Scottish grandad who had stroke in Bangkok apartment survived off tap water diet for 8 days

webfact

Note to TAT, Bangkok's tap water isn't only perfectly safe to drink, but a real life saver indeed. I trust you can spin that as you see fit.

On a more serious note, I wish the Scotsman a speedy and complete recovery!

He had left his home in Dunbar on January 16 to explore Thailand by himself for around two months.

From the "serious news source"

“The ambulance would not take him before £500 was paid. Then in the hospital they charge anything from £1,00 to £5,000 a day”, added Fiona.

The mum-of-one tried to phone his travel insurance provider to see if they would help with the costs of his care.

However, it was revealed that his policy would only work for trips under 31 days. Bill had been staying in Thailand for 37.

Quite a strange statements his daughter made. He wanted to travel through Thailand for two months, but his travel insurance expired after 30 days?

But hey, no worries, others will pay for him. I'd not go to the most expensive hospital if I do not have enough money. That's not fair. 

Why do some people believe that they're so special?

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Further problems emerged when Bill was raced to hospital.

“The ambulance would not take him before £500 was paid. :shock1: Then in the hospital they charge anything from £1,00 to £5,000 a day”,

Bangkok hospital, where they take good care of your finances.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

He had left his home in Dunbar on January 16 to explore Thailand by himself for around two months.

“The ambulance would not take him before £500 was paid. Then in the hospital they charge anything from £1,00 to £5,000 a day”, added Fiona.

The mum-of-one tried to phone his travel insurance provider to see if they would help with the costs of his care.

However, it was revealed that his policy would only work for trips under 31 days. Bill had been staying in Thailand for 37.

Quite a strange statements his daughter made. He wanted to travel through Thailand for two months, but his travel insurance expired after 30 days?

But hey, no worries, others will pay for him. I'd not go to the most expensive hospital if I do not have enough money. That's not fair. 

Did he have a visa?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Pravda said:

Another reason why you should get your kicks while young instead of trying to "explore" the world while 1 foot in the grave. 

what a load of bull shi,  why that even at 40 u canget a stroke even at 18 get hart atack look a nuri from ajax

As usual with these gofundme style stories things don't add up. He went travelling for around two months, yet his insurance was valid for only 30 days. He is in a private hospital in Bangkok where staff don't speak English. 

Thank the gods he was found.

Now that he made it to hospital they have to consider what sort of diseases and critters he drank in the Thai tap water !!!! Frigin e-coli, cholera, amebic dysentery fest!!! 

If he lost use of his voice due to the stroke, understandable, but if not then maybe there is something to be said for being welded to your mobile device as some folks are ... lol. 

If too debilitated from the stroke understandable, or too far from his phone [if he had one that is?], ... I wonder why he couldn't type emergency number and press send. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Of course as is the case for most old bastards here there would be no insurance because can't happen to me, 

The real grief starts when the clock starts ticking in ER 

A true Scotsman takes the view it is better to die than pay those bills. 

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Do we really need to know how many kids the daughter has?

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Further problems emerged when Bill was raced to hospital.

“The ambulance would not take him before £500 was paid. :shock1: Then in the hospital they charge anything from £1,00 to £5,000 a day”,

This is absolute rubbish! I have been treated as an inpatient on 2 occasions in Khon Kaen Government Hospital and have had excellent treatment for a fraction of the alleged cost in this post!  But maybe this guy wanted single room and 5* service!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

If too debilitated from the stroke understandable, or too far from his phone [if he had one that is?], ... I wonder why he couldn't type emergency number and press send. 

How many people of his age take their phone to the bathroom?

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Where else would the sink likely be located?   Could be the kitchen, if there was one, but also likley that this would have a drain also.

Is a kitchen floor drain common ?

Ive not rented too many apartments but those I have did not have a floor drain in the kitchen.

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

Note to TAT, Bangkok's tap water isn't only perfectly safe to drink, but a real life saver indeed. I trust you can spin that as you see fit.

On a more serious note, I wish the Scotsman a speedy and complete recovery!

Ironically, here at TVF I read quite awhile ago that BKK tap water was akin to poison...

Now, where are the best spin doctors?

Yes, on a more serious note, I wish the Scotsman a speedy and complete recovery!

12 hours ago, Pravda said:

Another reason why you should get your kicks while young instead of trying to "explore" the world while 1 foot in the grave. 

Or make sure one of those lovely nurses is always by your side in case you need intensive care treatment.

sexy-outfits-3.jpg.0aaa702b670382974eb5d97587897dd8.jpg

4 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

. I wonder why he couldn't type emergency number and press send

The emergency number is 1669 i think for an ambulance but i dont think it can trace your whereabouts if you can only send or dial and cannot speak thai or are barely able to speak.

Not as in the Uk  a 999 call will trace you.

I would like to be wrong on this and would be interested in an emergency number that if you are in need will get you emergency help here in Thailand?

17 hours ago, Don Mega said:
17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Where else would the sink likely be located?   Could be the kitchen, if there was one, but also likley that this would have a drain also.

Is a kitchen floor drain common ?

Ive not rented too many apartments but those I have did not have a floor drain in the kitchen.

Mine has one but then the chances are that he was found in the bathroom, so it's a moot point

• 2 weeks later...

No fool like an old fool - what was he thinking travelling overseas with no travel/health insurance?

GoFundMe should change their tagline to "Get money from strangers for your own stupidity"