Songkran in Pattaya CANCELLED - only religious activities permitted

Jonathan Fairfield

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

it is impossible to enforce an outright ban, both tourists and locals are urged not to throw water

Having a police force would ensure enforcement.  The farang boy tourists will still be drawn to this large wet T-shirt exhibition.  They will still be buying ditch water at Moet prices.

1 minute ago, fred110 said:

???? A lot happens there in a week. I saw that runoff and it looked like a flood of semen.

I'd be surprised if there is many customers at all let alone enough for the semen to be running down the soi.

• Like 1

Great news, maybe they'll actually go back to doing what the real custom is and just pat your face lightly with cooling water, as opposed to being drowned in the street by a bunch of annoying loons ....... I always leave Thailand at Songkran, maybe i might come back...... maybe.....

• Like 2

Ok the main reason for Songran. Its is for Thais to get <deleted>, act stupid ,and throw water over each other for a week and also not to go to work for week. So what the authorities say and what the Thai people do is completely different Ask you a question? Do Thais obey the road rules? No So I cant see them obeying this rule either. Think about it? Songran is Thai new year right? What country in the world gets on the grog and misses work for a week over New year"s day. Thailand of coarse. Now half the bloody Thais would not even know what Songran means. They just want to get on the grog and run riot.

The Chinese have New year but you dont see them geting <deleted> and throwing water over each other and acting stupid.

3 minutes ago, ubon farang said:

Ok the main reason for Songran. Its is for Thais to get <deleted>, act stupid ,and throw water over each other for a week and also not to go to work for week.

Not in Pattaya. In most of Thailand it's 3 days max. Pattaya 8 days. Its is for farangs to get <deleted>, act stupid ,and throw water over each other for a week

17 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The Authorities made have announced that Songkran is cancelled, but all they need to do now is ACTUALLY stop the Thais doing exactly as they please, and carrying on anyway.

Easier said than done.

But don't worry, we all know the police are enforcing laws and regulations across the country.????

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

he wet and wild week long celebrations that Pattaya is synonymous with during Songkran will not be happening this year.

Two main benefits - less chance of spreading viruses and much less highway carnage. Good job, but officials never keep promises so why would anyone take this seriously?

Just now, Burma Bill said:

I have just informed pals back in the UK who were planning to visit Pattaya for Songkran - DO NOT BOTHER!

People actually travel thousands of miles to chuck water over each other in an open air brothel?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

People actually travel thousands of miles to chuck water over each other in an open air brothel?

No involvement with "chucking water" just to experience the atmosphere during their fortnight holiday.

2 hours ago, condobrit001 said:

This is great news, but of course totally unenforceable.

What could be enforced quite easily though is a ban on the sale of all water pistols, guns, super soakers etc.

I am thinking along the same lines ( others too might be but only on this page so far ).   If Soakrun is banned where you live and you fill a bucket with water from your tap , go to your next door neighbour throw the contents over him and he reciprocates , what law are you breaking , what would the fine be ?  To add to the problem , would/will farlung get bigger fines ?

I think the vast majority of Pattaya expats would have ZERO problem with Songkran if it was only for 2 days 3 days tops......The intense and bitter hatred many farang have towards Songkran is it last for 10 bloody days in Pattaya...

Its very stressful knowing you could be assaulted any time you leave your house 24/7 for 10 days in a row... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

The biggest annoyance during songkran are not the young Thais but the farangs. Farang bar owners are amongst the worst culprits.

3 years ago my friend was staying at Areca Lodge. The farang owner of the bar opposite the entrance spent all day every day camped outside his bar drenching everyone who came out of Areca lodge with his water cannon. Pleas by individuals for him not to soak them were ignored. A moron of the first order.

We were unable to take action against him as the police would undoubtedly have taken his side. This year we will have no such constraints. We will be driving past his bar and any sign of his water cannon and we will be inserting it where the sun don't shine. That's a promise.

For me, it's difficult to have sympathy with farang bar owners.

Simple fix hire a water cart (think road construction style) and blast the kcuf out of him and his bar!

• Thanks 1