'People are terrified': Daily life on hold as Americans face coronavirus threat

webfact

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats such a childish statement. Why dont you tell that to the families of the dead soldiers he honours at Dover AirForce base.

He goes for the photo op. Which works given by the fact that a fellow in Thailand is bleating about it on an internet forum.

He does have a monstrous ego, but he doesnt use I as much as Barack. Plus he never promised to heal the planet.

I wouldn't compare the two. 44 had class.

But to return to the topic at hand I will grant that the liberal press is disgracefully cynical using C-19 as a cudgel to beat Trump with. They are fanning the flames of C-19 hysteria. But it could backfire terribly if the epidemic subsides and the economy recovers well before before 11/3.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1

He does have a monstrous ego, but he doesnt use I as much as Barack. Plus he never promised to heal the planet.

This is one of those fake claims made by the right wing media:

Trump and Obama have one surprising thing in common – the words they use

"Obama’s rhetoric is 69 percent more self-referential than the presidential average, and Trump exceeds Obama by another 20 percent."

https://theconversation.com/trump-and-obama-have-one-surprising-thing-in-common-the-words-they-use-81309

Trump wins! MAGA!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

He goes for the photo op. Which works given by the fact that a fellow in Thailand is bleating about it on an internet forum.

But to return to the topic at hand I will grant that the liberal press is disgracefully cynical using C-19 as a cudgel to beat Trump with. They are fanning the flames of C-19 hysteria. But it could backfire terribly if the epidemic subsides and the economy recovers well before before 11/3.

Newsom from Cali and Cuomo from NY both have praised the administrations efforts. They are usually two of the most self righteous, condescending negative, liberals around. There is finally some sense of people getting sick of the political ramblings and it is becoming very unpopular to use this slant now.

The dems can politicize every death that is from the virus at their own peril. They can secretly hope this derails Trump but they must stop coming off so gleeful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Because the facts show that the Trump administration has handled the situation competently? Really? You do know that they turned down an offer of COVID test kits from WHO because they preferred to go it alone? And there is still a huge shortage of kits in the USA. Despite Trump's claim otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Why Me said:

I don't disagree. The Trump Admin botched their response. And putting the bootlicking God-nut Pence in charge doesn't inspire confidence. And even earlier slashing funding to agencies like the NSF and NHS, not to mention disbanding the pandemic office, didn't help either.

But the problem is seeing this the Dems think they have the man by the short hairs and can ride the pandemic to the Oval O. This is cynical and objectionable.

Worse the US press has split into two camps, one shrieking apocalypse now and the other feigning a yawn. Who to believe?

Maybe you'll have more confidence in Trump if he lets 12,000 Americans die like Obama did with swine flu?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

6% fatality rate in Italy - just think about that for a moment when it is unleashed on the morbidly obese, diabetic and the elderly in the US and the hospitals are overwhelmed in about 10 days time. It has subsided in China because they have virtually locked down their WHOLE COUNTRY. You simply have no idea what is coming and soon. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8113675/Italian-town-centre-coronavirus-pandemic-holding-funeral-30-minutes.html

Complete BS. 

• Like 1

Trump to the nation's governors -- don't wait for us!!!

President Trump told a group of governors Monday morning that they should not wait for the federal government to fill the growing demand for respirators needed to help people diagnosed with coronavirus.

“Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment — try getting it yourselves,” Mr. Trump told the governors during the conference call, a recording of which was shared with The New York Times.

“We will be backing you, but try getting it yourselves. Point of sales, much better, much more direct if you can get it yourself.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/world/coronavirus-news.html?#link-608173f0

Meanwhile, as Trump talked, the stock market tanked again Monday, big time!

288148381_2020-03-1700_36_38.jpg.192cd4606ece2b5bbf0cc58c75903ee0.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's how 45 would have run his reelection campaign if Bernie had been nominated, which he won't be. In other words label him a commie 24/7 and conflate life under Bernie with Venezuela. Would enough voters fall for that B.S.? No doubt!

This genuinely surprises and amuses me. Commies, Chi Coms. I thought that had come to an end when the wall came down but not at all. The Chinese system is more capitalist than any other in the world but some are still fervently battling the Kremlin. I really never thought people still had one foot in the sixties.

Reminds me of the Japanese guys living up a mountain until 1989 still thinking WW2 was going.

Especially all those who were running off to Vietnam when the income letters got scuppered, coveniently forgetting that Vietnam is Commie too.

Anyway, if you want to know how to hold back this virus, ask the ChiComs. 70000 back on the street in six weeks. However they have a small question, so avoid the FM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Why Me said:

I don't disagree. The Trump Admin botched their response. And putting the bootlicking God-nut Pence in charge doesn't inspire confidence. And even earlier slashing funding to agencies like the NSF and NHS, not to mention disbanding the pandemic office, didn't help either.

But the problem is seeing this the Dems think they have the man by the short hairs and can ride the pandemic to the Oval O. This is cynical and objectionable.

Worse the US press has split into two camps, one shrieking apocalypse now and the other feigning a yawn. Who to believe?

You won't know till the numbers are crunched well in the future. One side will have lower numbers of infections and death from infections. The other side will point out that's because they have no idea how many people were infected and subsequently died as a result. When this is all over, deaths exceeding seasonal norms for flu will probably be swept back into the coronavirus count. It's a short term political calculation in lieu of a medical response.

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Trump to the nation's governors -- don't wait for us!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/world/coronavirus-news.html?#link-608173f0

Meanwhile, as Trump talked, the stock market tanked again Monday, big time!

288148381_2020-03-1700_36_38.jpg.192cd4606ece2b5bbf0cc58c75903ee0.jpg

Glad you are excited about the average small time Grandpas losing their nest eggs! The thing is the rich that people hate so much are more sophisticated and will win out of it in the end. This is one of the biggest money transfers from the middle class to the upper class in our lifetimes. You realize that you can also play the short right?

Anyway was in the supermarket today much better supplied than last time. Still no toilet paper but half of the hand sanitizers and that cr@p were stocked. If you didn't know better and it was Villa Market it would be no different than a peak tourism day. Some things missing for no reason.

Canned goods fully stocked, some bread was missing but you could get bread if you aren't too fussy about what it is. The white bread was sold out and the Twnkies and Ding Dongs. 

This leads me to conclude that the buying power of food stamps (EBT) and minimum wage workers has run out. I don't mean that to be evil but if you're even middle class you had these supplies already, if you are rich you can get whatever you want. So it is actually the poorest people that waste the precious resource of their only cash or put it on credit that hoard this way. 

It's  getting into panic territory in the big cities. I guess in the future you just have to factor that risk in if you live such places. Imagine being force quarantined into your 10 sqf closet in SF or NYC. Wonder with the curfew in SF at midnight how they handle the homeless?

I don't think there is a jail or hospital big enough for them to enforce any kind of compliance. At least not where I live.

In an ironic twist of fate violators are held offshore in the bay on an abandoned cruise ship.

Edited by Cryingdick

20 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Glad you are excited about the average small time Grandpas losing their nest eggs! The thing is the rich that people hate so much are more sophisticated and will win out of it in the end. This is one of the biggest money transfers from the middle class to the upper class in our lifetimes. You realize that you can also play the short right?

Anyway was in the supermarket today much better supplied than last time. Still no toilet paper but half of the hand sanitizers and that cr@p were stocked. If you didn't know better and it was Villa Market it would be no different than a peak tourism day. Some things missing for no reason.

Canned goods fully stocked, some bread was missing but you could get bread if you aren't too fussy about what it is. The white bread was sold out and the Twnkies and Ding Dongs. 

This leads me to conclude that the buying power of food stamps (EBT) and minimum wage workers has run out. I don't mean that to be evil but if you're even middle class you had these supplies already, if you are rich you can get whatever you want. So it is actually the poorest people that waste the precious resource of their only cash or put it on credit that hoard this way. 

It's  getting into panic territory in the big cities. I guess in the future you just have to factor that risk in if you live such places. Imagine being force quarantined into your 10 sqf closet in SF or NYC. Wonder with the curfew in SF at midnight how they handle the homeless?

I don't think there is a jail or hospital big enough for them to enforce any kind of compliance. At least not where I live.

Imagine for a moment that the nation had a leader capable of leading.

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

It already looks like the world Bernie wants. Empty shelves, no planes, permission to travel to other cities. I lived in Poland and they still had guards at your apartment complex that you would have to argue with if you had to leave at 3 am to catch a 6 am flight.

Biden isn't a leader he is a shell for a cabinet full of others. So what leader is there that can actually do the best job? Weren't you one of the open borders crowd not that long ago?

Wonder when all the people that want illegal immigrants to be able to enter western countries freely are going to criticize the border closures?

Wonder how it's going on the Turkish/ Greek border?

I did read something about how Mexico was going to close the border with the US- that'll be  a bit of a turnaround.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Wonder when all the people that want illegal immigrants to be able to enter western countries freely are going to criticize the border closures?

Wonder how it's going on the Turkish/ Greek border?

I did read something about how Mexico was going to close the border with the US- that'll be  a bit of a turnaround.

Let's open our borders to thew entire world and give everybody free healthcare. That was the proposal 6 months ago. What could go wrong?

I wouldn't be offended if Mexico decided to do that. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

It already looks like the world Bernie wants. Empty shelves, no planes, permission to travel to other cities. I lived in Poland and they still had guards at your apartment complex that you would have to argue with if you had to leave at 3 am to catch a 6 am flight.

Biden isn't a leader he is a shell for a cabinet full of others. So what leader is there that can actually do the best job? Weren't you one of the open borders crowd not that long ago?

Biden isn’t the President.

I’m still an open border supporter, if you wish to debate me on the matter you’ll find my thoughts elsewhere in this world news forum ( where they are on topic).

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Biden isn’t the President.

I’m still an open border supporter, if you wish to debate me on the matter you’ll find my thoughts elsewhere in this world news forum ( where they are on topic).

There is really nothing to debate. The majority of the world has clamped down on borders. If your opinion wasn't so nutty and fringe I would entertain a debate. There is no longer open borders between cities with in countries now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

What nonsense. 84 percent of market shares are owned by 10 percent of the population and that share skews upward sharply the higher you go. The American middle class and those small time Grandmas largely abandoned buying stocks years ago in favor of purchasing frivolities like, ya know, food.

Edited by bristolboy

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Glad you are excited about the average small time Grandpas losing their nest eggs!

It's typically inane of you to suggest that my post reporting yesterday's stock market results, or the results themselves, are anything I enjoy or am excited about. I have my nest egg there as well.

The obvious point was, the more Trump opens his pitiful mouth, the more the markets tank, because it becomes ever more evidently clear to everyone except his acolytes that he's totally over his head and drowning as president in these crisis times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's typically inane of you to suggest that my post reporting yesterday's stock market results, or the results themselves, are anything I enjoy or am excited about. I have my nest egg there as well.

The obvious point was, the more Trump opens his pitiful mouth, the more the markets tank, because it becomes ever more evidently clear to everyone except his acolytes that he's totally over his head and drowning as president in these crisis times.

And apparently, Trump is so omnipotent, he drives the world markets. I'm guessing he's also responsible for how other countries react to coronavirus, if not directly responsible for the spread of the disease itself.