Antiviral drug on the way from China

snoop1130

2 hours ago, chainarong said:

It's a antiviral drug, so what,  it doesn't cure or stop Corona virus.

there is no cure.  yet.

this is a treatment that shortens the recovery process.  a limited clinical study indicates it shortens the time needed to recover from 10 days or so to maybe 3 or 4.

is that important?  yes, it is.

when you have 20,000 patients on respirators, with another 10,000 pending test results, anything that shortens the time each patient is using valuable resources saves lives, and means your health infrastructure is less likely to collapse.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, monkfish said:

Yes sure they did, they tested it on 340 patients who recovered in 4 days instead of 11 days.
Why didn't they use it on more though like 20,000? What is the cost?

Because the 340 patients who received it, got it as part of a clinical trial. That's the way trials work - you choose a representative but limited number of people to test it on, then assess the results of the trial after it's over. You don't start off by giving an untested, experimental treatment to tens of thousands of people right off the bat, before you have any evidence to show that it works. And you get the evidence by doing a limited size trial first, which is exactly what they've done here.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

There's a big difference between treatment, cure and prevention. Clickbaits are now playing the cure playbook, they know how to pull people in.

I've put this here before...

kubler-1024x806-1-1024x806.jpg

Hoping there's a miracle cure belongs in the bargaining section. At least it's a move ahead. Humans are pretty hardwired to execute mental katas.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

There's a big difference between treatment, cure and prevention. Clickbaits are now playing the cure playbook, they know how to pull people in.

Hoping there's a miracle cure belongs in the bargaining section. At least it's a move ahead. Humans are pretty hardwired to execute mental katas.

Looks pretty like an  older idea:

220px-Fry%27s_Chocolate_advertisement.JPG

10 hours ago, Speedhump said:

I'm waiting for the conspiracy theorists to come crawling: China infected the world to crash Western economies, then released the cure which they already had stored. 

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/china-locked-in-hybrid-war-with-us/?fbclid=IwAR02B-_npBZwbSYEK7sex7943sUVO_6h4rKDio3R3z8aL4AhtrWJgCVSZNE

5 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Because the 340 patients who received it, got it as part of a clinical trial. That's the way trials work - you choose a representative but limited number of people to test it on, then assess the results of the trial after it's over. You don't start off by giving an untested, experimental treatment to tens of thousands of people right off the bat, before you have any evidence to show that it works. And you get the evidence by doing a limited size trial first, which is exactly what they've done here.

Yes but if it's working and you have Thousands dying you might want to try giving it to more people I would expect.
It was developed in Japan in 2014 so not a new drug.
Hopefully they send a load over to Italy soon.
Just wondering what's the price if it's $1000 a go that might explain why?

Edited by monkfish

Am I missing something here? Yes I am!

The drug was developed by a Japanese firm Fujifilm in 2014 of which the licence has now expired, now the Chinese copied said drug and were testing their own version.
OK considering the dire situation in the world at the mo why doesn't Fujifilm sell the recipe to every country at a fair price and let them make their version.

Edited by monkfish

Not only the Chinese version of the Japanese drug seems to help treat the paitients but an American version as well.  Niether are vacine that prevent infection but are  drugs which can possibly fight the infections.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/561516/trump-fda-approved-two-drugs-fight-virus-breakthrough/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly

13 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Am I missing something here? Yes I am!

The drug was developed by a Japanese firm Fujifilm in 2014 of which the licence has now expired, now the Chinese copied said drug and were testing their own version.
OK considering the dire situation in the world at the mo why doesn't Fujifilm sell the recipe to every country at a fair price and let them make their version.

Because most pharmaceutical ingredients of the world are made in China. Nobody can make drugs cheaper and faster than them.

Coronavirus: Drug shortage fears as India limits exports

India's drug makers rely on China for almost 70% of the active ingredients in their medicines, and industry experts have warned that they are likely to face shortages if the epidemic continues.

"Even drugs that aren't produced in China get their base ingredients from China. Globally there could be a shortage if China and India both get hit," warned analyst Shaun Rein from the China Market Research Group.

Almost all the factories of the world can come to a standstill if China stops all exports of whatever. 

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Yes but if it's working and you have Thousands dying you might want to try giving it to more people I would expect.
It was developed in Japan in 2014 so not a new drug.
Hopefully they send a load over to Italy soon.
Just wondering what's the price if it's $1000 a go that might explain why?

the raw chemical is available on alibaba.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Have-Stock-Fabricant-Avigan-Favipiravir-Hersteller_62514271583.html

from a quick googles, looks like the standard pill form dosage is 200mg.  would have to visit the journals to see what the treatment dosage would be.

shazam!  compare the china price to the western pricing for the same compound!  outsourcing makes sense!

1 gram ~$75 vs 50mg $500

http://www.abmole.com/products/t-705.html

Edited by ChouDoufu

On 3/18/2020 at 9:47 AM, emptypockets said:

Great business plan. Cause a problem and then sell the solution. Been quite a few movies made based on this premise. Kingsman  -The Golden Circle comes to mind.

Government in general comes to mind

12 hours ago, DrTuner said:

There is little if any, actual evidence to support this claimed cycle. At best it might be applicable to a small or specific population but generally it fails. Mathematical Catastrophe theory fairs much better because it shows 'tipping' points can occur. 

• Like 1

Pharmaceutical treatment of Covid19 at the present time is being applied in a shotgun manner I.e. Lots of drugs in coordination to treat individual symptoms Much of how medicine treats human illness and diseases actually.

There is no vaccine, cure as yet developed. As far as I’m aware there have been no reports of people developing immunity to the virus either.

Expect the government to get just enough to cover the amartya, and make it was too expensive for the run-of-the-mill Thai to buy.

Cynical?

Yep, that's what watching what these beggars do for 16 years does for you. It makes you cynical and illustrates very clearly who they really care about. I have bno doubt that certain guarantees about availability for Sino-Thais first had to be given. Whatever else it is, China is not stupid. Look after those first who will look after you first.

Edited by ParkerN

12 hours ago, Don Chance said:

My apologies for not reading all, but the same drug has killed some friends who had Hep. B and C.

This medication is used to treat various cancers (e.g., leukemia, melanoma, AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma). It is also used to treat virus infections (e.g., chronic hepatitis B, chronic hepatitis C, condylomata acuminata). This medication is the same as a protein that your body naturally produces (interferon).

WARNINGS: 

This medication can rarely cause or worsen serious (rarely fatal) medical conditions, including mental/mood conditions (e.g., depression), immune system problems (autoimmune conditions such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis), circulation problems, or infections. If your medical history includes any of these conditions, tell your doctor promptly. Also, tell your doctor right away if any serious symptoms or side effects occur (see Side Effects section).

This medication may be combined with ribavirin to treat chronic hepatitis C. Ribavirin may cause harm to an unborn baby or death. Women must avoid pregnancy while they or their male partners are using ribavirin. Ribavirin may cause a blood disorder (hemolytic anemia), which can worsen heart disease. If you are using this medication with ribavirin to treat chronic hepatitis C, also carefully read the drug information for ribavirin.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-37/interferon-alfa-2b-injection/details

Cure the death with the death? No, thanks. 

On 3/18/2020 at 8:47 PM, emptypockets said:

Great business plan. Cause a problem and then sell the solution. Been quite a few movies made based on this premise. Kingsman  -The Golden Circle comes to mind.

Well, there you are Mr. KAFFY the virus maker that sold anti-viral products to dummies with their computer, marketed like crazy to a queue of fine testimonials, etpc., 

7 hours ago, TKDfella said:

There is little if any, actual evidence to support this claimed cycle. At best it might be applicable to a small or specific population but generally it fails. Mathematical Catastrophe theory fairs much better because it shows 'tipping' points can occur. 

Well yes it's psychology, it's a soft science. I've found it pretty useful while observing the headless chicken running around the backyard.

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2020 at 11:04 PM, EricTh said:

What about face-masks, can you still find it in China?

It is difficult to find N95 mask in Thailand.

Yes,it's nowadays easily to find masks in China.

if you need masks you can cotact me,we can provide both disposable masks and N95 masks

1 hour ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Sorry to say, but this news just adds to my conspiracy theories, China produced the Virus, now it claims to have the Antidote. Why am I not surprised ?

but a report on foxnews says the virus is of natural origin.  if it's on fox, it's gotta be true!

Researchers say COVID-19 product of ‘natural evolution’ not a ‘laboratory construct’

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/researchers-say-covid-19-product-of-natural-evolution-not-a-laboratory-construct

anyhoo, the "antidote" is just one of many possible treatments that may shorten the recovery process.  it's not a cure.  it's currently manufactured by a company in china under license from the japanese firm fujifilm that developed it.  from the links above, it seems to also be manufactured by licensed pharma firms in europe.  do note the price difference!  who's making bank?

if your conspiracy theory is to be believed, then japan would be behind this, right?

Edited by ChouDoufu

2 hours ago, ylin1 said:

Yes,it's nowadays easily to find masks in China.

if you need masks you can cotact me,we can provide both disposable masks and N95 masks

and that's called "opportunity" marketing..... people do take any and all opportunities to make a buck/quid