1st time "visiting" Thailand now..?

GoJo

Hi there, I had the idea to visit SEA & neighbors for long and found a cheap flight route to BKK. Turns out this route ends (forever) at the end of March. This + the current situation of Western Europe (where i'm sadly located but fortunately out of feeling not in a place with many cases) and the (very) low infected rate in the tropics (heat has a definite impact of the virus) make me feel it's is a sign (????) and i should definitely be leaving now, last chance! But i apprehend a lot. I always did and it's worse now of course. I've been to Asia, but far east only = Japan and S.Korea. Never been to the tropics. But over there during sunny summer days was quite something already.. 

Now, with that virus sh*t, i'd have to wear a mask on top of that.. Would be a good endurance training certainly ???? Seriously, that is not only a unique experience but also, mostly, sounds better than being stuck "home" with dirty idiots for weeks months, getting sick for sure and perhaps dying. That in the last place i'd ever want to! I have one (only) Thai online friend, she told me Thai locals are getting mad at tourist not wearing masks. At the same time, she's telling me only simple surgical mask are available & filter mask all gone and stock may well take long to come back.

Do you confirm? That friend's seems to be very nice person, much nicer than other Thai i met (either bad luck, either they're just very.. "different" out of their country, like many perhaps). We did video calls (it was her wish, to see if i was real, etc.. lots of various scam by foreigners it seems), she showed me her place, etc.. I know her address, name, phone. She actually even offered me to stay in her place at some point! I was very surprised, i heard Thai are very kind but that's not what i experienced at all. Unsure that'd still be the case though.

She's living in BKK but coming from province, i can't recall which though. She also, like me, can't understand why it's called "land of smiles" as people generally don't ????. I read a lot of articles about how to prepare for first travel over there but still felt the need to post there and talk to people of experience, getting more recommendations, etc.. I put "visiting" in quotes because i'm not typical tourist visiting famous place, i'm more into taking the time to see and experience life there like a local, more or less. I plan to visit neighbors before returning (maybe!). Well.. Time is running out! ????

PS: Quarantine for some western EU citizen was planned and then Thai gov changed their mind i read in an article posted yesterday. No fever = No problem.

Edited by GoJo
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, GoJo said:

PS: Quarantine for some western EU citizen was planned and then Thai gov changed their mind i read in an article posted yesterday. No fever = No problem.

what country are you from? will they let you back in? how long are you staying? what visa?

make sure you stay out of Pattaya.

Bangkok will be bad enough.

almost every public event has been cancelled. and some you have never heard of. so is this a good time to come for you?

restaurants are switching to take out only. 

if you get sick while you are here you are stuck no flight out. and they will hand you a huge hospital bill.  

on the other hand people in the south in very touristy areas are reporting lots of tourists. so you tell me. is the virus lurking just below the surface here in Thailand and you are flying right into it?  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

will they let you back in? how long are you staying? what visa?

make sure you stay out of Pattaya

The one that makes you feel you're in the 3rd world. Yes they would let me back in. Some wouldn't take their citizen back? Curious to know if so, never heard or even imagined. I wouldn't go to Pattaya. I'm not a sex tourist. It's just a tourist visa, so it's a month at max.

23 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

That's an interesting information, i did not know. Is it like there is no place to sit apart public parks somehow..? Were there mentions about cutting off public transport (rumors, gov plans, etc)?

18 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

is the virus lurking just below the surface here in Thailand and you are flying right into it?  

I do not understand that part. Perhaps not so good at English!

3 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

take every business transaction as an opportunity for the seller to be mischievous with a "rookie" tourist.

Sounds like i should bargain for evertyhing (including food?) and makes me wonder : is it common pratice to NOT show prices/must ask? Both these things combined are such an annoyance.. ???? 

10 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

One thing I want you to be aware of, Thai women are very charming...

I've never been there but i read quite a lot, watched docs.. 1/ My friend is not attracted to men in general 2/ I'm very picky and not attracted by her 3/ She & her friends do not have the low education usually linked to the girl you refer to. But of course, i could meet others..!

PS: Off topic, why is that i can't login the forum using the smartphone app "Tapatalk"? Tried both mail/nick..

32 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

if you get sick while you are here you are stuck no flight out.

Hardly a hardship, there are worse places to be stuck. Some would give their right nut to be quarantined in Nana Plaza or Pattaya Soi 6. Though making love wearing a Hazmat suit may prove tricky.

In view of what is going down worldwide, I do not believe the Thai figures for number infected.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

it will be interesting the affect this has on your trip, if any.

WHO classifies COVID-19 as a Pandemic. Finally.

"WHO has been assessing this outbreak around the clock and we are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction"- #COVID19
_l61qZdR_reasonably_small.jpg

BREAKING

????
"We have therefore made the assessment that #COVID19 can be characterized as a pandemic"- #coronavirus
Edited by NCC1701A

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

All restaurants? 

Or some restaurants? Less than 1%

Any restaurants? Names, links? 

To the OP.

You not a sex tourist.

Welcome to Thailand. Hope you enjoy. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Yinn said:

They can get a job. 

Same 99% of thai people. 

Not enough worker in thailand, need 3 million Burmese, Khmer and Laos.

It is not that simple and I think that you know that.

The '3 million' is mostly because of the minimum wage laws. Those laws do not apply to immigrant workers.

I do enjoy reading your posts though. Keep it up.

23 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Not enough worker in thailand, need 3 million Burmese, Khmer and Laos.

When tourism resumes, the ladyboys can leave Sukhumvit and work in the makeup departments in the malls. Bet ya Eurpoean tourism goes down another 25% after the ladyboys are gone.

Hell, go to a Nordies sometimes in the states.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

All restaurants? 

Or some restaurants? Less than 1%

Any restaurants? Names, links? 

To the OP.

You not a sex tourist.

Welcome to Thailand. Hope you enjoy. 

did you read his post?  he's traveling to los to bang some girl he met online of course he's a sex tourist

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, GoJo said:

I wouldn't go to Pattaya. I'm not a sex tourist. It's just a tourist visa, so it's a month at max.

No one on this forum is a sex tourist nor have they ever paid their wife or girlfriend.

Back to Corona, don't come, travel insurance won't cover you, there won't be enough ventilators if an epidemic here, if a miracle happens and they put you on one, be ready for a gigantic bill easy 1m+

53 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Life of misery, in this country where the rich don't share.

And they shouldnt have to. The fruits of a mans labor belong to him and to take it is theft.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

You are fun Nyezhov, but somewhat limited in your knowledge of human societies and their social relationships.

Hey thanks, so you should have no problem then intellectually putting the boots to me. And what a wonderful topic! So lets begin shall we? I wont insult your intelligence until after.

15 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Capitalism itself has adopted sharing rules to avoid this pitfall and to keep the system going.

Tell me what the pitfall is. Tell me what "sharing rules" have been adopted by capitalism? 

16 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

But the wealthy Thais refuse these rules.

Assuming such rules exist, what demonstrates that wealthy Thais refuse them?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Victornoir said:

Income taxes, employee and employer contributions for education, health and retirement, inheritance tax, value added tax, minimum income (not in your country but for more than 20 years in mine) tax financing of infrastructure useful for all etc...

Thats not a rule of capitalism.

The wealthy Thais are exempt for most of these charges.

Really. Rich Thais pay no taxes? 

The income gap here is one of the largest in the world.

So what.

This society protects its privileges with institutions that cannot be named here and as a last resort, when the pressure from the street becomes too strong it installs the army (its army, eh) in power

BS. Thats a totally western oriented simplistic view of Thai society.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GoJo said:

She's living in BKK but coming from province, i can't recall which though.

Issan ............

n00b poster (troll) meets bar girl online and thinks he's in a relationship story, so writes an essay about it.

Bring lots of money with you.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

White men's money is shared out amongst women and non-whites.

By two processes called 'welfare' and 'family court'.

You can only avoid these two processes by refusing to earn money, and refusing to associate with women.

you and I need to write a book. It would be a best seller, and I have no wife or kids to steal  my money. Further, my accountant has a sign on his desk that says "F the IRS" and he knows how to do offshore stuff.

• Haha 2

We did video calls (it was her wish, to see if i was real, etc.. lots of various scam by foreigners it seems), she showed me her place, etc.. I know her address, name, phone. She actually even offered me to stay in her place at some point!

Very bad idea to stay at her place, if she and her brothers cut you up and dissolve you in acid for your cash you won't be able to ask for help here anymore.

Better take a hotel room, also nicer for her, or maybe airbnb.

When you leave again insist she has to send you 'updates' of what she is doing every 30 minutes. If she doesn't bother you know she doesn't love you. If she disappears for 3 weeks she is with another dating client.

If she tells you her mother's business is going bad or her sister had a scooter accident resist the urge to send money.

Otherwise enjoy Thailand, lovely country.