Man, 60, arrested with 44kg of marijuana in parcel delivery from Bangkok

webfact

6 hours ago, radiochaser said:

I can't speak to how it is today but back in the early 1970's up in the Issan area, there were Thai's that smoked and handled it better than when drunk.  

And opiated 

7 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I think that he is referring to the valuing of 44,000 grams of 'weed' at 400,000 baht.

Indicating a price of 9.091 baht per gram.

I don't know the price of 'weed' but 9.091 baht per gram seems cheap.

The weed is garbage, and it is a bulk rate.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

And opiated 

I saw very little of that.  Most was unadalterated Thai stick. 

I heard rumours of heroin being mixed in with it,

never saw any in Thailand but I did see that in Vietnam.

Edited by radiochaser

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Personally I hope not. If the Thais cannot handle alcohol and driving, then legalising it makes little sense. They need less things to get stoned on - not more.

Think they have been getting stoned on it for a very long time, legalising it is a sensible option to begin to remove the criminals from  the market, increase economy as it has done the staes which have legalised it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, radiochaser said:

I saw very little of that.  Most was unadalterated Thai stick. 

I heard rumours of heroin being mixed in with it,

never saw any in Thailand but I did see that in Vietnam.

Yes old urban legend. It makes no sense when you consider the price of the two products. 

23 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Nice try disgusting drug dealer.

Enjoy your time in prison.

clearly have no actual clue or facts about drugs.. although yes, its still illegal here now cannabis is in no way dangerous to people, laws are changing, if it was legal to buy now would he still be a 'disgusting drug dealer'? how about all the u.s states that are now raking in tax money form the new laws, are the guys selling it there also 'disgusting drug dealers'?

• Like 1

Funny, the use of the word "man" might be considered a little non descriptive or vague to most who are used to SE Asian news.

But regular TV reader would know exactly what it means.

To bad, if the story had a different perp, so they could have used the "F" word

(as they love doing) we would be up to 20 pages by now and on the way to thousands of clicks.

Yes, I can sympathise with those who use it as a medication. However, the seemingly similar postal trade from Europe has also (possibly) delayed my Amazon book from UK arriving on schedule. If  - that being the case - they've ripped open the package and damaged my book, I shall not be best pleased.

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Yes, I can sympathise with those who use it as a medication. However, the seemingly similar postal trade from Europe has also (possibly) delayed my Amazon book from UK arriving on schedule. If  - that being the case - they've ripped open the package and damaged my book, I shall not be best pleased.

Yes, this is about your book. Its the marijuana trade that has delayed your shipment not something else. 

How very myopic need your imagination be to even see a parallel between the two events?

Edited by metempsychotic

6 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Yes old urban legend. It makes no sense when you consider the price of the two products. 

Off the main topic of the original post.

In 1972-1973 in Udorn and surrounding area, a brick of Thai sticks (20) was 20 baht ($1.00). 

A vial of heroin about 1 inch in diameter by about 3 inches tall was about 200 to 250 baht ($10.00 - $15.00.  Back then it was mixed in with the tobacco of a cigarette and smoked, most of the time.  Much bigger than the vials of heroin sold in Vietnam and much cheaper too.  I think some of the heroin in Vietnam came from the same place the heroin in Udorn came from. 

I didn't know the cost of Thai weed mixed with opium, but it was mixed, and pressed together.  I never bought any.  What I saw was about 1 inch thick.

In Bangkok a fake pack of Falling Rain cigarettes with 20 marijuana cigarettes was 20 baht.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metempsychotic said:

Yes, this is about your book. Its the marijuana trade that has delayed your shipment not something else. 

How very myopic need your imagination be to even see a parallel between the two events?

My point is that by drug addicts, drug distributors and the like using the postal system, the authorities are delaying otherwise lawful parcel post by carrying out more rigorous searches. That's a feasible rationale.

Mine was just one possible example. Others could be depending on far greater life-changing needs than me - but could be caught up in 'the system'. 

45 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

My point is that by drug addicts, drug distributors and the like using the postal system, the authorities are delaying otherwise lawful parcel post by carrying out more rigorous searches. That's a feasible rationale.

Mine was just one possible example. Others could be depending on far greater life-changing needs than me - but could be caught up in 'the system'. 

Yeah, uh huh, I get your point. Your package from amazon was delayed because "drug addicts" are mailing weed.

• Haha 1