Covid-19 and the economy: Big four star Bangkok hotel operating for 50 years announces closure

rooster59

5 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

If it is a 4 star facility and 50 years old, it will no doubt be due for renovation. I see this as blaming the virus as an excuse to make the staff redundant while they lavish millions on renovation.

I would agree with you. They are taking advantage of the situation. They were going to renovate anyway. Perhaps not right now, but soon, so they decided now is good.

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Expect alot more of this. Tourism was on a major downturn long before Corona hit. Blame the army. Blame the racist rantings. 

Thailand was unprepared for this. From a standpoint of tourism, they simply have not been keeping up with the neighbors and the baht is way overvalued. Plus, when you hire from the bottom of the barrel, you have problems. Pipat and Anutin are just that. BOB selections. 

You say THB is way overvalued but in fact it's only about 7% so and recent falls against USD have eroded much of that. Journalists like to tell us that THB is as strong today as it was just before the 1997 crash, what does that have to do with anything? Pre-1997 was a totally different world from today, there were no foreign currency reserves, there was lots of foreign currency offshore loans, none of which exist today and the export/tourism picture was radically different from today. The point is that today is a whole new ball game, which granted will be impacted by the flu virus and the forthcoming global recession. But in terms of value, 5 to 7% is about the maximum that anyone can realistically expect given that Thailand has one years GDP in its savings account.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As others have mentioned, I suspect there will be a lot of hotels closing or pulling out of Thailand over the next year or so.

There are so many reasons to avoid Thailand right now if you're a Western tourist and so many nicer places that will welcome you.

Off the top of my head I thought there would be about 12 reasons but I am up to 19 now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect they want to use a ‘lese majeste’ clause.

It would seem they don’t want to pay staff while the renovation is on-going, they want to make the staff redundant, potentially using a lese Majeste clause so they don’t have to make redundancy payments according to labor laws, then re-hire the same staff once renovation is complete. 

If so, a very sh!tty way to treat their employees - I hope the Thai Labor department get involved with this so the employees don’t get the shaft. 

next you'll see businesses deliberatly spreading the virus for financial gain

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

As others have mentioned, I suspect there will be a lot of hotels closing or pulling out of Thailand over the next year or so.

There are so many reasons to avoid Thailand right now if you're a Western tourist and so many nicer places that will welcome you.

Off the top of my head I thought there would be about 12 reasons but I am up to 19 now.

Come back in a year and let's have that conversation, hotels aren't going anywhere. If you look at the satellite pictures of Beijing you'll note the pollution there cleared up beginning in January as the flu virus started to take hold...today it's coming back, people and business is going back to work.

10 minutes ago, saengd said:

hotels aren't going anywhere. 

A lot of guesthouses are already in serious trouble. I know the owner of a small resort on Samui who is already in dire straits. My wife has some friends who have places in Hua Hin and Chiang Mai who are saying similar things.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

Welcome to the real world,. I’ve been back and forth over many years and I’m supporting my Thai family with the overinflated baht its been driving tourism away for the last 5yrs. Corona virus being felt by many nationals throughout the world,. Thailand before the recession relied heavily upon foreign nationals,. Now it’s all about Chinese and Indian tourists,. Many ex pats have spent millions investing in Thailand “. I’ve always said treat those how you expected to be treated yourself,. Sometimes i feel like a second class citizen overcharged and disrespected,. I’m not bitter but I’m praying Thailand goes into recession,.then this overinflated baht will weaken and Thailand will prosper again,. Today’s army rule shows when looking through the history books it will end in heartbreak.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

If it is a 4 star facility and 50 years old, it will no doubt be due for renovation. I see this as blaming the virus as an excuse to make the staff redundant while they lavish millions on renovation.

You write as if this is the first renovation in a 50-year-old hotel.  I'm sorry, but this is utter nonsense.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SteveK said:

A lot of guesthouses are already in serious trouble. I know the owner of a small resort on Samui who is already in dire straits. My wife has some friends who have places in Hua Hin and Chiang Mai who are saying similar things.

Guest houses and small hotels are always going to be in trouble, there is an oversupply which is why government has tried to close some down using the license laws. Same is true of most aspects of tourism industry today, their is an oversupply of all things and lots of places need to fold. None of which says the industry is in trouble but for sure some small operators will be.

• Like 1

Do tell me when the room rates goes down, I need to go to Bangkok for a holiday.

Can someone recommend a good 3 star hotel in Bangkok?

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Once the coronavirus is contained with the next few months, the Chinese tourists would be back so this is a temporary situation.

In the meanwhile, I will take advantage of the lower room rates in Bangkok if any.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Once the coronavirus is contained with the next few months, the Chinese tourists would be back so this is a temporary situation.

In the meanwhile, I will take advantage of the lower room rates in Bangkok if any.

IBIS rooms are smallish but good value, IBIS Riverside is very nice, right on the banks of the river.

2 hours ago, sahibji said:

you cannot fool all the people all the time. they will not buy it.

I am not sure sure you have entirely grasped the concept of asian FACE. It is not really important if the people are fooled. Face means they have to buy it anyway....

6 minutes ago, SteveK said:

The problem with Thailand now is that it is too expensive for the super-budget backpackers and gap-year students, and too third-worldly and grubby for the well-heeled luxury travelers. They've kind of carved themselves a niche for tourists who want to spend more than places such as Vietnam, Bali or Mexico, but are happy to put up with the filth, corruption and poor customer service.

If you talk to the Chinese they all think that Thailand represents very good value, it's far cheaper here than back home.

• Like 2

This Hotel has been undergoing serious renovations for some time.  There is no main lobby, you have to enter thru the back door.  IT NEEDS TO BE SHUTDOWN until renovations are complete. It is unfair to your guests to list your property as a 4 star hotel in its current condition.  AND PLEASE!, stop blaming the Coronavirus on YOUR problems.

Sure, it all adds up BUT you created you own problems staying open during construction & renovations, so OWN UP TO IT!

Thai simply refuse to say they’re sorry for their mistakes.  Stop blaming everyone but yourselves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, saengd said:

If you talk to the Chinese they all think that Thailand represents very good value, it's far cheaper here than back home.

Probably cleaner, less corrupt and with better customer service too! Plus they can access the internet.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

Just now, Mister MXYZPTLK said:

This Hotel has been undergoing serious renovations for some time.  There is no main lobby, you have to enter thru the back door.

Thats not too uncommon though , I've stayed in a few hotels in BKK when I've entered through the back door 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Hotels do not operate for 50 years without renovations, normally its every 7-10 years,mdepnds on the occupancy and guest traffic.I think they will close down long term, the renovations are going to start slow and take forever, and with the payroll eliminated, they can sit it out.

A post containing a screenshot from some site has been removed as a screen shot is not a valid link, the replies were removed as well. Please include a link to the source of information when posting.

An off topic nonsense post has been removed.