Daytime Bar Closures

LivinLOS

From memory, it was around 2004 when they tightened up on bar opening hours and started to restrict the drinking of alcohol in the afternoon. I was in BKK at the time, and originally the plans were to close all the bars at midnight, and at the last moment they relented and made it 1 a.m, although some 'zoned' areas (ironically mainly patronised by Thai youths) were allowed to open until 2.a.m. It was at this time that they also restricted drinking in the afternoons from 2 p.m. to 5 p-m. Some bars decided to close during this period, but others carried on as usual. Certainly some restaurants refused to serve booze after 2 p.m. but for many, it was business as usual. The restaurants in the shopping mall - like MK etc, all shut down on booze in the afternoon and were very strict about it. The same applied to restaurants in places like Carrefour in Pattata, but down the road it was business as usual.

The rule about selling booze in supermarkets and mini stores was brought in at the same time - no idea if it was the same law,an extension of the same law, or a different law altogether. You could buy booze all day in Villa, but not in Carrefour, Tesco and the like.

At the end of the day they have enough laws, statutes, orders in council, zoning regulations, decrees and God knows what else, to do what they like, when they like and how they like. Generally speaking, those with deep pockets can usually get round most of these regulations if they are willing to pay, but there will be periods when everyone has to tow the line.

I always remember being in Bangkok a couple of years ago during Buddhist lent. The place was shut up tight, all the bars were closed and not a drink to be had from one end of Sukhumvit to the other. And there, in the gloom of Sukhumvit 33, was the Londoner Pub, with a light on. I entered and was almost crushed to death by the mighty throng, drinking like there was no tomorrow - farangs and Thais alike. I ordered a beer, and was just taking a sip when a squad of police burst in - must have been at least 8 of them. They took their positions by the door, and I thought: "Here we go!" The manager walked over, gave them a wai, they smiled back, and quietly departed, leaving us all to our illegal drinking. :o

Thirty years ago, we enjoyed midnight curfews, but I drank many a night away in speak-easies, often in the company of BIB who owned many of them.

Was it ever thus in LOS.

Happy drinking, gentlemen - and ladies. :D

my guess would be that the BIB are feeling te pinch like all others in this city, incomes are down visitors are down, falangs are generally getting pissed off being singled out and scammed or robbed (same same) BIB have monthly bills for cars homes etc so they pick on a few bars and turn the srews, I know for a fact that one very busy gogo bar was given this notice also and told to close immediatly (1am) they did close and all customers had o leave but where open until 2am as usual the next day, anybody want to guess what happened ?????????????

Jeeez, what about the afternoon sessions in Soi 6 ?

What will happen to other traditional afternoon haunts, like The Welcome Inn ?

I know these locations have gone drastically downhill over the years, but Soi 6 can throw up a few pleasant surprises at times....... :o