Drastic Action Against Drunk Drivers In Songkran Revels

george

Drastic action against drunk drivers in Songkran revels

BANGKOK: -- Police will take tough action against those who drink and drive as well as a ban on those defying a ban on the use of high-pressure water guns and powder to ensure safe celebrations during Songkran festival or the traditional Thai New Year.

Pol. Lt-Gen. Adul Saengsingkaew, assistant national police chief, said a police centre aimed at preventing road accidents during the water splashing festival would officially open on April 10.

During last year's celebrations, almost two-thirds -- 65 per cent --of driving accidents were alcohol-related and involving insufficient rest on the part of motorists, Gen. Adul said, adding that the police nationwide have been ordered to strictly enforce laws on drinking and driving, while bans against the use of high-pressure water guns and talcum powder are also imposed.

This year's five-day public holiday for Songkran is from April 13 to 17. The government has set a mortality target that revellers dying in road accidents should not exceed the level of 354 deaths during the holiday period.

Convenience stores and petrol stations are advised not to sell alcoholic drinks during the celebrations, he said.

Cars carrying people with water throwing equipment are banned from entering Bangkok's inner city or nearby areas between April 11-15.

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board has issued a temporary ban on sales of high-pressure water guns. Violators will be subject to a maximum five-year jail sentence and/or a fine of Bt500,000.

--TNA 2007-04-07

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cars carrying people with water throwing equipment are banned from entering Bangkok's inner city or nearby areas between April 11-15.

That's good news for vendors selling water guns in the inner city. :o

Police will take tough action against those who drink and drive as well as a ban on those defying a ban on the use of high-pressure water guns and powder to ensure safe celebrations during Songkran festival or the traditional Thai New Year.

once again ,

the ban is stated as applying to vendors , ie selling ............

can anyone find a cite against using ??

to clarify , I agree with banning them , however to ban there sale then use that as justification against usage ???

BANGKOK: -- Police will take tough action against those who drink and drive as well as a ban on those defying a ban on the use of high-pressure water guns and powder to ensure safe celebrations during Songkran festival or the traditional Thai New Year.

And for the rest of the year?

Things are not helped in Chiangmai when there are cross-road banners outside Yupparat Wittyalai school, with the only decypherable English stating that the Songkran Festival is from 1-18 April.

Farangs have for a long time, been the worst of the morons during Songkran up here

Personal examples from the past - 2002 - 10Kg block of ice accompanied by around 1 litre of water, in the face while riding the motorbike inside the moat - one week BEFORE the official start of festivities. Thrown by a farang

2005 - 11pm at night - bucket of ice cubes and water in the mush on the motor bike while riding past a scummy backpackers restaurant - thrown by a farang - whilst attepting to ride between two singthaews on the move at 40+ kph

2005 (again) two buckets of water in the face on the motorbike at 50kph on the Hang Dong highway - from farangs hiding behind a parked Songthaew - 7 days after the official END of "festivities".

And people wonder why the police will not license resident farangs to carry firearms?

Gaz (prisoner in his own house for the next 10 days)

Edited by Gaz Chiangmai

Department of Probation asks for increasing the punishment for drunk drivers

The Department of Probation will consider increasing the punishment for drunk drivers from three months to one year and from 10,000 baht of fine to 20,000 baht.

The Director-General of the Probation Department, Mr. Wanchai Rujjanawong (เธงเธฑเธ™เธŠเธฑเธข เธฃเธธเธˆเธ™เธงเธ‡เธจเนŒ), the punishment for drunk drivers depend on the amount of alcohol in their blood. They normally face a maximum imprisonment for only three months, or 10,000 baht fine, or both. He further explains drunk drivers will be sent to the Probation Office after the court has declared the probation against them. In addition, the drunk drivers must do public services.

The punishment of youth drunk drivers is the same, but the punishment of youth drunk drivers aged under 18 years will be considered by the Central Juvenile and Family Court.

Nonetheless, Director of Probation Department adds many agencies view drunk drivers should deserve more violent punishment. Currently, the department has proposed to amend law concerning the punishment for drunk drivers.

Referring to upcoming Songkran holidays, agencies already set up measures to cope with possible road accidents, including setting up checkpoints on main roads. Meanwhile, local administrative organizations will help campaign people not drink alcohol if they have to drive.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 April 2007

10 days of Songkran fun and games in Pattaya

355 days of fun and games there after

all year round drunks, mayhem, murder, robbery, DRINK driving is sport here - makes Songran like a day out for the under 5's

So i wait to see what the local authorities have planned

Possibly just increasing the coffee money to 1000 baht

:o

I just informed my Thai wife that wasn't it sad that Thai police only take action against drunk drivers after they have an accident. "Why don't they stop them before and arrest them." I asked her. Up to them , she replied. Policeman tired and sometimes people want fight them. So they not stop people from driving drunk, Up to some people they want drive drunk.

The Thai reasoning from what I consider an other wise smart woman.

As for the water cannons I was just at two up country markets where there were bins full of the things.

The Department of Probation will consider increasing the punishment for drunk drivers from three months to one year and from 10,000 baht of fine to 20,000 baht.

The Director-General of the Probation Department, Mr. Wanchai Rujjanawong (เธงเธฑเธ™เธŠเธฑเธข เธฃเธธเธˆเธ™เธงเธ‡เธจเนŒ), the punishment for drunk drivers depend on the amount of alcohol in their blood. They normally face a maximum imprisonment for only three months, or 10,000 baht fine, or both. He further explains drunk drivers will be sent to the Probation Office after the court has declared the probation against them. In addition, the drunk drivers must do public services.

The punishment of youth drunk drivers is the same, but the punishment of youth drunk drivers aged under 18 years will be considered by the Central Juvenile and Family Court.

Nonetheless, Director of Probation Department adds many agencies view drunk drivers should deserve more violent punishment. Currently, the department has proposed to amend law concerning the punishment for drunk drivers.

Referring to upcoming Songkran holidays, agencies already set up measures to cope with possible road accidents, including setting up checkpoints on main roads. Meanwhile, local administrative organizations will help campaign people not drink alcohol if they have to drive.

Nice. :o

Things are not helped in Chiangmai when there are cross-road banners outside Yupparat Wittyalai school, with the only decypherable English stating that the Songkran Festival is from 1-18 April.

Farangs have for a long time, been the worst of the morons during Songkran up here

Personal examples from the past - 2002 - 10Kg block of ice accompanied by around 1 litre of water, in the face while riding the motorbike inside the moat - one week BEFORE the official start of festivities. Thrown by a farang

2005 - 11pm at night - bucket of ice cubes and water in the mush on the motor bike while riding past a scummy backpackers restaurant - thrown by a farang - whilst attepting to ride between two singthaews on the move at 40+ kph

2005 (again) two buckets of water in the face on the motorbike at 50kph on the Hang Dong highway - from farangs hiding behind a parked Songthaew - 7 days after the official END of "festivities".

And people wonder why the police will not license resident farangs to carry firearms?

Gaz (prisoner in his own house for the next 10 days)

I think these people should have the word "######" branded onto their foreheads for everyone to see, locked up for a long time and then banned from ever visiting Thailand again in the future. And for good measure, have a high powered hose directed on their groin for 5 minutes per hour every day whilst in custody.

Alan

Guest Reimar

That's not for Chiangmai only: It is for all of the places where Farangs come together to "celebrate(???)" Songkram before, within and after the holidays!

Take a look at Pattaya, or at Khaosan Road or other Places!

Some years ago I've to visit a Hospital because a Farang drows some dirty powder with Menthol in my eyes! A year later my Car was damaged in the crowd at Sukhumvit Raod and needed a new paint!

For my opinion, people who driving Cars or even Motorbikes and be drunken at that time, are pontential killers! And that with a full knowledge about that what they doing! They don't mind about others, they only mind about themself! They don't mind to kill innocent humans! They mind only to have the fun as they want!

Hopefully this kind of humans kill themself once! But unfortunatly the mostly times they kill and hurt others, innocent humans!

The ban should be apllied for the whole year! And the sentences and fines should be setup as high as possible!

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board has issued a temporary ban on sales of high-pressure water guns. Violators will be subject to a maximum five-year jail sentence and/or a fine of Bt500,000.

However sales of AK47's, 9mm's and Uzi's attract a fine of only Bt100,000 and a maximum 3 year jail sentence. :o

Typical over the top, well intentioned but misguided thinking.

Nice. :o

I stay in Pattaya when I go to Thailand.

Songkran is it fun or should it be avoided?I have heard Pattaya is a place where the festival is celebrated with relish.

I am thinking I could go door to door in a taxi when I go out,but then who is sitting in the back of the taxi with a bucket of iced water?How far do participants go.

I might go and stay away from my condo in pattaya, to escape, if it's a real pain,but where can an escapee go?Hua Hin?I don't know.

What about I wear a full length shower proof mac, a sou wester ,wellies and swimming face mask ,would I escape the problem of continually being soaked?

Morons out early in Chiangmai

was driving home yesterday afternoon around the moate in Chiangmai, when suddenly two moronic farangs ran out of a pussy shop, through the traffic and empied two buckets of water through the open passenger window of my car causing immense stress to my three year old daughter. Fun is fun, but a week early, will these morons ever learn?

However sales of AK47's, 9mm's and Uzi's attract a fine of only Bt100,000 and a maximum 3 year jail sentence. :o

Typical over the top, well intentioned but misguided thinking.

What amazes me is the following. You have a Thai coustom that originates from GENTLY pooring water on to a person's hand or body. It is not surpising that over time this gently pooring goes a bit further and takes the look of a national water battle. I have seen this for the first time 11 years ago and it litterally was a water battle between kid's and youngsters - but it still was somehow gentle and friendly, with a lot of joy and love.

Now tell me: which arshole has come up with a high pressure water gun? Which idiotic ignorants create these things? Thai kid's - no! Thai youngsters - no! Thai or non-Thai commerce - I think so. Money and making money does not respect anything, has no limits. The inventor of the high pressure water gun the one who brings it on the market, should go to jail in a first step.

And a last observation: While I still have this illusion that Thais have a lot of fun pooring and throwing water at each other with a lot of friendlyness and love, it appears to me that farangs just poor empty water without anything like friendlyness not to talk about love. It looks to me as if they didn't understand the whole reason and background and therefore just take the opportunity to do what they are never allowed at home - throwing something at other people for having trown it at them, often in a rather aggressive way - luckily it's just water.

For the drunken drivers: no need to fill the jails with them and no need to expect them to pay the fines. Just revoke their driving license instantly and for lifetime.

Song Khran... the only time of the year the farangs are trying to GET OUT of Thailand! :o

:D:D:D Nice 1!!!

Up here in Khon Kaen the fesitivities and madness is starting already!! You can't get on a bus without getting buckets of water thrown at you from kids on the side or the road!! It really hots up next week and the police will not have a say on the water / talc fest!!!! I think, to be honest, they can't be ar**ed anyways up here. Chill, chill!

My experiences from last year are enough to keep me housebound now until it's all over. Friends were supposed to drive my Thai hubby and some Farang friends of ours around the city but couldn't come at the last minute so muggins here ended up driving Uncle's battered pick-up around with our 2 month old baby in the cab with me. The air-con failed (great!!) so a tad warm in the 39C heat and thought my baby was going to explode she was so hot!! Couldn't put the windows down as both babe and I would have been watered and talced to death!! Then the car overheated and broke down with us stuck in the middle of the water / talc fest area. Great fun for very drunk by now hubby and friends. Nightmare for the have to be responsible and sober Mum!! Me!!

I'll get my own back one year, don't you worry!! I'll have the biggest, most powerful water gun there is so watch out :D:bah::bah: Mad Farang woman with a huge shooter!!!! Ha ha!!!

Enjoy or avoid. Whatever tickles your fancy!!!!

Edited by pippasipanoun

Songkran is it fun or should it be avoided?I have heard Pattaya is a place where the festival is celebrated with relish.

I am thinking I could go door to door in a taxi when I go out,but then who is sitting in the back of the taxi with a bucket of iced water?How far do participants go.

I might go and stay away from my condo in pattaya, to escape, if it's a real pain,but where can an escapee go?Hua Hin?I don't know.

What about I wear a full length shower proof mac, a sou wester ,wellies and swimming face mask ,would I escape the problem of continually being soaked?

In the more heavily tourist occupied areas Songkran is way over the top these days. In BKK you'll be lucky to escape water throwing around the clock for at least a week. In Chiang Mai it at least settles down after 6.0pm and with the exception of the few ars***e farangs the local residents treat the festival and water throwing the way it was intended, good natured, not harmful and without spite. Years ago I was in BKK on business during Songkran and got soaked within minutes of leaving the hotel every time, regardless of what I was wearing. I therefore spent much of the end of the week in self imposed exile in my hotel. I finally took a limo to the airport for the return flight dressed in business suit and tie and my last clean dry shirt. I went to check in at the Thai Airways business class counter when the young lady behind the desk pulled out a small water pistol and good naturedly squirted my tie and wished me happy Songkran - sorry to say I went ape s**t.

I think everyone could live with 1 day maybe even 2, but 5-6 days of water fights in Pattaya is surely over the top. Drink driving, how about just driving in general. Is there any extremely rich people out there that could offer free driving lessons to Thais, it would be a very worthwhile cause.

Ruds

This year's five-day public holiday for Songkran is from April 13 to 17. The government has set a mortality target that revellers dying in road accidents should not exceed the level of 354 deaths during the holiday period.

QUOTE FROM OP!

Which begs the question........................just what will happen if the limit of 354 deaths is passed?

If they are dead, how will they be punished, for exceeding the limit?

Further to that....if the limit is not reached.....will they go out and kill a few to complete the score?Q

once again ,

to clarify , I agree with banning them , however to ban there sale then use that as justification against usage ???

See the first para :

A bit confused but think that means the guns & powder should not be used.

Songkran in Pattaya is he11 on earth! The taxis are open pick-ups and prime targets for water attacks.

Do as I do, stock up frozen pizza and don't leave home until things return to normal...

once again ,

See the first para :
A bit confused but think that means the guns & powder should not be used.

what ban on there use ???

every ban i've see is ,

a) temporary

b ) on sales

are we talking precedents here ?