Where to buy old Notebook RAM Modules?

OneMoreFarang

If you go to "Desktop Computers" in Lazada and enter a price maximum of B1500, you will find many older business compact units (Dell, HP, Lenovo) having 4gb DDR2 installed.

If you can search the model numbers, you might find one with the RAM you need for a cheap price.  Since they are mini desktops, they may have used laptop components to keep them small.

Edited by dddave

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, I will have a look.

2x2GB comes up everywhere and cheap.

But those DDR2 4GB modules seems to be expensive or out of stock...

They didn't exist when I bought my DELL 1440 Inspiron. Yep, they're pricier than new ones. 

25 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

You could also try Advice. They usually have most parts, or can order it.

These blue/whitish shops are in all provinces. Might be cheaper than buying off ebay. 

I've googled it and only 2 x 2 GB showed up. 

P.S. I've just checked Lazada and found some very good WD 240 GB SSD (SSD) WD GREEN SATA 3 Year Warranty SYNNEX NAVA IT GROUP for 990 baht! ( Before 2,500)

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/240-gb-ssd-wd-green-sata-3-synnex-nava-it-group-i257631715-s396934434.html

WD Green SSD are bulk standard and the price, of around £25, is quite usual. They were not 2500 baht in recent times.

WD Blue a bit better, but they are really just rebranded Sandisk Ultra SSD.

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

It's a good idea to Flash the Modified BIOS, as it will enable SATA II and perhaps bring the improvements for which you are looking, without the need for more RAM.

I need more RAM and not an updated BIOS. What is so difficult to understand about that?

If I wanted to have tips how to improve the performance of my notebook then I would have asked for that.

I didn't ask for that because I know enough about computer myself. It's my job since forever.

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I need more RAM and not an updated BIOS. What is so difficult to understand about that?

If I wanted to have tips how to improve the performance of my notebook then I would have asked for that.

I didn't ask for that because I know enough about computer myself. It's my job since forever.

You need to learn to control your temper. Angry only makes stupid.

You think that you need more RAM because of what you perceive as 'page swapping' when usage goes above your hardware limit.

If this is the case, the swaps are bottle-necked by the BIOS led SATA I limitation. 

Your Chipset has SATA II specification. So removing the BIOS imposed SATA I limitation, you effectively double the speed of your SSD. Et voila! Everything happens more quickly.

As I wrote earlier, I believe myself, rather than your claim that you already know it all.

In fact I modify the BIOS myself.

Always better to stay quiet about your supposed credentials, as there is always someone around who knows a lot more, but doesn't boast about it.

So this is a mod that you can do without spending any money at all. Why get angry?

As an aside, I buy 4 GB PC5300 SoDIMM modules for 600 baht each.  But since you have made it clear that you don't need my help, I will choose the way which I will help you.

53 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

Ebay has them, I bought them for my laptop and upgraded it with two 4GB rams making 8GB ram total.

Thanks. How much did you pay?

It seems all the offers which I saw until now are about 2500THB or more. That's a lot of money for 8GB of 2nd hand RAM.

Removing the SATA I limitation will have a more obvious effect than adding more RAM.

Whilst RAM might be faster than SATA connections, you still need to load programs in to RAM.

You are limiting your Thinkpad X61s to HDD like performance. IBM set the limitation for exactly that reason. To improve compatibility with old technology.

But now there is an SSD fitted, you need to remove the SATA I limitation.

I am not altogether surprised that someone claiming 30 years in the business did not know this. One can get tunnel vision, concentrating on what you already know, without learning or admitting that you need to learn, anything new.

I'm sure anyone with any useful experience will understand that my advice is spot on.