Cancellation of work permit, visa etc

Hi there,

My agent is saying that they don’t intend to come to labour office or immigration with me and that I need to do this myself. They have said that they will cancel my work permit after I leave the country.

I understand I have an extension of stay and that when the work permit is cancelled I need to leave the country immediately.

What advice could you give me please? What should I/ so I need to do in this situation? Are there any other things I need to consider regarding work permit, visa/ extension of stay?

Do I need to go to labour office and immigration?

Thank you for your help,

To cut a long story short I have a Non-B extension of stay and a work permit,, my contract expires in month, I have a multiple reentry permit. Things have not worked out with my employer and we wish to part ways with immediate effect. I have asked for my work permit and non-b extensions of stay to be cancelled but my employer is not cooperating on this at the moment. I simply want to transition to a tourist visa or 30 day visa exempt ASAP. 

Please advise the proper procedure for cancelling a non-b visa and work permit and if this can be done without my employer. Any other useful advice on how I can out of this situation would be helpful.

6 minutes ago, allane said:

1. Are you planning to work in Thailand again ?

2. You can't get a Tourist Visa/Visa Exempt from within Thailand. Where & how are you planning to leave & re-enter Thailand ?

My first priority is to cancel everything I need to and then leave the country.

I will look to return to my home country first by plane.

1 hour ago, EMMAS said:

To cut a long story short I have a Non-B extension of stay and a work permit,, my contract expires in month, I have a multiple reentry permit. Things have not worked out with my employer and we wish to part ways with immediate effect. I have asked for my work permit and non-b extensions of stay to be cancelled but my employer is not cooperating on this at the moment. I simply want to transition to a tourist visa or 30 day visa exempt ASAP. 

Please advise the proper procedure for cancelling a non-b visa and work permit and if this can be done without my employer. Any other useful advice on how I can out of this situation would be helpful.

Edit: first priority is to leave the country and then at some stage return. 

If you plan not to work in Thailand again, you don't need to worry about cancelling your Work Permit. You won't have any problem leaving through an airport. Apparently some people leaving via the Lao land borders, with no receipt for cancellation of their W. P. have been denied exit, and told to take care of that first.

Once you are outside of Thailand, you are just like a first time tourist; there is nothing stopping you from coming back.

4 minutes ago, allane said:

If you plan not to work in Thailand again, you don't need to worry about cancelling your Work Permit. You won't have any problem leaving through an airport. Apparently some people leaving via the Lao land borders, with no receipt for cancellation of their W. P. have been denied exit, and told to take care of that first.

Once you are outside of Thailand, you are just like a first time tourist; there is nothing stopping you from coming back.

Thank you.

I have heard that I must cancel my WP first? And if I don’t then I risk a fine on my return (whenever that will be). 
So I do not need to cancel anything, go to the labour office (to hand in WP) or even go to CW to do anything?

21 hours ago, EMMAS said:

Thank you.

I have heard that I must cancel my WP first? And if I don’t then I risk a fine on my return (whenever that will be). 
So I do not need to cancel anything, go to the labour office (to hand in WP) or even go to CW to do anything?

Are you getting this 'advice' from your HR department staff?

There is the possibility they have very little real / accurate knowledge on these subjects. 

Even more likely to be true if the company has had very few foreign employees.

With a little luck the experts (e.g. Ubonjoe and a couple of other TV members) will be along and give you some quite specific answers.

Good luck. 

23 hours ago, EMMAS said:

Thank you.

If you are returning to Thailand as a tourist, there will be no problem with a W. P. that has not been cancelled. If you think you might work again, cancel it for your own peace of mind. 

I cancelled my work permit by attending the labor department with my work permit and passport. The receptionist will hand you a form to complete. All the staff I met didn't speak much English though so best to take a trusted Thai translator with you if needed. It doesn't take long, I was in and out within an hour.

You also might need some other documents for example approval letter from your employer. I took my company registration certificate etc.

Edited by NightSky