Thai Police, where?

0zr0cks

Can anyone answer the questions "where are the Thai Police?" or "what work do they do?"

For example:

I'm in the Krabi area currently and every 3rd motorbike has its muffler removed and also the rear tail light does not function, these are either highly obtrusive or extremely unsafe very common practices.

Then theres the no helmet thing, easily 80% of all riders and passengers dont wear them in this province. I have been here for many months and have not seen any Police roadblocks whatsoever, yesterday I saw 3 cops sipping coffee and having a cheery chat at a new and expensive coffee shop just down the road from the very new and large Police HQ in Ao Nang, which tends to suggest theres plenty of cops, but where are they? 

21 hours ago, ravip said:

You came to Thailand as a tourist to see the country? Or on a work permit to take up a job?

But, if you came to find fault, change Thailand for the better, or just to keep bashing all and sundry in Thailand, you are a bit late - there are 1000's who hve taken up that process full time. Of course you can join the crowd - more the merrier!

I'm here for 2 years now on an OA visa so hardly a newbie

I actually thought it was a valid question, you've never considered it? or are you Thai Police?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

in Hua Hin we have road blocks during the day where the police collect cash from hapless tourists and perform Kabuki theater and at night extortion road blocks on dark sois conveniently located away from CCTV cameras. 

there are four locations to be avoided at night in HH. 

Huh...what!?  Can you PM me the info.  I’m headed there tomorrow and I stick out like a sore thumb.

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

you are lucky.

in Hua Hin we have road blocks during the day where the police collect cash from hapless tourists and perform Kabuki theater and at night extortion road blocks on dark sois conveniently located away from CCTV cameras. 

I hear it is incredibly bad in Pattaya with the constant road blocks.

remember what you see Thais doing illegally such as not wearing a helmet does not apply to you as a farang.

Two check points on either end of Mae Sot. They are there 24/7 and have been here as long as I have. 

Although they don't bother farang any. Just to shake down the Burmese. In fact the only time I was ever stopped by a cop was for them to tell me good job at the fights the weekend before. Said police officer was at the boxing event and recognized me. 

Edited by Nakmuay887
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2020 at 3:43 PM, 0zr0cks said:

Can anyone answer the questions "where are the Thai Police?" or "what work do they do?"

I think the answer is out catching criminals. Like most countries the police are there to stop people without stuff stealing from people with stuff. 

What the OP might consider criminal activities Ie. traffic related and are considered to be merely trifling by RTP. 

No muffler on a motorbike? What is the legal noise limit in dB? 

No taillight? Well first they have to witness it!  

Thankfully RTP concentrate on the serious stuff and leave us alone to carry on our lives without continually looking over our shoulders. As we would if driving in the west.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I think the answer is out catching criminals. Like most countries the police are there to stop people without stuff stealing from people with stuff. 

What the OP might consider criminal activities Ie. traffic related and are considered to be merely trifling by RTP. 

Thankfully RTP concentrate on the serious stuff and leave us alone to carry on our lives without continually looking over our shoulders. As we would if driving in the west.

I hope this post is sarcasm. 

Not to mention in many places it is the police stealing from people WITH stuff. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I hope this post is sarcasm. 

No just real life. 

I trust you realize that the only police you see are the ones in uniform. Most "working" police to not wear uniform. 

On 3/2/2020 at 3:04 PM, NCC1701A said:

you are lucky.

I hear it is incredibly bad in Pattaya with the constant road blocks.

remember what you see Thais doing illegally such as not wearing a helmet does not apply to you as a farang.

For the last ~12 years or so was travelling around HH at all odd hours, but was never even stopped once - OK I am not a permanant resident and maybe I am lucky!

20 hours ago, ravip said:

For the last ~12 years or so was travelling around HH at all odd hours, but was never even stopped once - OK I am not a permanant resident and maybe I am lucky!

can you describe your mode of transportation and the various places you visit please?

On 3/3/2020 at 4:58 PM, VocalNeal said:

No just real life. 

I trust you realize that the only police you see are the ones in uniform. Most "working" police to not wear uniform. 

I am aware of this yes. My Ajarn is a cop here and his brother is an IO. My landlord is Also a police officer. 

Fortunately for me the cops don't bother anyone but the Burmese here. 

On 3/3/2020 at 4:04 PM, VocalNeal said:

Do you mean the criminals that hang out at Coffee shops?
Not sure where you’re from but In Australia we have strict road rules and it’s the Police who enforce them routinely. It’s the main role of a Police man or woman to protect the citizens, allowing them to create serious noise pollution and endangering their own and others lives by not having tail lights working is seriously bad form and shows a total lack of care to their countrymen.