National Disease Control Chief refuses to clarify Phuket coronavirus report

snoop1130

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

A demonstration of why there is contempt for Thai government representatives and why there is disdain for Thailand's health officials tasked with managing this health crisis.

The Deputy Director General  bungled this media event  badly. The intent of a press conference is to provide clear and reliable information, not to obfuscate and erode public confidence.

This is something Trump does all the time in the US. He lies or gives no details. Both governments are lying or not giving the true facts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bstafford214 said:

This is something Trump does all the time in the US. He lies or gives no details. Both governments are lying or not giving the true facts.

why go to the US when own backyard is dirty. 

19 minutes ago, WhyamIhere said:

11 people have already died in America (a first world country) while Thailand reports only one!  'And the check is in the mail'.

Did you also know that 29 million contracted influenza, 280,000 were hospitalised, and 16,000 have died, this whole Coronavirus has been blown out of proportion in my opinion, that said, if one things comes of this strain through all the negative media reporting, the world might be a more hygenic place to live as people wash their hands and learn to wear masks if sick, hopefully.

Once a vaccine if made, which won't be long, Bob's your uncle as the saying goes, she'll be right, another, cough cough.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He would not elaborate on which parts of the report were considered accurate.

They just can't tell it how it is... give us the truth we can handle it we're not children.

Tell us the real numbers & where they are so we "the public" can take appropriate measures.
This blanket of mystery and extremely low numbers are causing the panic NOT THE VIRUS!!!!!

• Like 1

This is another incidence that underlines why Thai officialdom is nothing but a joke. Especially the current lot. However, I am in awe, how you buffoons can pull a dignified face and act all official and authoritative when the fact is, you have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on and what you are doing.

• Like 1

I find the whole corona blow up ridicules, and laugh with the masks, but on 19 febr I went to Ao Nang krabi  and after to Phi Phi, all normal,  but 10 days later I start coffin,  chest feelings and become slight influenza feeling, weakness, sweating...  first i think just a cold, but then with the influenza feeling... I wonder why when I came back 2 time a whole team stopped everyone to check temp and disinfect hands ... if nothing going on ....   I don't know if I cached it I getting better now, I stayed home rest, drink a lot of ginger/honey/lemon thee and zinc tablets ... my friends seems to have no problem, so just wondering.

Does it even matter anymore? Thailand is an at-risk country. I wouldn't be surprised if they had it at this point. However, if he does have it, give the people who are taking care of him, the chance to take the necessary precautions out there in Phuket...it's better to be safe than sorry.  

39 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Did you also know that 29 million contracted influenza, 280,000 were hospitalised, and 16,000 have died, this whole Coronavirus has been blown out of proportion in my opinion, that said, if one things comes of this strain through all the negative media reporting, the world might be a more hygenic place to live as people wash their hands and learn to wear masks if sick, hopefully.

Once a vaccine if made, which won't be long, Bob's your uncle as the saying goes, she'll be right, another, cough cough.

The problem is that this virus is many times more deadly than most flu, could be 40 times according to a BBC report. Furthermore it is very easily spread. Your figures on flu need a perspective, this is probably over a winter season, covid 19 has just got going.  A vaccine will take a year at least to develop, test, and manufacture in vast amounts.

The key thing as mentioned before is that there is no way Thailand with it's strong China links has less cases than the UK for example. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

While I am extremely distrusting of ANY politician, ANYWHERE, I am even more distrusting of my fellow human beings; e.g. Face masks everywhere despite well-publicized fact that they serve no anti-viral protection. e.g. TV comment strings that theorize, diagnose, interpret, invent and pontificate and announce brain farts that overwhelmingly feed public misconceptions and panic.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nigel Garvie said:

The problem is that this virus is many times more deadly than most flu, could be 40 times according to a BBC report. Furthermore it is very easily spread. Your figures on flu need a perspective, this is probably over a winter season, covid 19 has just got going.  A vaccine will take a year at least to develop, test, and manufacture in vast amounts.

The key thing as mentioned before is that there is no way Thailand with it's strong China links has less cases than the UK for example. 

I am not suggesting that Thailand has less numbers than the UK or any of its neighbouring countries, that said, it does spreads much quicker in colder environs, and hits those who are older or have pre-existing conditions.

The numbers reported worldwide could be lower because people who have had the Covid-19 and died, might have died from other causes, e.g. heart attack, kidney disease and so on, which means they have to report the cause, not that the patient had Covid-19, but died later from heart failure, kidney failure, so instead of putting the underlying cause as the main cause the numbers will differ and that is probably why the numbers of those dying in China seems obscured earlier on, but it is just the way they report it worldwide, right or wrong.

At the end of the day, it's just another strain, more powerful as you say and more will die, until a vaccine is made, by this time next year at the latest, all of the above said, no one is yelling out that so far the recovery rate is 54%, they only focus on the mortality rate being between 2%-4%, as they say, if you want to create a panic, you can rest assured the media will do that for you.

Could this be a way of reducing the population, was it released into the population, we can all go on speculating about this or that, but it doesn't do anyone any good, me for one, is carrying on as usual, abiet will stay away from crowds, wash my hands more thoroughly when out and about and look into perhaps getting a shot for Pneumonia which might help in the case of me contracting this virus until they get the vaccine to market.

I for one have a pre-existing condition and know I will have a battle on my hands to beat it if I come down with it, e.g. as we have been told it hits the lungs, so those who have a pre-existing condition like myself, who has a stent in one of my main arteries knows that my heart and perhaps other organs will have to work harder to beat it, or die of possibly a heart attack as the virus releases the plaque in the arteries which could cause a blockage and trigger a heart attack, and so I suppose that makes me more susceptible than someone who doesn't have heart disease and the reporting if one died would be of a heart attack. 

The above said, keep smiling and try to stay safe as per usual. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mercman24 said:

still lying to the public so no change there then,  as someone noted before confirmed cases at 43 for days now, anyone with a brain cell does not believe a word they say now,  a simple yes or no would have sufficed, even if it was a lie lol,

About lying to the public, it's real easy because still a very few thai read newspapers, and they learn nothing from soaps on TV. 

7 hours ago, smedly said:

Oh and the "fake news" squad in Thailand is not what most reasonable people would understand it to be - say something whether right or wrong and you will be arrested if it doesn't fit with the program - that is a whole big step into police state not democracy and free speech, shut your mouth or you will be arrested and locked away

Gee, replace "arrested" and "locked away" with "fired" or "demoted" and I would say you're talking about a totally different country...

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your opinion not the opinion of most governments around the world. The press are just reporting announcements by the WHO and various governments.

Generally accepted that a vaccine won't be available to the genral public for 18 months.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Your opinion not the opinion of most governments around the world. The press are just reporting announcements by the WHO and various governments.

Generally accepted that a vaccine won't be available to the genral public for 18 months.

It is also the opinion of people more qualified than those in government positions who work with this day in day out, if you have access to NetFlix, check out the "documentary" not movie called Pandemic if you haven't seen it, these people in this clip are the "qualified people" from that documentary, recently releasing this clip.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

The more they deny or refuse to comment, the more it makes me think there is a lot more they are not telling us.

Does anyone know exactly how many cases Thailand really has?

Well I don't think the government does so the answer is probably no!

• Like 1

No need to ask any government official what the situation is, the government has published the numbers. 

Don't be misled by the address, on the page the PDF is titled: "The Corona Disease 2019 Situation". 

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no58-010363.pdf

It shows the numbers "undergoing treatment for their disease."

It shows the numbers "recovered from their illnesses and discharged."

Don't bother waiting for for one of them to spell out loud the "truth" for you.

They only do that when the truth "pleases".

Edited by Enoon