Covid-19: Two major figures in Thai aviation resign - govt response and "bungling" of virus crisis blamed

webfact

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

yes but where are all the sick Thais? no overwhelmed hospitals here at all. no reports of lines of people at hospitals. nothing at all on facebook.

ask your Thai partner where are the sick people. "No have. Thai people strong." 

they were all sent home, then those quarantined have probably been effectively cut off from social media, as I have not heard a peep about the buriram quarantine in 2 days.

perhaps just like in the UK, those that think they may have the virus are told not to go near a hospital and self isolate immediately - and call the hospital or a hot line instead, I don't know what the official line on this is but common sense tells me the above is very likely and is why there are no huge numbers clogging up hospitals, it would not be a good idea - would it ?

scenario - 

sick Thai person - calls hospital to report being ill

Hospital/help line - do not come near a hospital or go near other people and immediately self isolate at home or in your room

sick Thai person - but I am really really sick

Hospital/help line - do not come near a hospital or go near other people and immediately self isolate at home or in your room

sick farang - I think I may have the virus as I am feeling ill

Hospital/help line - stay away from other people and come to specific hospital and bring your credit card and bankbook, be prepared to stay for at least two - to four weeks lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

yes but where are all the sick Thais? no overwhelmed hospitals here at all. no reports of lines of people at hospitals. nothing at all on facebook.

I remember your thread about who had the flu and the majority of replies listed classic COVID 19 symptoms including myself (still have a bit of a sore throat),well I've noticed a lot of the same symptoms in the locals around here and since 85% will experience mild flu like symptoms they will not be noticed in the hospitals,of the remaining some will have severe symptoms and 5% will have critical complications which as yet may not be impacting enough on the health system to attract "news worthy" attention or in other words can still be hidden from view.That's my guess anyway. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Sutheerawat was under pressure after 80 workers returning from South Korea went missing when they should have been quarantined but the media indicated that this was just one factor in growing frustrations that the Thai government was bungling the crisis.

The first scapegoats to be thrown under the bus by an incompetent government... heads are rolling, but not the ones that should go!

5 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

This is just the latest in a long list of things that this government has bungled. Come to think of it, they bungle everything that they go near. ????

The coup that got them in was pretty well managed, no? As far as coups go I mean.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I remember your thread about who had the flu and the majority of replies listed classic COVID 19 symptoms including myself (still have a bit of a sore throat),well I've noticed a lot of the same symptoms in the locals around here and since 85% will experience mild flu like symptoms they will not be noticed in the hospitals,of the remaining some will have severe symptoms and 5% will have critical complications which as yet may not be impacting enough on the health system to attract "news worthy" attention or in other words can still be hidden from view.That's my guess anyway. 

• Persistent cough.
  • Fever.
  • Breathing difficulties.

Anything else aint the real McCoy.

6 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

pìssups and breweries spring to mind

For our confused American friends, this refers to a British expression 'Couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery' to describe an individual or organisation so inept that they could not be relied on to set up a party imbibing alcoholic beverages even whilst located inside that alcohol production centre (center) ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I really love your new avatar...dare I ask where you got those panties?

Rooster

• Haha 1

The TG seat was always a musical chair and once worn by the respective seater, they usually left with golden parachute and silk bedroom slippers. Ever since Chatchai Bunya-Ananta was forced to leave on his retirement (with 60), TG went into free fall down the hallygally. 

I remember that in the 80s TG was a pristine example of a Southeast Asian carrier, run professionally by a team of Thai and Scandinavian professionals. Chatchai was sent packing, shortly afterwards Nils Lumholdt and Lennart Holmgren (among others) left and some kiddies - socalled management trainees - from influential families took over. 

Air crew needed an university degree and they realized, once airborne, that they are waitresses and waiters in the air - not at all befitting their expectations of a "HiSo" assignment so nicely arranged by Mom or Dad. 

During Sumeth's watch nothing spectacular happened; he burns billions of Baht like all his predecessors and the little incident in Vientiane by slashing a stationary parked VIP jet was also not exactly that, what TG was looking forward to. Details of that incident are still unclear and might stay murky - we will see.

Well, and Sutheerawat departure was possibly also not quite by free choice. What do we know about political pressure and power behind the curtains and having some 80 returning passengers "disappearing" is certainly not Sutheerawat's fault but it happened on his watch - go figure! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

For our confused American friends, this refers to a British expression 'Couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery' to describe an individual or organisation so inept that they could not be relied on to set up a party imbibing alcoholic beverages even whilst located inside that alcohol production centre (center) ????

Simpler to use the alternative 'couldn't organise a bunk up in a brothel' .... ????

11 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Finally, an easy out for the loser Sumeth. He can deflect from his own incompetence of the past 2 years and blame other factors!

Sumeth had a snowball's chance in Pattaya against the entrenched powers that be that actually control the airline. Incompetent, you say. :biggrin:   Sumeth has been stonewalled at every turn and has never been able to implement changes to return it to some sort, any sort, of economic stability (or reality).

Sumeth is lucky to get out now. If this is how they want to run the airline fine. Best to be out and far away, when they auger Thai Airways deep into the turf. This COVID19 might be the straw that busts the airline. Straw?! Wrong analogy. More like a giant Sequoia that squashes it.

Edited by LomSak27