Where to buy old Notebook RAM Modules?

OneMoreFarang

I like to buy the following RAM modules for an old notebook:

4GB Module DDR2 667MHz SODIMM 200-pin (one module has 4GB, I need two modules)

Does anybody know a shop in Bangkok where they (possibly) sell them?

I am familiar with new computer and shops for new parts. But it happens extreme seldom that I buy old parts.

With RAMs I see no problem is buying and testing old RAM modules. Basically they work or not, there is not much in between.

But it seems these specific modules are difficult to get - online and offline.

57 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

Did you have look @ Crucial? https://www.crucial.com/

No, because they sell new modules and not old modules.

I checked Kinston. They are obsolete and even if they would be available new the new modules would be way too expensive to upgrade an old notebook.

I want to buy 2nd hand modules. I have plenty of those for desktop PCs but not for notebooks.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, because they sell new modules and not old modules.

I checked Kinston. They are obsolete and even if they would be available new the new modules would be way too expensive to upgrade an old notebook.

I want to buy 2nd hand modules. I have plenty of those for desktop PCs but not for notebooks.

I have just thrown exactly what you need away after three years on the shelf gathering dust. Sorry.

8 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I have just thrown exactly what you need away after three years on the shelf gathering dust. Sorry.

Thanks for letting me know.

If you find some more please also let me know.

And if you need some old desktop modules I still have them - including 10 years of dust. ???? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I have one 2gb block. Not sure about the speed.

Thanks but no thanks. I have 2*2GB and until now I thought that is the max.

But it seem my old ThinkPad unofficially also works with 2*4GB. And with 8GB of RAM it should still be useful for some time.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But it seem my old ThinkPad unofficially also works with 2*4GB. And with 8GB of RAM it should still be useful for some time.

Hahaha wot a laff. You're trying to find old 4gb blocks of RAM. I thought that's what I'd read but then...nah, can't be

You don't need all that RAM 555

Edited by Number 6

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Hahaha wot a laff. You're trying to find old 4gb blocks of RAM. I thought that's what I'd read but then...nah, can't be

You don't need all that RAM 555

I don't need it. Windows 10 64bit together with a few open windows are demanding it.

I have already a fast SSD which is good but some more RAM would make a big difference.

I’m not yet living in Thailand so I don’t know if receiving eBay items is workable.  You can almost certainly find compatible memory on eBay.  Good luck on your quest.

3 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I’m not yet living in Thailand so I don’t know if receiving eBay items is workable.  You can almost certainly find compatible memory on eBay.  Good luck on your quest.

I find eBay sellers are much happier to ship to the US than to Thailand 

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't need it. Windows 10 64bit together with a few open windows are demanding it.

I have already a fast SSD which is good but some more RAM would make a big difference.

No it won't.

Unless of course, yours is different.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

No it won't.

Unless of course, yours is different.

I work as computer professional since about 30 years. My first own PC had the for that time gigantic amount of 16MB RAM to run Windows NT.

Believe me I know the performance differences of RAM, SSD and CPU.

If a PC has so litte RAM that the startup work faster with more RAM then that is extreme. After I start my notebook and some in the background running services it uses about 3GB RAM.

And if I open a few windows then it wants to use more than 4GB. But because it does not have more than 4GB it starts swapping. And even the fastest SSD is a lot slower than RAM. So more RAM would definitely make it faster. 

Currently my desktop, on which I work > 90% of the time, uses 6.8GB RAM with only a few active applications.

On 3/3/2020 at 5:53 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

DEll 1440 also work with 2 x 4 GB. Even when the maximum at that time was 2 x 2 GB. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Thanks

It seems I have to spend (regularly) some time to search.

Now I checked maybe 7 entries in that list.

2x4GB for about >=2500THB or out of stock...

It seems some sellers want to confuse people with 4x2GB which is of course useless with only 2 available slots.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I work as computer professional since about 30 years. My first own PC had the for that time gigantic amount of 16MB RAM to run Windows NT.

Believe me I know the performance differences of RAM, SSD and CPU.

If a PC has so litte RAM that the startup work faster with more RAM then that is extreme. After I start my notebook and some in the background running services it uses about 3GB RAM.

And if I open a few windows then it wants to use more than 4GB. But because it does not have more than 4GB it starts swapping. And even the fastest SSD is a lot slower than RAM. So more RAM would definitely make it faster. 

Currently my desktop, on which I work > 90% of the time, uses 6.8GB RAM with only a few active applications.

I don't believe you. I believe me. It won't make much difference. I didn't state that it would make no difference.

I am stating that for the outlay for 2 x 4 GB of DDR2 the difference will be negligible.

Maybe better to investigate why you system is using that much RAM.

This from my thirteen year old laptop.

Memory.jpg.d3e4d4359e58876c6a0e98f509121cb0.jpg

Windows 10 64-bit.

2.4 GB in use with 27 tabs open on the Browser and VLC playing lossless music files.

Let me know how it performs once you have spent the 2500 baht on RAM.

Always interested in advancing my knowledge. My knowledge states that it isn't worth the outlay.

If 4 GB modules of DDR2 were cheap, then there would be no need for this thread. They aren't, so it's better to lower your RAM usage if you are really using that much or at least get a better SSD with DRAM if yours does not.

On 3/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Ahhh, there's the problem. You should convert it to a Linux box. thinkpads are wonderful Linux boxes.    I have 8GB on my x250 running debian and it generally uses about 2GB. What model is yours?

You might also get some memory sources from  https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

One more thought: some thinkpads have whitelists in the bios that control what wifi cards, memory sticks, etc. will work. If the hardware you add is not on the list, it won't work. Check the wiki I posted for your model and see if it's locked.

10 hours ago, gargamon said:

One more thought: some thinkpads have whitelists in the bios that control what wifi cards, memory sticks, etc. will work. If the hardware you add is not on the list, it won't work. Check the wiki I posted for your model and see if it's locked.

Thanks, I will check.

11 hours ago, gargamon said:

Ahhh, there's the problem. You should convert it to a Linux box. thinkpads are wonderful Linux boxes.    I have 8GB on my x250 running debian and it generally uses about 2GB. What model is yours?

In principle I am aware of that.

The problem is that I want to use software which I also use on my "big" computer at home like Visual Studio.

If I would only use it for simple work then I would have probably installed Linux already.

My one is the X61s, currently with SSD and 4GB RAM.

Edited by OneMoreFarang

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In principle I am aware of that.

The problem is that I want to use software which I also use on my "big" computer at home like Visual Studio.

If I would only use it for simple work then I would have probably installed Linux already.

My one is the X61s, currently with SSD and 4GB RAM.

Visual studio is available on Linux. There is equivalent or better software in Linux for 99% of the stuff you get in windows. Also little concern for viruses. All free. I run Linux on all my boxes, big and small.

The X61S has a BIOS with a whitelist built in. There is a custom BIOS you can load to remove it. Not sure if the memory chips are covered by the whitelist.

Saw them for sale in Lazada and on Kaidee. Otherwise Fortune at MRT Rama 9 (if it's not on fire again) has shops ... one floor under IT City... don't know what that floor would be... 4th? that's selling older parts and second hand parts.

On shopee this is available (shopee.co.th/4G-4GB-PC2-5300S-DDR2-667MHz-200Pin-1.8V-SODIMM-RAM-Laptop-Memory-For-Micron-New-i.143149670.2212831346)

If you have time you could go along to Zeer Rangsit, Panthip Plaza at Pratunam and Bangkapi or Imperial world Samrong top floor and have a look at all the used pc part sellers, they have ddr2 ram modules.

Last week whilst browsing the used pc parts sellers cabinets in Zeer on the 2nd and 3rd floors, noticed that several had ddr2 ram modules.

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

On shopee this is available (shopee.co.th/4G-4GB-PC2-5300S-DDR2-667MHz-200Pin-1.8V-SODIMM-RAM-Laptop-Memory-For-Micron-New-i.143149670.2212831346)

If you have time you could go along to Zeer Rangsit, Panthip Plaza at Pratunam and Bangkapi or Imperial world Samrong top floor and have a look at all the used pc part sellers, they have ddr2 ram modules.

Last week whilst browsing the used pc parts sellers cabinets in Zeer on the 2nd and 3rd floors, noticed that several had ddr2 ram modules.

I guess it's time that I visit Pantip again - after years.

There was a time when I visited that place probably at least once a week...

And I still remember my first visit in 1994 with, at that time, one big shop full of pirated CDs. It felt like heaven.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess it's time that I visit Pantip again - after years.

There was a time when I visited that place probably at least once a week...

And I still remember my first visit in 1994 with, at that time, one big shop full of pirated CDs. It felt like heaven.

I know the feeling.

In 1995 used to spend several hours perusing all the stalls and shops in Panthip. For lunch the food court on the mezzanine level was also quite good in those days.

Today it is a sad relic of what it once was.

Anyway, good hunting for your ram modules, I'm sure you will find it somewhere.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

It seems I have to spend (regularly) some time to search.

Now I checked maybe 7 entries in that list.

2x4GB for about >=2500THB or out of stock...

It seems some sellers want to confuse people with 4x2GB which is of course useless with only 2 available slots.

You could also try Advice. They usually have most parts, or can order it.

These blue/whitish shops are in all provinces. Might be cheaper than buying off ebay. 

I've googled it and only 2 x 2 GB showed up. 

P.S. I've just checked Lazada and found some very good WD 240 GB SSD (SSD) WD GREEN SATA 3 Year Warranty SYNNEX NAVA IT GROUP for 990 baht! ( Before 2,500)

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/240-gb-ssd-wd-green-sata-3-synnex-nava-it-group-i257631715-s396934434.html?mp=1&scm=1007.16389.126158.0&clickTrackInfo=8ee081c5-8387-43e6-a64c-5a11b38819e6__257631715__14385__trigger2i__124582__0.011__0.041217368__0.0__0.6153473__0.258535__0.26707086__2__1__PDPV2V__244__null__null__0__

Edited by Isaanbiker

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

You could also try Advice. They usually have most parts, or can order it.

These blue/whitish shops are in all provinces. Might be cheaper than buying off ebay. 

I've googled it and only 2 x 2 GB showed up. 

Thanks, I will have a look.

2x2GB comes up everywhere and cheap.

But those DDR2 4GB modules seems to be expensive or out of stock...

• Like 1