Wood Or Metal

jackspratt

I am about to start upgrading the tilak's house (in Issan), to bring it to a more comfortable standard. A large part of the upgrading will be in the large upstairs room (wood frame, corrugated iron roof), including putting in a ceiling, internally lining the external walls, and building a new internal wall to divide the room.

I am likely to use plasterboard (gyprock) as the lining material for both the walls and the ceiling.

My question is - to use wood or metal (aluminium for the ceiling joists, light steel for the wall studs) as the framing material?

Would welcome any thoughts or previous experiences, particularly on the local tradesmen using the metal alternative.

jack

I am about to start upgrading the tilak's house (in Issan), to bring it to a more comfortable standard. A large part of the upgrading will be in the large upstairs room (wood frame, corrugated iron roof), including putting in a ceiling, internally lining the external walls, and building a new internal wall to divide the room.

I am likely to use plasterboard (gyprock) as the lining material for both the walls and the ceiling.

My question is - to use wood or metal (aluminium for the ceiling joists, light steel for the wall studs) as the framing material?

Would welcome any thoughts or previous experiences, particularly on the local tradesmen using the metal alternative.

jack

steel is far easier to work with (always straight) and will not suffer bug problems and since you are covering it with gypsum anyhow, the ugly look is irrelevant.

A large part of the upgrading will be in the large upstairs room (wood frame, corrugated iron roof),

As you know the steel roof will get super hot in summer. Will you be fitting a couple of those rotating ventilators?

A large part of the upgrading will be in the large upstairs room (wood frame, corrugated iron roof),

As you know the steel roof will get super hot in summer. Will you be fitting a couple of those rotating ventilators?

Yes, one or two rotating ventilators, plus flow through openings, plus 4" fibreglass batts. Hopefully will be enough - if not air-con will be next.

Thanks to all for your responses. Steel it is!