Antenna To Boost Mobile Phone Reception?

Crushdepth

Is it possible to buy some sort of antenna that will improve the reception of my mobile phone?

I live in a condo many stories up, and the mobile phone signal is pretty awful, even on the balcony. I keep getting flaky connections to towers I know are several kilometers away.

I am dependant on the mobile for internet connection (phone lines are full this area), and the constant drop outs drive me nuts. At ground level everything works fine.

Thanks.

Edited by Crushdepth

either use a car antenna that plugs into your phone if you have the socket, or get a gsm repeater (this option may be a problem in a condo as it has a large yagi antenna). i have one of the latter, cost about 200 bucks.

Edited by phazey

Certainly possible, best results you get from a powerbooster combined with external antenna.

Have no idea where to buy in Thailand though! Do make sure you buy one for the right frequency. AIS is on 900 Mhz, while Dtac (I think, confirm yourself) and True are on 1800 Mhz...

Reason for the bad reception in your case is because the directional antennae mounted on the cell towers are angled slightly downward.

Guest Reimar
Certainly possible, best results you get from a powerbooster combined with external antenna.

Have no idea where to buy in Thailand though! Do make sure you buy one for the right frequency. AIS is on 900 Mhz, while Dtac (I think, confirm yourself) and True are on 1800 Mhz...

This will works but you'll need to now where the next Antenna from AIS/TAC is locate because you'll need to point the Yagi-Antenna to that direction.

The equipment: Antenna and/or Booster you'll find at Ban Mor in the China Town of Bangkok. There is also the first epartments Store of Bankok: Old Siam and on the 3. Floor is Amorn where you can find that antennas as well, but a lttle more expensive as on Ban Mor and without any Warranty! The cost will be between 1,500 to 3,000 Baht. The Antenna is easly to fix to a Balcony Handle!

In the Village of my wifes parents we use a Yagi-Antenna to point to an 15 km away Main-Antenna (AIS 900) and get a 3 level connection at all time. The phone is a Siemens which have an Antenna connector!

Just a reminder to use common sense with the larger antennas, I'm told by thai friends that people are occasionally killed by using them during storms. Lightning rod with a direct connection to your head.

Is it possible to buy some sort of antenna that will improve the reception of my mobile phone?

I live in a condo many stories up, and the mobile phone signal is pretty awful, even on the balcony. I keep getting flaky connections to towers I know are several kilometers away.

I am dependant on the mobile for internet connection (phone lines are full this area), and the constant drop outs drive me nuts. At ground level everything works fine.

Thanks.

Had the same problem back home you can buy a tv style ariel and buy a connecting lead for your phone, go to one of the mobile phone shops and they will probably be able to sort you out with both, if your phone does not have a plug they have a stick on style adaptor.

I had a poor signal problem with my mobile phone using Dtac, I asked at a local mobile phone shop

And they had an external antenna for Dtac which came complete with a long connection lead

And mounting brackets, the shop also had the plug to connect the antenna to my phone

Connected it up and the signal strength went from one bar to maximum, all for 700 baht.

The antenna is about 3 foot long and 4 inches wide should go on a balcony OK

The shop had different antennas for each provider, so they are out there some where …

Mumbo