I've been thinking about moving from China to Thailand to do some ESL teaching, but all this talk about visa problems is rather confusing. I want to go to Thailand for 1 year. If i make around 35,000 bht a year, what kind problems can occur obtaining a visa?

I'm a 23 year old male without a degree.

I've been thinking about moving from China to Thailand to do some ESL teaching, but all this talk about visa problems is rather confusing. I want to go to Thailand for 1 year. If i make around 35,000 bht a year, what kind problems can occur obtaining a visa?

I am being generous and assuming you mean Baht 35,000.- per month.

Even so I would strongly suggest you spend your time getting some Formal qualifications before it is too late.

At 23 without a degree you may feel the world is your oyster, at 30 without a degree the picture is much less attractive.

Don't be tempted by the dreams of living in a tropical paradise just yet - teaching or whatever -, plenty of time for that when you have some qualifications; you will also earn more money then and be able to enjoy the experience a lot more.

I'm a 23 year old male without a degree

At 23 I seriously doubt you can convince anyone you are an expert with high enough standing to obtain a work permit without a degree. Any work done in Thailand without a work permit would be illegal.

For those with a keen eye for the obvious, yes, i meant 35,000 a month. While I don't have a degree, I do have a rather good fake TESOL and 3 years teaching experience in a small range of Asian and "tropical paradise" countries to bring to the table. So what I'm really asking is, with a 35,000 bht a month salary, the "TESOL" certificate, my experience, and my irresistible boyish charm, what kind of problems could i run into obtaining a proper visa.

BTW, I'm not thinking about what my degree situation will be when I hit 30. For whatever reason i need to, when i feel it is time to go home to complete my education, i will. It does not matter if I decide to go home at 25 or 35 years old, as long as I'm happy.

I guess a joke on my handle, "stilldozin", and my typo was too obvious for some?

BTW, I'm not thinking about what my degree situation will be when I hit 30. For whatever reason i need to, when i feel it is time to go home to complete my education, i will. It does not matter if I decide to go home at 25 or 35 years old, as long as I'm happy.

Ah .. the confidence of youth.

"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future."

Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC), Phrixus

But then as an (unqualified) teacher, I bet you knew that. :o

Quote out of context, but being a "qualified" teacher, I bet you knew that. I'm sick of these kinds of quotes. I'm really tired of these parrots. Quotes should be used sparingly. Reading forums nowadays, its like reading a toilet bowl "101 Famous Quotes" book.

p_brownstone, all we are talking about is a piece of paper, not an ancient Macedonian educational system. Actually, I almost have enough credits for a masters, but i don't have a degree because I have had a bad habit of changing majors/schools too often. Sometimes all my credits didn't apply to my new school/major. Anyway, let me assure you with all my youthful confidence that both my future and my past don't completely depend on my education as a youth.

Unfortunately, I find that for the most part, university grads are a rarely anymore intelligent then the average NJ mechanic. They just have a few more references to quote. I've met adult Literature grads that wouldn't know Huckleberry Finn from Royda Raskolnikov.

A "qualified" teacher was fired at my office last week. I guess his students were more interested in his teaching abilities rather than his qualifications...

"Stupidity grips every age."

-Me, 2004

What does everyone else think? Am I blinded by my youthful arrogance? Better find myself some quotes...

George, thanks for the info.

What does everyone else think? Am I blinded by my youthful arrogance?

Yes. But suspect you know that. Most can understand a teacher being more important than a document but there are laws in place which, if you try to use your wallpaper, could lead to real jail time. As George has told you, document fraud is a very serious crime here.

Yeah, i know. I was just blowing off some steam because your right. The need for a degree nowadays can really piss you off when you fall in love with Asia and don't feel like going back to being a student again. 60 hours work - 15 hours study.

Cheers

Yes, I know, George told me. After the first few replies i knew full well that a fake degree would be a problem. And yes, I am not into being cornholed by "bubba".

Looks like I'll have to finish out my contract in China, take a holiday somewhere in SEA, and head back home to get my degree.

Thanks for the information everyone. It is much appreciated.

SD

Did you see / read the Notice at the TOP?

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING !!

Important info!

You didn't tell us your Nationality ...

At first I thought you were Chinese ...

R