Driver's Licence UK

Neeranam

The plastic ID version came out years ago in 1999.

However:

From 8 June 2015 the paper counterpart to all UK photocard driving licences will be abolished. ... If you have a paper driving licence issued before 1998, when photocards were introduced, DO NOT DESTROY IT. It is still a legal document and proof of your eligibility to drive in the UK.Apr 30, 2015

Yes, use your Thai licence to avoid any potential problems. Dependent on the length of your trip, you may want to consider updating your DL whilst there.

It is still valid but you may have trouble exchanging it for a new plastic one if you have been in Thailand for a number of years. I believe that after being out of the country for a certain time you have to re-take the test.  I'm not sure how long it is now but you may want to check on the DVLA site.

Edited by Baht Simpson

4 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

It is still valid but you may have trouble exchanging it for a new plastic one if you have been in Thailand for a number of years. I believe that after being out of the country for a certain time you have to re-take the test.  I'm not sure how long it is now but you may want to check on the DVLA site.

There is no such requirement. There is a clear explanation for renewal and replacing your licence . No test has to be done if you passed the test in the UK before

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Say you've changed address and they should exchange it for free... I believe.

You could also fallback on your Thai one... I believe.

Your 2 believe statements are correct. Get your UK Licence renewed with address asap. Cheaper on the insurance 

24 minutes ago, maprao said:

There is no such requirement. There is a clear explanation for renewal and replacing your licence . No test has to be done if you passed the test in the UK before

Indeed. Valid until 70th birthday, isn't it? DVLA couldn't give a monkey's if one has lived on the moon in the interim!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Renew it online. I’ve done it twice and I left the uk 23 years ago.

Yes, but you need a UK Address. You can't do it if you have no UK address.

You can use a family  members address. But if you have been non resident it becomes a little more complex 

1 hour ago, maprao said:

Yes, but you need a UK Address. You can't do it if you have no UK address.

You can use a family  members address. But if you have been non resident it becomes a little more complex 

I got mine sent to my dads address

• Like 1

3 hours ago, singasong said:

Illegal to re-new a DL if you are non -resident.

Yes it is 100s do it.

You sound just like my family in the UK

For this reason I never bother asking anymore. 

If someone challenges you said they lived here and moved out

Edited by maprao