Thailand reports 32 new coronavirus cases, brings total to 114

webfact

6 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

How come the virus hates the heat apparently and dies over 37 degrees, but just loves that temperature if it gets inside you?

MUCH REMAINS UNKNOWN about the novel coronavirus ripping through China, but one thing is certain. The disease can cast a storm over the whole human body.

Such has been the nature of past zoonotic coronaviruses, ones that hopped from animals to humans like SARS and MERS. Unlike their common-cold-causing cousins, these emergent coronaviruses can spark a viral-induced fire throughout many of a person’s organs, and the new disease—dubbed "COVID-19" by the World Health Organization—is no exception when it is severe.

They spread typically when an infected person coughs or sneezes, spraying droplets that can transmit the virus to anyone in close contact. Coronaviruses also cause flu-like symptoms: Patients might start out with a fever and cough that progresses to pneumonia or worse.

Very important information is here. Already 60,000 deaths worldwide and the Chinese way of it.:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Though China has shown the (authoritarian) way. 

it's the only way, and it needs to happen for an extended period time. The government needs to work out a way to pretty much shut down the country, and still have vital aspects of the economy functioning in some sort of manner. 

Posts containing content copy and pasted from other sites have been removed.  Please do not post anything that is not from a reliable source, no links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter or sites using a foreign language as this is an English language forum. 

19 minutes ago, morrobay said:

The virus surviving on some surface and being infectious with enough numbers are two different things like I said in post #84

"the invading army of viruses in tens of thousands required to overcome a normal persons immune system"

Ummm... that is not actually that  much of a viral count...

Day 5 of the infection (likely still asymptomatic) an average nasal swab will contain 5 x 108 of those little buggers.   You are also shedding a high volume and the primary vector of infection is surface based.  On average we touch our face around 20 times an hour, touching a railing and touching your face will give you more than sufficient quantity to overcome a persons normal immune system.

3 minutes ago, Mung said:

I have been worried about the recovery to death numbers. I then realised that to officially be considered as a recovery, it often takes a pretty long time. And so seeing as we are at the start of the epidemic relatively speaking, deaths will come on quicker than recoveries at this stage, I think. 

I'm more worried about the incompetence of the Thai health system.

Once you've lived here for almost 20 years and visited doctors pretty often, it would be a total chaos if the numbers in Thailand, all over the country will explode.

Considering that Thai government hospitals do not have rooms to separate septic patients, the chaos is already programmed if...

Here's a part what can happen from the National Geography Article:

“In severe cases, you basically flood your lungs and you can’t breathe,” Frieman says. “That’s how people are dying.”

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

To anyone who thinks only older people are on the hook for this, take a look at this except from the Thai DDC report for March 14 and various of the new cases reported that day. Note the ages among the various cases mentioned below:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/news/news_no50_140363_1.pdf

50% of hospitalization in France are less than 60 years old but I'm too tired to find the link. 

16 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

MUCH REMAINS UNKNOWN about the novel coronavirus ripping through China, but one thing is certain. The disease can cast a storm over the whole human body.

Such has been the nature of past zoonotic coronaviruses, ones that hopped from animals to humans like SARS and MERS. Unlike their common-cold-causing cousins, these emergent coronaviruses can spark a viral-induced fire throughout many of a person’s organs, and the new disease—dubbed "COVID-19" by the World Health Organization—is no exception when it is severe.

They spread typically when an infected person coughs or sneezes, spraying droplets that can transmit the virus to anyone in close contact. Coronaviruses also cause flu-like symptoms: Patients might start out with a fever and cough that progresses to pneumonia or worse.

Very important information is here. Already 60,000 deaths worldwide and the Chinese way of it.:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

It is not ripping through China, it is a pandemic that is spreading through the whole world.

The virus is not causing severe problems for the vast majority of infected people, from all we know today. 

There are nowhere near 60,000 deaths, it is close to 6,000 as of today. i hope you meant this, rather than trying to spread unnecessary panic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rabas said:

Here is a direct link to the Thai version. It is often updated a bit  sooner than the English one.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/situation.php

Thank you. Right now it seems as up to date as the English version, both show yesterday’s news as the latest. Fastest info seems to be via other sources e.g. subscription to Barrow’s twitter. 

Almost all northern EU countries have now more cases than Thailand. Rapid rise in few days and continuing. Temperature, humidity, UV...all must play a significant part in the spreading patterns. I cannot think another reason why this is happening. Certainly northern Europeans are not as close quartered as Thais. 

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Anyone who believes the numbers the Thai gvt puts out is in serious need of a reality check.

Same for Europe and America also. Western countries have botched it up big time. The had enough time to contain it failed to do so. They did not learn from Taiwan or Singapore. Their hospitals will be overwhelemed and doctors will decide who lives and who dies due to lack of repsirator. Italy is just the begining. 

45 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

How come the virus hates the heat apparently and dies over 37 degrees, but just loves that temperature if it gets inside you?

Sperm is a living organism. Virus is not.

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Why do I have the feeling that Thailand's doing the Chinese way of reporting the numbers?

Reading such news and others where they state that this virus wouldn't exist in Isaan ( was topic a few days ago, coming from a foreigner in Nong Khai) makes all these news to something I just don't believe.

It's also easy for the government to shut down people who report the truth on social media.

Again, a similarity to China.

China put the numbers out out on a mini programme on WeChat. Each Province reported individually and the algorythym gave the totals. It was updated in real time. Everyone could see them.

I appreciate you aren't keen on their political system even though it's massively more successful than your country's but why would you think they have anything to gain by lying about a disease outbreak overseen by the WHO when the pattern is replicated in country after country and just not dealt with as efficiently?

The story about Dr Li has been repeated worldwide again and again and yet here we are with the same old tosh being spouted. Is it prejudice or just selective memory?

3 minutes ago, Parsve said:

Sperm is a living organism.

The definition of living is not straignforward. Sperms exhibit two of the three charaterisitcs of life (it can metabolise and grow but it cannot reproduce. It does not do cell division). It's a haploid. It has only 23 chromosomes. It require another 23 to form zygote. And virus is not a living organism. It is only information (RNA), with some proteins (for boot strapping into a living cell) and protected by layers of lipid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

You don't have UV inside yu. The implication is the sunlight not necessarily the temperature. The virus has some kind of coating that breaks down in heat outside the body I read in one of these obscure websites that people keep digging up.

No way Thai government would be able to hide widespread epidemic. Hospitals are at best of times are pretty crowded. You would see total pandemonium in hospitals if it were as bad as in Italy or Wuhan. Doctors, nurses and patients and families losing their <deleted>. Thais also do like to gossip. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Traubert said:

You don't have UV inside yu. The implication is the sunlight not necessarily the temperature. The virus has some kind of coating that breaks down in heat outside the body I read in one of these obscure websites that people keep digging up.

lipid layer - basically fat.

29 minutes ago, Timwin said:

Almost all northern EU countries have now more cases than Thailand. Rapid rise in few days and continuing. Temperature, humidity, UV...all must play a significant part in the spreading patterns. I cannot think another reason why this is happening. Certainly northern Europeans are not as close quartered as Thais. 

The obvious answer is that 400,000 have been tested in the UK and how many now in Thailand? 6000? 

41 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

The obvious answer is that 400,000 have been tested in the UK and how many now in Thailand? 6000? 

Do you have a source for those numbers ?

Mine suggests less than 30,000 for the UK:-

United Kingdom 29,764 12 March 2020 Department of Health and Social Care and Public Health England 12 March, 9.00 local time Estimates are updated every day, often more than once per day

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing-source-data

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

Do you have a source for those numbers ?

Mine suggests less than 30,000 for the UK:-

United Kingdom 29,764 12 March 2020 Department of Health and Social Care and Public Health England 12 March, 9.00 local time Estimates are updated every day, often more than once per day

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing-source-data

I was thinking I saw that number mentioned by John Cambell (i.e. the 10's of thousands not that number out of someones behind).   Both the US and the UK are blind right now because of the failure of testing. 

13 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

And does any one have any true figures from Thailand, is the government hiding the figures, so that people do not overreact. or is it the fact that Tourism will be affected again?!!!!

The whole world is shutting down no country is spared. 

8 hours ago, garygooner said:

Looks like we're going to be seeing large jumps in new cases on a daily basis. Hope not. The unnecessary food panic buying will surely start soon. Please no Bangkok lockdown. 

People were stripping shelves in our local Big C today.

The ramp up in Italy was from 80 cases to over 10,000 in only 3 weeks.

Edited by Dogmatix

2 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

People were stripping shelves in our local Big C today.

The ramp up in Italy was from 80 cases to over 10,000 in only 3 weeks.

With no herd immunity to slow it down the herd is stampeding. This will be the year when the world went mad.