Long lasting tires / online ordering

canopy

I live in the twisty mountains and get 30K out of ecopia's on a vigo. This is too little and i wonder if something better is available. The tire model in Thailand is stores only carry the "economy" tires from the various manufacturers that wear out quickly and have no guarantees.  I miss the model in America where you can buy high quality tires online like at tirerack. It's actually pretty cool you just click exactly the tire you want from hundreds of options, really cheap prices, and they deliver them to the service station of your choice where you go to install them. Does anything like this exist in Thailand? And if not how can you find a decent tire here instead of just the bottom of the barrel stuff? I am out "in the provinces".

Edited by canopy

5 hours ago, canopy said:

how can you find a decent tire here instead of just the bottom of the barrel stuff?

Easy.  Have you tried the local websites of whatever manufacturer you fancy and clicked on "find a dealer"?  In five minutes I found scores of authorised dealers and I stopped after looking at just Pirelli, Yokohama, Continental and Bridgestone.

Buy local. Many good buys.

Mount and balance for free.

Choose any brand you want - from econo to full race sticky

Get to know your local dealers, avoid those chain stores if you want to deal with someone with some knowledge about tires. Most young guys who work there know less than you do.

• Thanks 1

I am drawing a blank from the advice thus far:

• Our B-Quik stocks exactly 2 tires that fit: bottom of the barrel michelin & bridgestone ecopia. They will not guarantee tread life and will not order any others.
  • The phrase "SK Auto Service" does not exist on the Lazada web site through google or the lazada search engine. But I did search for tires on lazada and alas, the BEST tires I found were once again, bottom of the barrel michelin & bridgestone ecopia.
  • Have scoured local web sites in both english and thai and through google maps. nothing but the same cheap tires again and again and other even cheaper brands.
  • Local guy, who I know well, seems a long shot but I will ask him for completeness if he would do a special order.

Sad that apparently the cheap and extensive online ordering model where the tires are shipped to a nearby service station and has worked so well in America for 25 years already, has apparently not yet arrived in Thailand. Keep the suggestions coming. And what about Bangkok? Any shops with decent quality tires for pickups instead of just the lowest quality stuff?

Try the Goodyear Autocare Shop on Chaengwattana... every time I go there  I see they have a lot of Tyres.

Sometimes you can only find low grade Tyres for lower end of the market pickups...maybe this is your problem... changing wheel size may give you a greater selection...

Hope this helps.

Tyre plus will order less common tyres.  Of coarse they will try to sell stock items first.  

Blackcircles.co.th seem to have an OK range at least for common sizes but I have only used them to check price.

30k does seem remarkable low for a pickup tyre.  Higher quality, more expensive tyres do not always last longer.   Might need to go easy on those twistys!

Edited by Jitar

On 3/8/2020 at 7:30 PM, canopy said:

I am drawing a blank from the advice thus far:

• Our B-Quik stocks exactly 2 tires that fit: bottom of the barrel michelin & bridgestone ecopia. They will not guarantee tread life and will not order any others.
  • The phrase "SK Auto Service" does not exist on the Lazada web site through google or the lazada search engine. But I did search for tires on lazada and alas, the BEST tires I found were once again, bottom of the barrel michelin & bridgestone ecopia.
  • Have scoured local web sites in both english and thai and through google maps. nothing but the same cheap tires again and again and other even cheaper brands.
  • Local guy, who I know well, seems a long shot but I will ask him for completeness if he would do a special order.

Sad that apparently the cheap and extensive online ordering model where the tires are shipped to a nearby service station and has worked so well in America for 25 years already, has apparently not yet arrived in Thailand. Keep the suggestions coming. And what about Bangkok? Any shops with decent quality tires for pickups instead of just the lowest quality stuff?

How can anyone guarantee tread life...?  ????

What size tyres are you looking for...?

At least a wear rating would be useful even if no guarantee. Something like the UTQG stamped on the tire. Right now the sellers just smugly tell you make believe km's they'll last and there is no accountability or comparison possible between different tires.

I looked at the blackcircles.co.th web site suggested and once again see only bottom of the barrel michelin and bridgestone ecopia's. It's like a broken record.

Personally I am looking for just the basic tire found on many Toyota pickup trucks. This should be an extremely popular size not just because Toyota is popular here, but also I imagine are the same size as what the other manufacturers use.

I also couldn't help but notice when looking online that the same tires made in Thailand cost less when purchased in America. Hmm...

On 3/8/2020 at 7:30 PM, canopy said:

Sad that apparently the cheap and extensive online ordering model where the tires are shipped to a nearby service station and has worked so well in America for 25 years already, has apparently not yet arrived in Thailand.

Yes, this is Thailand... land of unlimited tire choices at the conventional, drive-in tire shop.

9 hours ago, canopy said:

I also couldn't help but notice when looking online that the same tires made in Thailand cost less when purchased in America. Hmm...

I guess you could ship your ride to the US and get the tires u want and the price u like at the tire station you need.

Edited by NanLaew

SK Auto Service on Lazada is great.

Ordered some new rags for mine last Saturday, they were delivered on Monday and had them fitted at a local place Monday evening (Bt. 100 each corner for a strip fit and balance).

Ok some good possibilities are appearing now. Odd that michelin primacy is just 50 baht more than regular michelins. The yokohama's are amazingly cheap at 4000/each. Both have very good reviews. Also as one mentioned i see now that choice can be very dependent on rims. If getting big after market rims the selection would go way up. Thanks for all the tips confirming/learning what is out there.

Edited by canopy

OP, really hard to understand that you don't have tire shops where you live?

You can find Pirelli's, Michelin and other brands even in Sisaket.

Why ordering online?

You need them changed and balanced. Please look for a Cockpit shop, they usually have good quality tires, or they can order them.  

CM map.png

Just now, Isaanbiker said:

OP, really hard to understand that you don't have tire shops where you live?

You can find Pirelli's, Michelin and other brands even in Sisaket.

Why ordering online?

You need them changed and balanced. Please look for a Cockpit shop, they usually have good quality tires, or they can order them.  

CM map.png

I agree, plus the likes of Cockpit and B-quik give a written guaranty to fall back on if a prob...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

the likes of Cockpit and B-quik give a written guaranty to fall back on if a prob...

There isn't a cockpit nearby but i may give one further out a check in time. The nearest b-quik does not guarantee tread life. They say if you take care of the tires right what you SHOULD get, no guarantees. And I know from experience exactly how little i will get even when properly rotating them. Ever since moving to the twisty mountain roads tread life went way down. My thinking is a longer lasting tire will more than offset the extra cost. We'll see.

Edited by canopy

1 minute ago, canopy said:

There isn't a cockpit nearby but i may give one further out a check in time. The nearest b-quik does not guarantee tread life. They say if you take care of the tires right what you SHOULD get, no guarantees. And I know from experience exactly how little i will get even when properly rotating them. Ever since moving to the twisty mountain roads tread life went way down. My thinking is a longer lasting tire will more than offset the extra cost. We'll see.

Don't see how any tyre can have a guaranteed tread life, we all drive different, road surfaces are different, vehicle weights are different, plus front or rear wheel drive makes a difference..

• Like 1

Harder compound tires will last longer, while not providing as much traction.

Your life depends on those 4 patches of rubber contacting the road.

A sacrifice for long life could very well mean you won't have one.

Tire shops love me - I change way before they are "worn out"