Government health minister: Watch out for "dirty farangs" spreading the virus in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

We're told that alcohol-based hand wipes should be used and I've been showering in Jim Beam. Did they maybe use too much Coke with their whisky?

Think he must use powered coke... 

9 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Enough.  Time to act here.  I strongly encourage everyone to contact their embassies if even by just emailing as this can spiral out of control with these types of comments and lead to violence against all of us.  CONTACT YOUR EMBASSY. 

1 ... I'm still calling BS and reckon its a fake account

2 ... I think i need to book an appointment with my embassy which has about a 6 month waiting list

3 ... if we are all carrying the virus will people attack us with really long sticks?

• Like 1

I haven't been to Chiang Mai for a long time but would the Health Minister be referring to the backpacking crowds? Or the singlet slogging beer swilling Europeans?  

Jokes aside, I think out of respect for Thailand, to reduce infections to older people and reduce hysteria from fear, then everyone should whack on a mask.  It's not a big deal.  

Let's show we are more civil and respectful than the Minister and his xenophobic rants!  Some farangs are bloody disrespectful I have seen it, but overall most of us love Thailand and Thai people.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UbonThani said:

Get real. There are lots of dirty farangs. Seen heaps, expats, backpackers, hippies. Lots of grubs around.

Outweighed 1000 fold by dirty Thai grubs...... 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

2 ... I think i need to book an appointment with my embassy which has about a 6 month waiting list

3 ... if we are all carrying the virus will people attack us with really long sticks?

keep drinking the kool aid... you can continue to be apathetic at your own peril...

• Haha 1

The no-facts-knowing wrote

He said on Twitter that he had been to Chiang Mai and found there to be virtually no Chinese tourists, just farangs. He said that

90% of Thais in the northern city were wearing masks but not a single "farang" was wearing one.

Send him to primary school again to learn about   %   .

But I'm afraid even this wouldn't work.

Another idea: send him to the USA, he would be an "outstanding" adviser for Trump, concerning facts !!!

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

I haven't seen the link for the original tweet so here it is

The account is brand new and unverified so.. could be a troll.

Edit: Seems like the tweet was just removed

I read somewhere that it was an account from the ministry set up on his behalf.

There must be some truth in it otherwise:

1. He would have spoken out and said that it was a fake account.

2. The post wouldn't be deleted. ( I haven't checked yet)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

keep drinking the kool aid... you can continue to be apathetic at your own peril...

all these things he said in an unverified account thats been open a few days. I am happy to be proved wrong but until that time I think i'll use logic rather than guess work

Edited by CraigInBangkok
  • Like 2

Not sure if he understand , if this was to make international news and it should , not only no one will come but most likely Thais living overseas will be attacked . 

was he given say anything and get away with it card by someone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Powder said:

if this so called health minister is  so well informed, then he already should have known, that masks doesn' t have any effect.

But it is indeed a racist if he talks like this.

One day most farangs, including me, will have left Thailand.

Going to a country where they feel really "welcome".

I know not every farang is behaving the right way, but hey, are all Thai so perfect.

Masks do have a limited effect. Not perfect but still worth wearing. If you are infected and cough or sneeze it limits droplet spray of pathogens to the mask fabric.  Same if you are exposed to a cough or airborne pathogen that hits the mask other than your eyes or mucous membranes.  Also stops you touching your nose and mouth after touching door handles, table tops, and any other object that's got pathogens attached. 

That's why quarantine teams, doctors, etc, wear them.  

7 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Go on their official Facebook page or send a nice diplomatic email. NO need to book anything - if you did go in person, they'd ask you to email them your complaint anyway.

How come he’s not talking about the Chinese I thought it was Chinese that started all this virus stuff well all I can say is I guess he’s talking like most thais here they don’t want us here they don’t like us they just want the money TIT

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Not sure if he understand , if this was to make international news and it should , not only no one will come but most likely Thais living overseas will be attacked . 

was he given say anything and get away with it card by someone?

Yes this can go both ways. A really stupid, careless remark by a very dim witted excuse for a "minister".

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Is this a real account?

He removed some of his social media accounts recently for posting wrong information. I wonder if this is from a fake account as it just seems so absurd. 

If he has said this then it is utterly deplorable. Could you imagine a minister in a normal developed nation stating that all the Asians are the reason for the spread of this and should be avoided at all costs. It is almost Hitler esque. 

A more up to date term would be Trump-esque.

• Like 2