Songkran in Pattaya CANCELLED - only religious activities permitted

Jonathan Fairfield

Songkran in Pattaya CANCELLED - only religious activities permitted

image.jpg

The wet and wild week long celebrations that Pattaya is synonymous with during Songkran will not be happening this year.

On Friday, Pattaya’s mayor, Sonthaya Khunpluem, confirmed that almost all Songkran celebrations in the resort have been cancelled as part of measures aimed at containing COVID-19.

The most notable of the events cancelled is Wan Lai, which was due to take place on 18 & 19 April, and which typically attracts hundreds of thousands of revellers.

All activities planned for Pattaya Beach Road have also been cancelled, while officials say they will ask organisers of private events, such as the celebrations at Central Festival, to also cancel their events.

The only events that will be permitted are religious ceremonies and merit making. 

Mr Sonthaya said that while it is impossible to enforce an outright ban, both tourists and locals are urged not to throw water as doing so could only compound the risk of spreading the virus. 

The news comes as other provinces announced the cancellation of major Songkran events.

On Thursday evening, officials in Khon Kaen, Bang Saen, Phetchabun and Buriram all confirmed planned events had been cancelled, while in Phuket, the planned celebrations on Patong have also been cancelled.

The cancellation of the events is the latest hammer blow to Thailand’s ailing tourism industry left decimated following the outbreak of the coronavirus.

Via: WeLovePattaya & PR Pattaya

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-06

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Authorities made have announced that Songkran is cancelled, but all they need to do now is ACTUALLY stop the Thais doing exactly as they please, and carrying on anyway.

Easier said than done.

Great news, but I still see it going on.

Probably not nearly as much activity, but go walk around for 30 minutes I bet you come back home soaking wet.

Should be interesting to see.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Do we now have certain "permissions" to respond to unwanted and now banned watery physical assaults? 

You can yell NO WATER CORONAVIRUS...

As an individual I say thank god for that , as a business owner I say f%###ing hell.

hate this time of the year but as a business owner, was looking forward to having more customers

14 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

And all the grumpy old gits danced around their room with their zimmer frames.

You can bet your bottom dollar soi 6 will be awash with water regardless of any announcements.

What a nasty comment

17 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

And all the grumpy old gits danced around their room with their zimmer frames.

You can bet your bottom dollar soi 6 will be awash with water regardless of any announcements.

Enjoy Songkran, waste water as much as you like................https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-faces-severe-2020-drought-pwa-warns-275033

GP cancelled 

Songkran cancelled

NO CHINESE

THAI Airways sell plane to survive 

..etc etc

Expat gone because kicked out

Thailand in limbo 

The denial and xenophobia  saved face pay you Thailand....

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Sanity? Here? I welcome this news though I never thought I would be reading it. Maybe I won't have to make my annual ten day trip to anywhere, to get away from it.

I see you've got a 'maybe' in there.

For some reason you're not certain 'saying' and 'doing' are going to be the same thing?

58 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

Only in Pattaya?  That won't help reducing virus infections if the rest of Thailand is still travelling around.

I kinda sorta glanced over the article but I got the impression this is not limited to Pattaya....did you read the article ?

(quote from original news text)

"On Friday, Pattaya’s mayor, Sonthaya Khunpluem, confirmed that almost all Songkran celebrations in the resort have been cancelled as part of measures aimed at containing COVID-19. "

my oh my, how news travels fast here...

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I kinda sorta glanced over the article but I got the impression this is not limited to Pattaya....did you read the article ?

some people just glance the headline then post comments. reading = work= strenuous exercise.

38 minutes ago, Ian Nagle said:

I absolutly detest Songram. If i had my way it would be banned forever.

Not trying to be a smart ar se, but strangely the Thai word for war is sometimes roughly translated as Songkhram, in English, appropriate in a way, since it is after all, water wars.

Archived