Songkran in Pattaya CANCELLED - only religious activities permitted

Jonathan Fairfield

Does this place ever make a decision and stick to it??? Maybe the better question is...does this place ever even make a sound decision??? Maybe, finally this time, after insisting it was on. How long till they fip back? 

Edited by Skeptic7

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They have canceled it on Samui too. Probably a good idea. Now the South by SW Music Festival in Austin, Texas and the large annual Music event in Miami have been cancelled. This is big. It is not so much the reality, as it is the perception, the fear and the panic. The numbers are swelling in the US, at least partly due to an astonishing lack of preparation for this. So far, the highest mortality rate on earth. 17 deaths from just 335 cases. Says alot about both US health care and the administration's insistence on politicizing this. 

And no doubt in the US:

- The health insurance companies are somehow making profit out of the situation, including big promotions on expensive health insurance which some buyers actually can't afford.

- Poor folks with no insurance not getting tested or treated because the costs will bankrupt them.

Edited by scorecard

On 3/6/2020 at 5:28 PM, emptypockets said:

And all the grumpy old gits danced around their room with their zimmer frames.

You can bet your bottom dollar soi 6 will be awash with water regardless of any announcements.

If I were you, I wouldn't make such nasty jokes.

On 3/6/2020 at 5:28 PM, emptypockets said:

You can bet your bottom dollar soi 6 will be awash with water regardless of any announcements.

Image result for old guy angry

Young man I may have to give you a whooping......

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, Cake Monster said:

The Authorities made have announced that Songkran is cancelled, but all they need to do now is ACTUALLY stop the Thais doing exactly as they please, and carrying on anyway.

Easier said than done.

Official activities = planned events are cancelled. Nothing else. Throwing water outside bars in the streets are not events. 

On 3/6/2020 at 10:28 AM, emptypockets said:

Do not bet on it, Soi 6 will probably be closed by then any way...

8 hours ago, Basil B said:

Do not bet on it, Soi 6 will probably be closed by then any way...

About time it was knocked down, and turned into Condos anyway.

Edited by Jiggo
Spealling

4 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Whats Songram....

a cheaper version of Sangsom, a thai dark rum. locally known as a 'whiskey'.

not really. I know you know really so won't explain. not everyone spells it the same.

I am happy that it has been cancelled. Farangs have destroyed the true tradition of it and the Thai only doing it for the money they can get in selling the water guns. 

Bottomline, this what Farangs do, they go to other countries and destroy their culture traditional and the people don’t care until it late to correct it. 

9 minutes ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

I am happy that it has been cancelled. Farangs have destroyed the true tradition of it and the Thai only doing it for the money they can get in selling the water guns. 

Bottomline, this what Farangs do, they go to other countries and destroy their culture traditional and the people don’t care until it late to correct it. 

yep, Songkran was invented by western tourists, the 'water festival' to celebrate Buddhist new year did not exist until they came :coffee1:

9 minutes ago, jastheace said:

yep, Songkran was invented by western tourists, the 'water festival' to celebrate Buddhist new year did not exist until they came :coffee1:

Those who have been involved songkran many years, and I am talking over 30 years, will remember the quite refined way water was distributed by the older generation and young people alike, from little bowls, gently poured with a smile and good wishes. Do not be fooled into thinking the 'water wars', the festival has morphed into, was the original new year celebration template

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Those who have been involved songkran many years, and I am talking over 30 years, will remember the quite refined way water was distributed by the older generation and young people alike, from little bowls, gently poured with a smile and good wishes. Do not be fooled into thinking the 'water wars', the festival has morphed into, was the original new year celebration template

I get it, yes, I have been here for more than a few days myself. but the point is, 'farang' have made it was it is today. that is what I disagree with. 

farangs have not destroyed the tradition. the local population are more than capable and have been.

16 minutes ago, jastheace said:

I get it, yes, I have been here for more than a few days myself. but the point is, 'farang' have made it was it is today. that is what I disagree with. 

farangs have not destroyed the tradition. the local population are more than capable and have been.

I guess opinion depends on whether one feels the 'water wars' version spread from the bar areas

What they're saying is all official events are cancelled do you really think that they can stop the normal water fight that go's on i very much doubt it if anybody believes that I think they are being a bit naïve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

You don't know what you're talking about. Farangs haven't destroyed anything regarding Songkran. Thai people love splashing water all over the place. I have been around since 1989 (1994 in Pattaya) and it's been almost the same,of course bigger with more tourists. People like you can always hide inside and keep complaining about it. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 10:23 AM, scorecard said:

And no doubt in the US:

- The health insurance companies are somehow making profit out of the situation, including big promotions on expensive health insurance which some buyers actually can't afford.

- Poor folks with no insurance not getting tested or treated because the costs will bankrupt them.

My guess is that a visit to a hospital, where the kits are most likely available, for someone without insurance, would cost around 75,000 baht.

2 hours ago, Joeythai said:

Authorities just white-washing their hands, Songkran will be wet and grumpy old men will have to hide in their holes as usual

I'll probably sit in the garden by the pool with an icy cold SML!

On 3/7/2020 at 12:59 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Urban myth. There aren't any poor prostitutes working in gogo bars. I wish I had their monthly income. Taking a hit currently due to the abscence of the 2 week millionaire Koreans.

I don't mean poor in the financial sense.

I guess you think they enjoy their work and weren't forced into it.

Would you be happy with you daughters going into this line of work?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

SAongkran = Thais profiteer from AH's that get their kicks by pissing other people off...

15 hours ago, jastheace said:

a cheaper version of Sangsom, a thai dark rum. locally known as a 'whiskey'.

not really. I know you know really so won't explain. not everyone spells it the same.

Remember Sangtip......old name

You can't stop people from throwing water at each other. So it will be business as usual.  Stay away from Pattaya if you want to stay dry. 

Edited by balo