings and opinions about the situation.

The people also sang together the famous song from the musical “Les Miserables”, “Do You Hear the People Sing”, and slammed the dictator.

In the famous musical, Enjolras and the other students at the ABC Café sang the song, as they prepared themselves to launch a rebellion during the funeral procession of General Jean Maximilien Lamarque.

9B3A1956.jpg

The same Friday, the Faculty of Law, Chulalongkorn University (CU), organised an academic talk on “Dissolution of Future Forward Party” at the university’s Theptawarawadee Building.

9B3A2141_0.jpg

The talk included Assoc Prof Narongdech Sarukosit, Assoc Professor Jade Donavanik, and Asst Professor Prinya Thaewanarumitkul and Yingcheep Atchanont of iLaw.

9B3A2124.jpg

The talk was aimed to be a stage for academics to share and analyse the legal propriety of the party’s dissolution.

9B3A2047.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383090

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-01
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Without a viable opposition who can push things through in the house, who's going to walk that one past the presiding dictator?

He's got things sewn up tighter than a kipper, only street un-rest can do anything now, and the students might just be kicking that off!

I started calling him the trictator that I copied from another poster I've just thought (at least I think I did) of a new one I might start using and that is the "Prictator" and as I once heard Doug Mulray once say "what a nasty little pr!ck".As he does have a prickly temper.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Even if Prayut did eventually step down as a result of all these protests (not gonna happen), then it will be just another crony who takes his place. Things could even end up worse.

Yes for real change the whole system needs to step down and he (not Prayuth) needs to take a few steps back and Thailand would need more of an English model if you get my drift.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bannork said:

To hurry things up the 1997 constitution could be revived.

Following that a new election must be called.

Simple really.

There's just one problem. A lot of people did actually vote for the junta. They stand to benefit from corruption and are going nowhere. The French style solution seems to be the only way out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Without a viable opposition who can push things through in the house, who's going to walk that one past the presiding dictator?

He's got things sewn up tighter than a kipper, only street un-rest can do anything now, and the students might just be kicking that off!

With out the support of mainstream population they are doomed. Time and time again we have seen it and the Thai's could care less 

Lets hope these kids don't try to be martyrs for nothing 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveK said:

Even if Prayut did eventually step down as a result of all these protests (not gonna happen), then it will be just another crony who takes his place. Things could even end up worse.

Growing pains. Almost every society that advanced and evolved had to do so through suffering and conflict. 

Had there been free and fair elections, minus all the vote buying and manipulating, weighting of the senate, stifling of the amount of time opposition parties were given to campaign etc, the country would not find itself in the situation it is now in.

There is only one person (or group) to blame for the unrest.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, madmen said:

With out the support of mainstream population they are doomed. Time and time again we have seen it and the Thai's could care less 

Lets hope these kids don't try to be martyrs for nothing 

It's their future and for once I think these students can see they can and must make a difference.

Yes granted the parents of many of them are too concerned with daily matters to protest, or to take much notice about who is doing what and vote accordingly.

But when it really starts to hit the family pocket they might just start to listen to their kids frustrations.

The students might be the tipping point to get things started.