Phu Nam Ron border crossing. OK for Non O immigration renewal ?

Is this border OK for a Multiple Non Imm O visa renewal at the moment ? ( as in border bounce ) .

I ask because this thread from August 2016 suggests that sometimes it isn't :

I  am assuming this was a temporary thing as I used this border in May 2018 and there was no problem. Ne need for a Burmese Visa. In fact , as I remember I waited on the Thai side while my passport was taken over for the entry and exit stamps.

Anybody been recently as leaving tomorrow ( with 4 days in hand ) and remembered tat this border often changes it's rules without much notice.

The report you cite dates from before the mild scam that they now run was introduced. They now want as many customers as possible because the Thai and Myanmar immigration pocket around 500 baht between them for each person doing a border bounce there. You will have no problem at all.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The report you cite dates from before the mild scam that they now run was introduced. They now want as many customers as possible because the Thai and Myanmar immigration pocket around 500 baht between them for each person doing a border bounce there. You will have no problem at all.

still one of the cheapest and easiest places to do a land border run

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Or $10 American dollars. Hide your Thai baht and tell them to take it or give them 300 baht. Works for me everytime

Not at Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing. You pay 960 baht for transport across no mans land that includes 500 baht for the border pass.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, steve187 said:

still one of the cheapest and easiest places to do a land border run

Yes, they can impose a big markup on US$10 and still be cheaper (for most nationalities) than a crossing to Laos or Cambodia. Of course, other crossings to Myanmar are much cheaper, but Phu Nam Ron is a much easier trip for many.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Yes, they can impose a big markup on US$10 and still be cheaper (for most nationalities) than a crossing to Laos or Cambodia. Of course, other crossings to Myanmar are much cheaper, but Phu Nam Ron is a much easier trip for many.

and you save a page in your passport, so a win win

• Like 1

Just crossed that border today. No other currency than THB. But everything went smoothless (apart from the fact that the IO wanted to film me while I got the temperature screening as I am from one of the risk countries (useless, as I haven‘t been to Europe since 8weeks))

• Thanks 2

On 3/7/2020 at 7:07 PM, BritTim said:

Interesting. I did 3 bounces last year, paid my fee at the agent's booth, stamped out of Thailand, 2x just waited in the little restaurant while my passport made the journey over and back. No cost at immigration entering. I've no idea what you and "Mitkof Island" are referring to. Ubonjoe is spot on about the cost. It's a great place to cross!!

On 3/7/2020 at 7:38 PM, ubonjoe said:

Not at Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing. You pay 960 baht for transport across no mans land that includes 500 baht for the border pass.

I regularly cross this border now, but with a visa in hand to travel into Myanmar.

I did ask Myanmar immigration about a border pass option. They said it's USD10 and you can visit Dawei and surrounding areas (including the beaches) for up to 2 weeks. You then have to head back the same way you came.

I assume if the OP wanted to, he could tell Thai immigration his intention to travel to Dawei using the border pass option.

I think the 960 Baht transportation thing only applies if you intend to come back the same day. A car to Dawei can be arranged for about 3,000 Baht for a private transfer or 600-800 if you're sharing with other passengers.

However, by August, it will end because the CIQ facilities will move to a new building located right on the border. Once that happens, you can probably just walk the remaining 1km or so to Burmese immigration (which they don't plan on upgrading for some time; only the Thai side has new buildings). Even if they don't allow you to walk, I'm sure Burmese drivers will be waiting on the Thai side in their dozens, eager to take you across...much like in Mae Sot, where there are long lines of Burmese Proboxes waiting near the bridge.

The current situation is somewhat frustrating and confusing - you tell Thai immigration or the guy at the coffee shop just behind that you want to head into Myanmar and he'll call for a car. Said car will be allowed to drive up to the barrier, but not across, meanwhile, lines of Thai cars cross freely with no one checking anything. Could be that some of these vehicles are owned by people who live in between the existing immigration and the new immigration complex, while others arrive from Htee Khee, where dozens of Thai cars drive around every day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

However, by August, it will end because the CIQ facilities will move to a new building located right on the border. Once that happens, you can probably just walk the remaining 1km or so to Burmese immigration (which they don't plan on upgrading for some time; only the Thai side has new buildings). Even if they don't allow you to walk, I'm sure Burmese drivers will be waiting on the Thai side in their dozens, eager to take you across...much like in Mae Sot, where there are long lines of Burmese Proboxes waiting near the bridge.

Thx for the explation. I saw the huge, new-built border post and asked myself if and when it`s going to be opened. It`s truly impressive for such a small border-post in that remote area. I also saw a huge (still-closed) road to that new building. That would mean that the whole bunch of restaurants, coffee-shops etc at the actual border-village would get useless. 

As you seem to have been there often. Is their anything behind the border? (except the small village and the road to Dawei) I asked myself, as I saw many Thais crossing the border in mini-vans, but without luggage.

Edited by SpanishExpat

Ok. Went ok today with no changes in procedure.

Was very slow though, two hours in total from start to finish.

First you pay your 960 baht before immigration will stamp you out then you have to wait in the coffee shop for the mini bus. I was waiting 45 minutes here for it to turn up by which time there were too many people to get in so 7 lucky people got to stay in the coffee shop while their passports made the trip.

I wanted to cross to see how it had changed since my last crossing. As Dr beach says, lots of development on the Thai side and a growing third world slum on the Burmese side. The contrast is laughable

Once on the Burmese side we had to wait 30 minutes while all the passports were processed then wasted another 15 minutes driving deeper into the shanty town so that the driver could collect his duty free stuff.

Back at Thai immigration no problems and nothing said about TM 30 or insurance. Through in 5 minutes  as I was first in the queue.

Lots of face masks in evidence , mostly around peoples chins or necks . No hand sanitation provided either so pretty slack on that account. No hordes of Chinese either as is now the case at Mae Sot.

14 hours ago, clorox said:

@Denimcan i ask what (van)service are you using to go to the border, my plan was to fly out and in, but in case airline shut down to where im going need to switch to second plan going to the border

I drive my own car there from Petchabun. 

However I believe there are van services that make the trip. Here is one from Youtube :

I have never used this service so don't know anything about it or the price. A google search might turn up others.

37 minutes ago, clorox said:

@Denimcan i ask what (van)service are you using to go to the border, my plan was to fly out and in, but in case airline shut down to where im going need to switch to second plan going to the border

If in Bangkok this one goes there. https://www.thaivisaservice.com/daily-border-run-to-kanchanaburi-border

On 3/9/2020 at 5:48 PM, Denim said:

Ok. Went ok today with no changes in procedure.

Was very slow though, two hours in total from start to finish.

First you pay your 960 baht before immigration will stamp you out then you have to wait in the coffee shop for the mini bus. I was waiting 45 minutes here for it to turn up by which time there were too many people to get in so 7 lucky people got to stay in the coffee shop while their passports made the trip.

I wanted to cross to see how it had changed since my last crossing. As Dr beach says, lots of development on the Thai side and a growing third world slum on the Burmese side. The contrast is laughable

Once on the Burmese side we had to wait 30 minutes while all the passports were processed then wasted another 15 minutes driving deeper into the shanty town so that the driver could collect his duty free stuff.

Back at Thai immigration no problems and nothing said about TM 30 or insurance. Through in 5 minutes  as I was first in the queue.

Lots of face masks in evidence , mostly around peoples chins or necks . No hand sanitation provided either so pretty slack on that account. No hordes of Chinese either as is now the case at Mae Sot.

I crossed there one time, albeit September 2017 for my 2nd year of OA, but recall getting stamped out first and then walking to a shop where a girl asked me “ visa run ?” , i paid 960 baht and a guy turned up in a pickup a couple of minutes later.

Must have been lucky because he drove me over, he did the passport stamp, drove me back, all took about 15/20 minutes.

Ironically I probably will use this border again in September to dump my OA and return visa exempt en route to an O visa . 

@ubonjoethank you for link, they look very knowledgeable, i like their fresh update of the situation, will definitely give them a try.

@Denim i don't think driving there are worth it for me since i live in Bangkok, fuel alone will cost more the 2k baht, worn and tear on your car and the driving 6hr plus going and returning, but thank you for the info

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

but recall getting stamped out first and then walking to a shop where a girl asked me “ visa run ?”

Other way around now. Immigration officer would not stamp me out until I had paid the agent and got the TM6 card stamped with the agents ' Batman ' logo which logo also appears on their van.

• Like 1