Starting a cafe or Takeaway business in Australia

I posted about this some time ago but didn't really get a lot of info first hand. And that's what I am looking for someone who has owned a business like this maybe in the last 5 years. Business and rent wise I can probably work that out for myself if I can make a profitable go of it or not but mainly interested in regulations, licenses, insurances required etc. Is it prohibitive these days? Are you getting regular health department checks? Are their requirements over the top?

Playing around with the idea of repatriating back to Australia and I am thinking small operation, maybe myself and the Mrs, coastal or rural town. No employees (re training, insurance, super, payroll etc). Probably NSW or QLD somewhere. Small cafe or takeaway shop would suit. Don't really want to set up in a mall etc.

Would appreciate any help from someone has had recent experience. Not sure if we would buy a going concern or fit somewhere out ourselves.

I dont have an answer, but there was a NYT story featuring a rural area (Kakadu) cafe / grocery store - serving Thai food.  Only open April-Nov, run by a Australian/Thai couple.

The article mentions they spend time in TH, when the restaurant is closed.  You may want to reach out and ask for advise.  The grocery store/cafe is called Borders.  

https://www.anbinik-restaurant.com.au/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/05/dining/border-store-review-thai.html - behind paywall - free registration.  If you cant open, let me know. 

Good luck.

We have had a 40 seat Thai Restaurant in a Melbourne outer suburb for over 20 years doing both eat-in and take-away with delivery on our slow nights. Never going to be millionaires but gives us enough to live on and support family, both in Melbourne and Thailand. Have some Thai relo's involved in the business. Have had 4 restaurants in the past but am getting older now and now have wound back to the original restaurant. Secret is to keep the overheads down, particularly rent. Look for a low cost shop but with access to a large numbers of people. Important to keep the food standard high as that will be the selling point - word of mouth is the best publicity. The shop doesn't have to be flash, but needs to be clean.

If you want more info PM me. I don't know what 'PM' means and don't know how to do it or respond to it - have just seen other posters mention it. I guess it means 'personal message'.

Best of luck mate.

• Like 1

OK. We did similar to what you are asking about. I'm at 60 now so no jobs for me, had to buy my own. We found a takeaway in Qld and bought it. Its a beach location so we get smashed in the school holidays but its quiet in the off season. We have no employees, just family members running it through a Trust for the tax advantages, employees really are just too expensive.

We earn a low hourly rate, probably half an employee wage. However the business allows all our bills including food, cars and beer (batter) etc to be charged to it. Plus computers, mobile phones and whatever else you can wrangle, so that actually pumps the actual income up. Do the long hours and you can still bank a fair bit of money.

Its boring in the low and tiring in the high. We looked at trying to sell as we have made the money we needed already. No cash buyers out there at all and banks aren't lending, and that's even for a business that is actually profitable. So you should be able to find some deals. If you aren't a good cook make sure you get trained properly from the seller (assuming their food is good), as bad food equals few customers.

Licenses: food license free, we don't sell alcohol so no booze license. Insurance: just 3rd party injury plus fire, about $1100/year. Our shop is clean so no real dramas from health, although they always want something to justify their jobs. As a Trust no super, no workcover, no payroll.

A going concern is the go, start making money from day one, but do the due diligence, what's it really earning, length of lease, likely to be demolished for a high rise etc. Many businesses don't stack up, be careful of any cash they claim to pocket, could be real or BS. Setup costs of a new shop can often be the same (or more) as buying one already running. I can read financials so knew what I was buying. Buy the right one and yes you can do OK, but can be tiring if getting on in years. Any questions I probably won't answer as I don't revisit posts any more and just occasionally log in these days. Good luck with it all...

Such a business is hard work - very hard work for an older person.  Know a few people who did it and failed or had to eventually sell it - the hours were too long and life is too short.  Unlkess you know what you are doing, it is a mug's game. Not sure how old you are and wife, but if you are over 50s then maybe not such a good idea unless very fit and well.  I would suggest that you would need to take 6-12 months to find the right opportunity and to learn the business while looking for the right place.  Where is the first question and then how much to pay for all the things involved - and all the other things involved that only someone in the business knows - and you have to be in Aust to find out.  

I guess I am saying - dont.  However I do have an idea.  If you are reasonably fit and well then maybe an easier and safer (financially) option is to work as a couple cartaker looking after a resort/park.  There are jobs available for couples, often with free board etc., for a couple that will live on-site and manage such a business.  

https://www.seek.com.au/couple-jobs

https://www.seek.com.au/caretaker-couple-jobs

At the very least you will be making money, and while doing that you can still look/find a business that you can buy/rent if you still want to later on.  And if the job is in the hospitality business you will be learning about the industry.  There are always positions available - sometimes because the buiness owners are scumbags, but also often because younger couples are starting famiolies and want to make more money.  I recently met a guy and his wife who are working for a storage business - and they are doing OK but the owner is a d**k  so they are looking at moving - they have had plenty of interest because they are experienced - they used to manage a holiday caravan park.

Hope some of that helps.