Covid-19: "Dozens infected" - including famous presenter - at Bangkok boxing event attended by 5,000 spectators

webfact

Covid-19: "Dozens infected" - including famous presenter - at Bangkok boxing event attended by 5,000 spectators

8pm.jpg

Channel 7 spoke to an informant that claimed that at least 26 people were infected with coronavirus at a boxing event held at Lumpinee Boxing Stadium in the Thai capital of Bangkok on March 6th. 

A week after the event the famous presenter of the show - Matthew Deane Chanthavanij said he had the virus. His wife is also infected. 

Channel 7 showed mobile phone footage of the event that was attended by upwards of 5,000 spectators. 

It has emerged that not just the presenter was infected but others like sponsors who entered the ring. 

The informant claimed that 26 people who had been sitting in the rows close to the ring were also infected. 

It was stated that the virus could spread easily because of cheering from the crowd that propelled droplets aiding transmission. 

Channel 7 warned that many others at the event could have contracted the virus. 

Source: Channel 7

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-17

And the UK government is not banning sporting events because the chief scientific adviser says that its hard to catch coronavirus at sporting stadiums "because they are so big".  

He also said he doesn't want to lock things down now because people might get bored with being locked down by the time corona is at its peak...  at which time everyone will start going out again..... when there is a lot of corona around and things are really dangerous outside everyone will start going outside again.  My guess is they wouldn't.

When there is a chief scientific adviser with very bad judgment is should be very concerning.

I hope somebody tells him this story. 

Edited by Ketyo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 so far infected with Covid-19 after boxing stadium visit

By THE NATION

800_5963fa1717c7f18.jpg

Thirty-seven people have contracted Covid-19 after visiting Rajadamnern Boxing Stadium in Bangkok, according to the Public Health Ministry today (March 17).

One of the first to be infected is Thai-Australian actor Matthew “Deane” Chanthavanij, who revealed the news on March 13 via Instragram. His wife Sarunrat Visutthithada said on Instagram on March 16 that she was infected from her husband.

“I came to Chulalongkorn Hospital for a check since I met the brave Matthew Deane,” Arak Amornsupasiri, a musician, said on social media. “On March 16, the test showed I am not in the risk group.”

Following Matthew’s announcement, numerous people who visited the boxing stadium went to hospital for a test. 

The stadium has been closed from March 15 to 28 to monitor the situation and undertake a clean-up operation.

Among the infected is Phinit Pholkhan, Matthew’s co-host at the stadium, and Kitti Paopiamsap, chairman of the Chachoengsao Provincial Administration Organisation (PAO). The latter found on March 15 that he had contracted the virus after visiting the stadium on March 6 and meeting Matthew. He also attended events including weddings, ordinations, fairs, funerals and meetings during the period of March 6 to 15.

Kitti’s case pushed Chachoengsao Governor Raphee Pongbuppakit to order PAO officers to work online for five days while their office is cleaned.

Meanwhile, chief of the Army’s welfare department Maj-General Rachit Arunrangsri is also confirmed to have contracted Covid-19 after he visited the boxing stadium.

Popular boxing fan Sakol Laksim revealed on March 13 through his Facebook page that he too had contracted the virus.

“Don’t ask me whether I am infected or not. I am infected. Those who have fever need to be checked, while those who visited the stadium are at high risk,” he warned.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384253

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-17

One of the guys at this event had dinner at our friends restaurant near us recently before he discovered he was positive for covid-19.

Next day the local hospital sent a team around to disinfect the entire restaurant.

Our friend has since said business has plummeted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edwinchester said:

8 hours ago, edwinchester said:

One of the guys at this event had dinner at our friends restaurant near us recently before he discovered he was positive for covid-19.

Next day the local hospital sent a team around to disinfect the entire restaurant.

Our friend has since said business has plummeted.

Restaurants shouldn’t even be open.

Edited by Mossman

2 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Agree entirely but then hers and everyone's income will decline to zero. People need to make money to survive.

Then let them stay open for take away food only. That’s something they can do now. It would give them an income and prevent risk from people sitting close to each other. They can do this themselves now, no need to wait for the government to tell them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mossman said:

Then let them stay open for take away food only. That’s something they can do now. It would give them an income and prevent risk from people sitting close to each other. They can do this themselves now, no need to wait for the government to tell them.

Unfortunately people are avoiding her restaurant now, couple that with some really nasty comments about her on Facebook and it adds up to zero income.

I should add that the authorities are happy for her to reopen for now after they deep cleaned her premises.

3 hours ago, Mossman said:

Restaurants shouldn’t even be open.

I'm inclined to agree, however, there are many people here in rooms and hotels with no cooking capability and they depend totally on restaurants to eat. Are we going to starve them out?

7 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Agree entirely but then hers and everyone's income will decline to zero.

I've been saying all along, this virus is a global economic recession until a vaccine is tested and released in mass numbers.

Good news is they made a vaccine within one day after getting the DNA sequence.

And it's been tested in mice and monkeys.

Human trials are ongoing.  My guess is at least 6-12 months of sheltering in place.

Are you starting to understand the economic impact this will have?

Many will have no income for months or even years, with no government intervention.

IOW, governments need to issue checks to their citizens who don't have income due to sheltering in place. ????????????????

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/actress-linda-lusardi-says-she-233054388.html

linda lusardi has a dose

Dancing On Ice star Linda Lusardi says she is “extremely unwell” with coronavirus.

The actress, 61, revealed the news on Twitter while replying to a fan asking for a video message for her grandfather on lockdown in Spain.

Former glamour model Lusardi said: “I am extremely ill with Corona at the moment.”