The Name Of This Flower/plant?

It's definitely helliconia family

I looked it up once as I have about 3 clumps of this plant

I think it was beaked helliconia ??

OK found it on google

heliconias

Heliconia rostrata

Thank you very much indeed. I did try googling Thailand flowers but was inundated with florists.

Also called bird of paradise (the straight up ones, anyway). The ones with brackets that point to the sky are erect heliconia; the one like yours, Jay, is a pendant. Scientific names are fancier. Best grown from a piece of the root, as SBK noted, but they do have big black round seeds, if you have about ten years to wait for sprouts.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Nope, not a Bird of Paradise. The Bird of Paradise is not a heliconia, a common misconception, jet. Bird of Paradise is Strelitzia reginae while a heliconia is well, a heliconia. Bird of Paradise, like the Travellers Palm (Ravenala madagascariensis), are both members of the Strelitzia family. Used to be included in the Musa genera (banana) but apparently that classification is under dispute.

Bird of Paradise:

s_regflr.jpg

Just call me a plant geek :o

I love it! A plant debate. See what you started Jayenram!

I was puzzled by your post, Sbk, so doublechecked on what I have for notes.

True, the pendant heliconia, such as Jay has, is known as the “false” bird of paradise, but all of these rhizomes are of the Heliconiaceae (heliconia) family. As I scribbled above, the heliconia with the “erect” (straight up) brackets, or really the more side-pointed version, as you pictured, is among what plant lovers call the “true” bird of paradise plants. I do not know all of the botanical species names (as you do!) but many websites, such as Clemson, National Geo, etc, offer the Latin derivatives for the true hobby botanists. There are so many crosses now that the heliconia variations do make for a spectacular exotic garden.

Jay, Asia Books have a series on tropical plants, trees, spices, etc, with colour photos and notes that make it easier to name a plant. If I remember, about Bt450.

Hey that is funny.

I bought this one on a flower market in BKK but when I got them home they never opened up.

I puttted them in a large vase and made sure they had enough water.

Is this an indoor or outdoor plant?

Sorry I dunno much about plants, flowers, or anything. :o

Alex

Hi, Alex. No these plants do not bloom like roses or tulips. The coloured "bracket" is the mature plant. You can put in water as an arrangement, but they are outdoor plants, easily grown in the tropics (but you need to start them from the root). For cut heliconia, change the water every day to keep them fresh for a few weeks.

Planted about 40-50 new plants and trees on last visit (carbon footprint secured )plus Spuds ,Chessnuts and Grape vines as well as some of these / this one...any idea wot it is ?

Looks like a cross between a tom and a yellow pepper (with ears ) :o

OK found it on google

heliconias

Heliconia rostrata

In Thai we call it as ปากนกแก้ว "Pak Nok Gaew"

Scientific name: Heliconia rostrata Ruiz & Pav.; Heliconia poeppigiana; Bihai rostrata

Common names : Hanging Heliconia; Lobster Claw

Others thai names : สร้อยกัทลี Sroi Guttalee

• 2 weeks later...
Planted about 40-50 new plants and trees on last visit (carbon footprint secured )plus Spuds ,Chessnuts and Grape vines as well as some of these / this one...any idea wot it is ?

Looks like a cross between a tom and a yellow pepper (with ears ) :D

My wife calls them Makua Nam Chong. (good luck aubergine)

Apparently they sell for 10 baht each fruit! Good luck for the seller :o

Regards

Looks like a cross between a tom and a yellow pepper (with ears ) :D

Hi Rinrada

Think you will find it is from the Marigold family....i.e. inflated rubber gloves :o

TBWG :D