Football has gone

According to the BBC all UK football is suspended until at least April 3rd and the entire season may end up being declared void, meaning Liverpool don't win anything and Leeds don't get promoted among other non ups and downs.

As Alf Ramsay once said "some people think football is a matter of life and death, but they are wrong. it's far more serious than that."

I'd like to know how many people have died in England this winter of the normal flu, just so I can put the virus thing into perspective.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51867989

Edit: Rightfully corrected that the quote was Bill Shankly.

• Like 1

If I got infected at, and died after watching my team win something major, I would consider it fair enough.

Would be concerned if any of our players ever came within spitting distance of any other player on the park mind.

image.png.e70f86cc182370b9dc62b3ef9edf7323.png

Corona virus is losing on goal difference by a couple of tens of thousands annually.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf

page 51 of 57

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Liverpool missing out would be perfect karma for getting everyone else banned from Europe because of their rioting Scousers in the 80s. And Leeds not getting promoted would likewise be perfect karma for kicking everybody for decades.

COYS!

Rooster

COYDL!

Andy

• Like 1

As a Leeds follower I've had 4 yrs of this nonsense, every time you get your hopes up they get shot down. I think God hates Leeds (yes I know quite a few football fans of other teams do as well). 

I'm Welsh and hope the rugby doesn't get cancelled last minute like the F1 did (will get back to that in a minute). You can't have a 6 nations game without a crowd, each stadium has it's different charms with the home crowds creating brilliant complimentary atmospheres. 

The F1 is an absolute disgrace, they should have realised what was going to happen when motogp cancelled the main race in Qatar then Buriram as the writing was on the wall especially for Italian teams ( most of the rest are British based). I was watching Sky Sports News in the early hours (about 02:30) and the decision still hadn't been made about racing after the Mclaren news but Mark Slater did say that it looked liked it was going to be cancelled. There were fans at the gate waiting to get in when they heard the news, I'd have been really <deleted> off if I'd flown from Europe to find it had been cancelled at the gate.

Apparently motogp needs 13 races completed to award a championship but I can't see this or F1 completing their respective series. Last week I was looking forward to Qatar and this week Oz and i don't think we will get any competitive racing this season. 

Edited by sandrabbit
missing word spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

Thought that was Shankly .....

You are absolutely correct, and I thank you for that.

The fact remains though that it is very serious, and at this moment in peril.

World war three shouldn't stop something this important, right?

As been shown above thousands die from flu every winter and we have 10 dead, but that stops the world from spinning?

• Like 1

Especially not now that Tottenham are out by the hand of Leipzig, Liverpool beaten by Atletico and Chelsea about to be eliminated by Bayern.

The British obviously cancelled the Champions League because this is the most embarassing campaign ever for British clubs.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Especially not now that Tottenham are out by the hand of Leipzig, Liverpool beaten by Atletico and Chelsea about to be eliminated by Bayern.

The British obviously cancelled the Champions League because this is the most embarassing campaign ever for British clubs.

United still in Europa Cup. Played behind closed doors yesterday. I don't know why they can't do that with all matches until the end of the season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

United still in Europa Cup. Played behind closed doors yesterday. I don't know why they can't do that with all matches until the end of the season.

After what happened to Mikel Arteta?

T'is correct DSD .. All league football in England and Scotland has been postponed until 4th April .. Final 6 nations game schedd'ed for today is off .. London Marathon schedd'ed for late April off .. Etc , etc .. 

It is hoped that if the football season were able to resume again in early April then all titles , promotions and relegation issues could be played out as per normal but even today when the announcement was made few believe it will restart then .. 

Some think if it cannot restart by the end of April then all the leagues should finish as they stand and while that would mean Liverpool being awarded the title it would also see the current bottom 3 relegated with 9/10 games left to play .. something they are not joyous about especially those in with more than a fighting chance than the bottom club of avoiding .. And the knock on effect continues into the Championship .. Leeds and WBA are top 2 with Fulham currently in the play off top slot of 3rd with Brentford , Forest and Preston chasing them but if the league cannot be completed are Fulham then automatically awarded the final promotion spot .? the teams chasing are not going to take that lightly and already within hours of the announcement there were mutterings of legal action against the EFL by teams facing possible relegation or loss of promotion by this means .. and so it goes right down the pyramid of UK footie .. 

Likewise the 6 nations is called off without being concluded with France and England sharing top spot afore the final games though this might be easier to conclude at a later stage with only the final round left .. This is going to be bit of a Rubik's cube to try and equitably resolve to everyone's liking given how long this CV situation might continue for .. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandrabbit said:

Apparently motogp needs 13 races completed to award a championship but I can't see this or F1 completing their respective series. Last week I was looking forward to Qatar and this week Oz and i don't think we will get any competitive racing this season. 

We sure will mate! Verstappen is gonna beat Hamilton and that will be very exciting to watch!

• Like 2

Bread and circuses: 

In a political context, the phrase means to generate public approval, not by excellence in public service or public policy, but by diversion, distraction or by satisfying the most immediate or base requirements of a populace— by offering a palliative: for example food (bread) or entertainment (circuses).

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Why were 70000 people allowed to attend Cheltenham in the UK yesterday but football matches are cancelled? Your guess is as good mine.

I think their logic is that because whole teams like Real Madrid are in quarantine because a member of the Real Madrid basketball team caught the virus, other whole teams are also in quarantine because the odd player caught it, or the manager, so they decided to postpone it. Surely a huge mistake since the virus will just get much worse in the footballing countries.

But I'm sure the leaders know what they're doing....

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Don’t know how many have died of the flu but expect a rise in deaths if Liverpool don’t get the credit for this amazing season and Leeds remain in the Championship !!

My GF told me she has been waiting 30 years for this championship opportunity...yeah...let's just say she's a bit upset this week..I'm keeping my distance 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

United is looking good too.

But I think Liverpool should be able to enjoy this year of glory in their otherwise pathetic existence, since United has a young team and Liverpool wont be seeing such luck as they had this year for another 30 years or so.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

If I got infected at, and died after watching my team win something major, I would consider it fair enough.

Would be concerned if any of our players ever came within spitting distance of any other player on the park mind.

image.png.e70f86cc182370b9dc62b3ef9edf7323.png

Corona virus is losing on goal difference by a couple of tens of thousands annually.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf

page 51 of 57

Corona is a new league of it's own, no annual stats for comparison as of yet, don't get ahead of yourself just yet...

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

United is looking good too.

But I think Liverpool should be able to enjoy this year of glory in their otherwise pathetic existence, since United has a young team and Liverpool wont be seeing such luck as they had this year for another 30 years or so.

Typical American. You're too soft. When your enemy's down you stick it in their gonads. No mercy, they'll have to wait another 30 years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Typical American. You're too soft.

Naw dude, Im just am American football fan, thats why Im United

And Millwall. Now whose soft. I have Doc Martens and a Claw Hammer. Lets rock.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Logosone said:

that's what you get for Brexit. Serves you right.

• Haha 1