Are you staying in Thailand or going back home?

parafareno

We're flying back to the US tomorrow.  No complaints with the doctors or hospitals here, but where we are they're all at or over capacity all the time.  There is little possibility of handling a big surge.  There's no logical explanation for why Thailand has so few virus cases.  I'm not willing to bet it will remain that way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, I think it's going to get far worse too.

2 months from now we're talking about what a stellar job China did in keeping the death rate so low....

Italy looks like will top that very soon with most hospitals full and nowhere to go for the elderly and the rest of the sick.

And it doesn't look good for more European countries and the US.

I am already back home - and glad about it.  It is always nice to know that if the wife or I get seriously sick (virus or anything else) that we can call an ambulance and it will be here in 5 minutes, staffed by professional well trained people who can stabilise us with a high level of medical knowledge and equipment, and who will ensure we are OK and can then be taken to hospital - which is also staffed by high level professional people with all the modern equipment and medications and services - and both the ambulance and hospital are free.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Orac said:

Doubt it will be quick - guess will have more idea in a month or so dependent on some medical breakthough such as treatment or quick diagnosis at early stage to stop the spreading. If not probably talking months rather than weeks.

Diagnostic kits being rolled out in a week that will take 10 minutes to detect. (UK so i read)

The other issue here is the visa status of a foreigner in Thailand. I suspect many foreigners will lose their job as a result of the downturn in economy. What then? Even if you are successful in obtaining a non imm 0 visa or similar, if you have to do a border run, what if those border countries decide to restrict entry to such nationalities? There is just so many uncertainties here.

P.S. why can i not find a spell check on this reply box??

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Perhaps because the western countries are land mass huge comparatively & freedom of movement.....The population isn't taking it as seriously, more business as usual while fighting over toilet paper becomes it's preoccupation.....

Right now it's only a possible inconvenience....

Not the case at all. My friends tell me no concerts, no movies at the theaters, restricted dining out, shortages of all kinds of food and sundries, long lines at pharmacies, no test kits available anywhere in the US, and a very sheltered existence. This is big. People are scared, and lack of half way decent leadership is a large cause of this. 

• Like 1

I have 90k worth of non refundable hotel bookings 2 weeks in Koh Chang, next week and 1 week in Krung Thep and of April. Looks more and more likely that I will write off the 90 Grands, chill out at home, in Issan, and entertain the kids the best I can.

I'm staying. No point in going back to Oz now, Melbourne will be heading into winter and Thailand is heading into summer.

Due to go back to Oz in August, hopefully it will have run its course by then.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Not wanting to give anything away, but this is the view from my cell window.

s-l640.jpg

Hoping that you are good befriended with your neighbour in case things are getting too hot under the feets. 

Or has they already given you their spare keys? ????

1 hour ago, Steps said:

On an overstay though? With the real prospect of travel restrictions taking place all over the world including internally here, things could get quite complicated

Where did I say I was on an overstay?  Those who are playing the visa run game should probably take that into consideration sooner rather than later.

23 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

I have 90k worth of non refundable hotel bookings 2 weeks in Koh Chang, next week and 1 week in Krung Thep and of April. Looks more and more likely that I will write off the 90 Grands, chill out at home, in Issan, and entertain the kids the best I can.

It'd be nice to find people willing to pay u something, even if not the full value and sell off the reservation to them... if this was feasible

56 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not the case at all. My friends tell me no concerts, no movies at the theaters, restricted dining out, shortages of all kinds of food and sundries, long lines at pharmacies, no test kits available anywhere in the US, and a very sheltered existence. This is big. People are scared, and lack of half way decent leadership is a large cause of this. 

Some are thinking weaponization & the timing of the release adds some credence....

• Confused 1

I decided to not take my flight today to the U.S. via Japan due to the developments in the U.S. as well as the wildcard of what can happen here before my planned return on the 25th. Rescheduled to 4/25 with the thin hope that things will become less complicated by then. At some point in the next 4 weeks, I'll have to do a border run to re-up my non-O 90-days. Which border is anyone's guess at this point. 

Edited by JCP108

2 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

but I have private cover here also in Thailand that covers the virus (I have checked)

What cover do you have? Which company?

My insurance doesn't cover pandemics - they are specifically excluded in the policy.