Bank advice please - changing provinces.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I moved from Bangkok to Kalasin Province and haven't even tried to open a new account there because I just know I'd get "Cannot." Today I was transiting through Bangkok though and went to my bank, the main Bangkok Bank on Silom, to change my phone number and email address for internet banking. Of course, there was a problem. I'd mistakenly brought my old passbook which was cancelled last year when I gave them my new passport number when I was applying for a new ATM card. The girl first agreed with me that it was a stupid policy that made me physically go to a branch to arrange a change to my internet banking info when I could probably log on and do it on-line in the real world, But then she wouldn't accept my old passbook, bank policy, even though my name and account number were correct, and I had to fax a copy (remember faxes?) of the new book to them. Then I argued the matter, she went to speak to her manager, and suddenly it was okay after all to accept my old passbook. Not my first experience having to argue in a bank before common sense prevails. On another occasion I needed a new passbook as the old one was full. Went to a bank near Pantip - "Cannot". Argue argue argue, manager came, and it was suddenly okay after all. So it can be worth complaining, if it finds you someone with a brain that is able to make a common sense decision.

I don't have to argue when my bank book is full. I just go to my Bangkok Bank branch and get a new one in 5-10 min. 

Let me add my experience today.

I live in Thailand for 26 years, have retirement visa - yellow book - pink card and a Thanachart account since 2008.

So today I went to the branch where I have the account and asked to open a new account.

Manager started with do you have a work permit, on which I answered that I don't need a work permit to open account.

Next she asked if I owned a house, which made me right out mad as what has ownership to do with a bank account, so I started calling 1770.

After a few minutes on the phone, waiting for someone who could speak English, she changed attitude and asked if I could proof my address.

Handed her the pink card and my account book, and after some hesitance and discussion with other staff she agreed to accept it.

From that point the lady behind the desk became very apologetic and started filling in documents and making copies of all my identity papers.

Then she started entering everything in the computer and creating a new account book.

All this took about 1 hour.

When I was ready to deposit the money the manager showed up again and told me that head office required that I also showed an utility bill I had paid.

However I had such a bill in the car, that was the the drop that made the bucket overflow.

So you show them a government issued certification of your address, and those <deleted> imbeciles still want to see an utility bill.

If they think I'm gonna sit on my knees and jump through every hoop this xenophobists throw up to receive 1% interest, then they are very wrong.

Rather keep it under my pillow

Edited by Susco

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes, but it has to be YOUR OWN branch for some unknown reason. And I have asked.

My Kbank home branch is in Bangkok, Ive had the local branch here in Pattaya issue a new book, ATM cards too !!

43 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes, but it has to be YOUR OWN branch for some unknown reason. And I have asked.

So what's wrong with going to your branch when you need a new book? I'm staying 5 min from my Bangkok Bank branch and maybe 7 min from my K-Bank branch. Why would I go to another branch? It doesn't come as a surprise when one of my books are full. 

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

Why did you move to Chiang Rai?

I would propose that you open an account with Krungsri instead. I have good experience with their branches in Central Festival and Sansai. They are customer oriented.

I didn't have any problem opening Krungsri with my retirement visa.

Various reasons - traffic chaos in Chiang Mai, more polluted, Chiang Rai is more laid back. GF's village is only 25 minutes away, before 3 hours on a road which is a monument to traffic chaos.

I had a VERY pleasant surprise at Chiang Rai Immigration registering change of address. Instead of the clusterf##k we all know and hate at CM, I roll in at 10.30 am, get a queue number 3 away from being called, at the counter in ten minutes. They even provide seats at the counter, full aircon office. About 20 minutes of signing and stamping, and we're done. My GF gets a lecture from the nice lady IO on giving notification if I stay at her house for more than 24 hours. We are smiling to each other because we have not put in a TM30 at her house for about 4-5 years, and it's doubtful an IO could even find her village on a map.

Krungsri seems to get a good rap, so I will be calling in there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/1/2020 at 11:00 AM, Nyezhov said:

I used Krungsri because it was the easiest to open and its a good bank. Visa, rental contract and money. Done. Great net banking too.

Agree very good bank. I don't pay ATM fees anymore, at any banks, ATM,s i use, and in different provinces too.  Open a new account with them as long as you are on a years visa/extension no problem to my knowledge.

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Let me add my experience today.

I live in Thailand for 26 years, have retirement visa - yellow book - pink card and a Thanachart account since 2008.

So today I went to the branch where I have the account and asked to open a new account.

Manager started with do you have a work permit, on which I answered that I don't need a work permit to open account.

Next she asked if I owned a house, which made me right out mad as what has ownership to do with a bank account, so I started calling 1770.

After a few minutes on the phone, waiting for someone who could speak English, she changed attitude and asked if I could proof my address.

Handed her the pink card and my account book, and after some hesitance and discussion with other staff she agreed to accept it.

From that point the lady behind the desk became very apologetic and started filling in documents and making copies of all my identity papers.

Then she started entering everything in the computer and creating a new account book.

All this took about 1 hour.

When I was ready to deposit the money the manager showed up again and told me that head office required that I also showed an utility bill I had paid.

However I had such a bill in the car, that was the the drop that made the bucket overflow.

So you show them a government issued certification of your address, and those <deleted> imbeciles still want to see an utility bill.

If they think I'm gonna sit on my knees and jump through every hoop this xenophobists throw up to receive 1% interest, then they are very wrong.

Rather keep it under my pillow

What bank?

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What bank?

3 hours ago, Susco said:

Well, Lacessit, it gets worse!  I have a bank account with K-Bank in Bangkok and I wanted to put some cash into that account but I was in Chiang Mai.  The branch in Chiang Mai said that I had to pay a fee so I responded by telling them that I did not want to take money out of the account but to put money into the account - the response was you have to pay a fee!  I asked them how I could overcome this problem because I was not going to pay any fee or bank charge (the bank should be paying me, right!) and they said that I had to open up a new account in Chiang Mai.  I contacted Kasikorn Bank Headquarters in Bangkok to ask them about this and they replied that they charge a percentage of the amount of cash you wish to place into your account in another province.  Unbelievable!!!

So I opened up a new account in Chiang Mai.  When opening this new account, I had to unfortunately deal with a complete idiot of a girl who did not even know that Britain was in fact the United Kingdom.  She even registered my profession as "teacher" without asking what my profession was  (I have never been a teacher!), and then she registered my nationality as "Ireland" (I have never been Irish and I have never been to Ireland, in fact I never knew that "Ireland" was a nationality but a country!), and, and, and, to top it all she asked me to sign page 2 of a document without ever seeing page 1.  Had I not insisted on seeing page 1, my nationality would be "Ireland", my profession would be "teacher", my telephone number would be someone else's telephone number, etc. etc. etc.  What sort of idiots do they employ at these banks?  And they all think in Thailand that they are professionals - yeh, right!

It is unbelievable how banks work here and how they manage to screw their customers out of money.

This is not the only problem I have had with banks in Thailand, ALL the banks have problems as has been my experience with other banks also.

There seems to be only one remedy - open up an account with ALL the banks in ALL the different provinces, or leave the country forever as I am planning to do - I only hope I can get my money out when the time comes from this godforsaken place!

58 minutes ago, Diddl said:

Well, Lacessit, it gets worse!  I have a bank account with K-Bank in Bangkok and I wanted to put some cash into that account but I was in Chiang Mai.  The branch in Chiang Mai said that I had to pay a fee so I responded by telling them that I did not want to take money out of the account but to put money into the account - the response was you have to pay a fee!  I asked them how I could overcome this problem because I was not going to pay any fee or bank charge (the bank should be paying me, right!) and they said that I had to open up a new account in Chiang Mai.  I contacted Kasikorn Bank Headquarters in Bangkok to ask them about this and they replied that they charge a percentage of the amount of cash you wish to place into your account in another province.  Unbelievable!!!

So I opened up a new account in Chiang Mai.  When opening this new account, I had to unfortunately deal with a complete idiot of a girl who did not even know that Britain was in fact the United Kingdom.  She even registered my profession as "teacher" without asking what my profession was  (I have never been a teacher!), and then she registered my nationality as "Ireland" (I have never been Irish and I have never been to Ireland, in fact I never knew that "Ireland" was a nationality but a country!), and, and, and, to top it all she asked me to sign page 2 of a document without ever seeing page 1.  Had I not insisted on seeing page 1, my nationality would be "Ireland", my profession would be "teacher", my telephone number would be someone else's telephone number, etc. etc. etc.  What sort of idiots do they employ at these banks?  And they all think in Thailand that they are professionals - yeh, right!

It is unbelievable how banks work here and how they manage to screw their customers out of money.

This is not the only problem I have had with banks in Thailand, ALL the banks have problems as has been my experience with other banks also.

There seems to be only one remedy - open up an account with ALL the banks in ALL the different provinces, or leave the country forever as I am planning to do - I only hope I can get my money out when the time comes from this godforsaken place!

No one will miss you. That I can guarantee. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

No one will miss you. That I can guarantee. 

Really?  You can guarantee that?  You don't know me and you don't know my friends so how could you guarantee anything.  It is probably people like you that have made this country the way it is - no knowledge and just assumptions about things you don't know.

Have a good life with such remarks, I feel sorry for you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

So what's wrong with going to your branch when you need a new book? I'm staying 5 min from my Bangkok Bank branch and maybe 7 min from my K-Bank branch. Why would I go to another branch? It doesn't come as a surprise when one of my books are full. 

If you bothered to read my earlier post, I live in Kalasin now and my branch is in Bangkok. That's about 700 kms away. And, as others have found, I can't open a new account in Kalasin as I don't have a work permit. And, so often in Thailand, everyone makes up their own rules. And my book wasn't full. They cancelled it when I registered my new passport. Okay?

7 hours ago, Diddl said:

Really?  You can guarantee that?  You don't know me and you don't know my friends so how could you guarantee anything.  It is probably people like you that have made this country the way it is - no knowledge and just assumptions about things you don't know.

Have a good life with such remarks, I feel sorry for you.

Just reading your whining makes me 100% sure no one will miss you. 

30 minutes ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Just ask your bank to issue an ATM card which allows withdrawals throughout Thailand, fee free 

It doesn't work that way. Just a very few banks have free ATM withdrawals in other regions. The 15 baht fee isn't negotiable. 

And I don't care about 15 baht if I have to withdraw money. If I did I can always use cardless withdrawal at K-Bank. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you bothered to read my earlier post, I live in Kalasin now and my branch is in Bangkok. That's about 700 kms away. And, as others have found, I can't open a new account in Kalasin as I don't have a work permit. And, so often in Thailand, everyone makes up their own rules. And my book wasn't full. They cancelled it when I registered my new passport. Okay?

There isn't one bank in Kalasin where they don't ask for a wp? I don't believe that.  

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It doesn't work that way. Just a very few banks have free ATM withdrawals in other regions. The 15 baht fee isn't negotiable. 

And I don't care about 15 baht if I have to withdraw money. If I did I can always use cardless withdrawal at K-Bank. 

Total rubbish, ask your bank or banks before commenting !

• Confused 1

Update for those who are interested. Head office Kasikorn Bank in Chiang Rai said I have to open a new account, no problem. They say I can close the Chiang Mai account - BUT - a fee of 35 baht for every 10,000 baht in that account. That's 2100 baht on a balance of 600,000.

Call me a Cheap Charlie, but I refuse to accept that kind of deal. Next time I am in Chiang Mai, I withdraw the lot free of charge, Kasikorn loses a customer. As they say, you can't fix stupid.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2020 at 11:01 AM, Lacessit said:

Update for those who are interested. Head office Kasikorn Bank in Chiang Rai said I have to open a new account, no problem. They say I can close the Chiang Mai account - BUT - a fee of 35 baht for every 10,000 baht in that account. That's 2100 baht on a balance of 600,000.

Call me a Cheap Charlie, but I refuse to accept that kind of deal. Next time I am in Chiang Mai, I withdraw the lot free of charge, Kasikorn loses a customer. As they say, you can't fix stupid.

How much does it cost to transfer those 600k to your new account?