now we know the benefit of a bum gun

opalred

19 hours ago, nausea said:

Bum gun for me, toilet paper seems unhygienic. Yeah, I can see how this became important, using your naked fingers to wipe your bum. Big reason why the left hand, right hand, became such a thing.

I thought the left hand right hand thing was only Muslim.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Fun fact !
Countries that use toilet paper instead of "the left hand and water" have almost NO cases of cholera.

Countries that DO use the "left hand and water" DO have cholera. In some cases, a lot of it.
* In case you are wondering, cholera is usually transmitted through contact with infected feces. Often the feces are defecated into a water system (directly or through a sewage system) and people that use that same water (for cooking, cleaning, drinking, etc) get infected and then when they relieve themselves, it usually ends up back in the same water system.
One symptom of Cholera is diarrhea (naturally).

cholera_009.jpg.3f5f4ac3f8172535c81685ddb71df4da.jpg 
Keep in mind that the WHO only shows cases that have been reported. For example, if places like Sri Lanka and Indonesia don't report any cases to the WHO, then they won't appear on the map. 
I'd find it really hard to believe that some of countries shown don't have any cases of cholera, especially when they are surrounded by countries that do (and therefore probably share a lot of the same causes).

Some developed countries also report cases of cholera which apparently are linked (usually) to eating seafood which has been in contact with contaminated sewage. 

Note this is similar to the manner in which the "liver fluke" worm is transmitted in Thailand. Fish in ponds eat the Flukes. People eat the fish and the Flukes enter the bloodstream, taking up residence in the liver (and often causing liver cancer as a result). The Flukes lay eggs and many of those get filtered out of the body and end up being dumped (defecated) into ponds or septic tanks which then (often) get flooded during the rainy season and have their contents mixed into the water of the ponds and klongs where the eggs then hatch and the cycle begins again.

Note as well that using a bum gun also usually results in the a lot of the feces becoming "aerosolized", with wee tiny little particles floating around in the air similar to how tiny molecules of water float in the air when someone coughs or sneezes (one of the main ways the Covid virus is spreading in fact).

Lovely to think about isn't it ? All those tiny droplets of aerosolized feces floating around your bathroom just waiting for you to breath them in.............. ????

Do you have any verifiable sources that support a link between bidet sprays and cholera? I've just done a quick Google search and couldn't find anything linking them.

I don't see any major difference in principle between bidet sprays and bidets but if we include countries where bidets are in common use, the apparent correlation disappears. There are several countries in Europe and South America where bidets are popular, such as France, Italy, Portugal, Argentina and Venezuela. If spraying your bum with water was such a risk factor for cholera, we could expect to see those countries included on that map - but we don't.

I did however find at least one article that posited a link between using toilet paper and cholera, because it involves touching the perianal, perineal and anal areas together with potentially infected hands.

Are bidets sanitary?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Do you have any verifiable sources that support a link between bidet sprays and cholera? I've just done a quick Google search and couldn't find anything linking them.

I don't see any major difference in principle between bidet sprays and bidets but if we include countries where bidets are in common use, the apparent correlation disappears. There are several countries in Europe and South America where bidets are popular, such as France, Italy, Portugal, Argentina and Venezuela. If spraying your bum with water was such a risk factor for cholera, we could expect to see those countries included on that map - but we don't.

I did however find at least one article that posited a link between using toilet paper and cholera, because it involves touching the perianal, perineal and anal areas together with potentially infected hands.

Are bidets sanitary?

It is not the water spraying that causes cholera it is that having feces smeared all over your bum prevents the cholera from infecting you, if we could also smear our faces with feces (hey that's a  catchy title for a song)  we could probably eliminate the disease!!:tongue: 

PS: i was only kidding , don't go smearing your faces with feces , but if you do , in the interest of hygiene make sure it's your own.  

41 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I thought the left hand right hand thing was only Muslim.

Indians also thats why they eat with their right hands

Used the right hand to manoeuvre the 'lota' (water mug), pour water on the behind and use the left hand to ensure nothing is sticking to the rear

Edited by ChipButty

53 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It is not the water spraying that causes cholera it is that having feces smeared all over your bum prevents the cholera from infecting you, if we could also smear our faces with feces (hey that's a  catchy title for a song)  we could probably eliminate the disease!!:tongue: 

PS: i was only kidding , don't go smearing your faces with feces , but if you do , in the interest of hygiene make sure it's your own.  

Like...?

"It's not the bum gun that excites you, 

It's the finger that invites you,

Oh, the wonder,

The wonder of Poo!"

KerryD with his "impressive" map and lengthy (made-up) correlation of bum-gun and cholera is trying to take us all for a ride!

I suspect he intentionally took a much older map showing results from a decade ago, instead of using a map by the same WHO (shown below), which shows less than 9 cholera deaths in India, a country of over a billion people, only 4 years ago.

Perhaps India has stopped using the bum-gun in the past few years, and totally switched to toilet paper, to eliminate cholera so quickly? 

LOL!

Global_Cholera(WER)_2016.png

7 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I'm sure that must be the case , middle of winter in Canada and using a bum gun , that is if the water hasn't frozen before it reaches the hose.

Another problem is that many western toilets these days have carpet, which isn't always easy to dry in the winter. Then of course there's kids thinking  it's a great toy. ????

Bring back linoleum.

22 hours ago, Virt said:

I use both bum gun and paper after. Don't like to have wet pants after doing my thing. 

Or am I using the bum gun the wrong way ????

No, as your ass is getting wet you clearly are pointing  the right end at it ...

7 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I'm sure that must be the case , middle of winter in Canada and using a bum gun , that is if the water hasn't frozen before it reaches the hose.

Does the water freeze in the hose to the cistern. Can always put a t junction on the connection and use that. 

Clever invention, like the Victa mower or the Hills' Hist maybe in Oz. When we moved back here to Oz 7 years ago to escape the filthy air pollution of Chiang Mai, I included several different bum guns and it was the first thing I installed in our 100 y.o. heritage home. With a Thai missus and half-Thai daughter who both use heaps of dunny paper, in the stupid bog-roll drought that has hit Oz during the Covid 19 scare we are so far in front of the masses in this bush town. 

Saw the chemist today to get my cholesterol pills - he commented that there was no dunny paper to be had anywhere and I then told him "no matter - got heaps - but we have a bum gun so we use very little". I had to explain what it was - he is nearly 70 and had never seen or heard of the bum gun. Got several spares, so I'm giving him one tomorrow for a look. Perhaps LOS will now, in the world's most desperate hour, become famous for an export item ! 

8 hours ago, digbeth said:

Water temperature 'back home' is too cold for bum gun, unless you have a mixer tap to mix in hot water... it's too much 

Its just a case of getting the plumber to connect it to both hot and cold (and buying a thermostatically controlled bumgun). And that's too much?

Currently AmazonUK showing 348 types of which 184 are thermostatic.

Remember the alternative.

Since never being taught how to use a bum gun I'm never sure how to do it properly.

Is there one of those 'how to do it' you tube videos?

I do use mine all the time however to clean the toilet instead of using a filthy toilet brush. 

On 3/16/2020 at 6:54 PM, Lacessit said:

I put two bum guns in the two houses I owned in Australia, over much resistance from local plumbers. My son has two in his house as well.

Unbelievable this hygienic invention has not spread to the Western world, with those millions of filthy backsides.

Do you think that's what "the man with the mask " meant when ranting about dirty western foreigners? So how come so many of the more up market places have loos with toilet paper and not a gun in sight?. He should try a bum gun with icy water too before condemning us!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

Its just a case of getting the plumber to connect it to both hot and cold (and buying a thermostatically controlled bumgun). And that's too much?

Currently AmazonUK showing 348 types of which 184 are thermostatic.

Remember the alternative.

It is what I have in the UK. Works well as tiled floors in the toilets.