When will it all go back to 'normal'?

For anyone who didn't see it, BOT announced new 2020 projections for the economy including:

Economy (GDP) to shrink by 5.3%, (yes, Thailand will experience a recession just like everyone else).

Exports to shrink by 8.8% (includes tourism).

Inflation to fall to -1.0%

Some currency watchers are forecasting THB will hit a mid year low of 34 against USD before resuming its long term upward trajectory, that seems about as a good as any guess I suppose.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/19/2020 at 5:45 AM, shy coconut said:

The chief medical spokesman in the UK was saying progress was being made

on a test for antibodies which would determine whether someone had had

a dose of this virus.

No details were given about the timescale but I did get the impression that it

would come a lot quicker than an anti virus jab.

If/when a  farlang tests positive in Los ,  what are his options in Thailand.?

IMO ,  in the next two years, the virus/ panic will worsen..

35 minutes ago, elliss said:

Here in Australia:

- Yesterday - Chief medical officers say if people seriously practice distancing and hand cleaning and masks and stay home as much as possible then there could be a return to nearly normal within 60 days.

- Today - News about a very good new fast test conducted through thumb / finger print.

37 minutes ago, elliss said:

Stay home or go to the hospital, government or private, going back to home home wouldn't be an option.

I think you are quite wrong about the future, quite wrong indeed.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:58 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you blame all Chines people and want to make them pay? Should they also pay for the incompetence and ignorance of the leaders in other countries?

Yes.  If not for their filthy wet markets or virus research lab or what have you, none of this would've happened.  The entire planet has been crippled by this virus.

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Here in Australia:

- Yesterday - Chief medical officers say if people seriously practice distancing and hand cleaning and masks and stay home as much as possible then there could be a return to nearly normal within 60 days.

- Today - News about a very good new fast test conducted through thumb / finger print.

If you stay at home, and no visitors, why the need for hand cleaning or masks?

Just wondering?

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just wondering?

I think he was just laying out all options. Or, he has stock in a psychotropic medicine company and he is feeding on the new OCD washing hands 30 times a day.

But, PRELIMINARy off the Cuomo press conference today, hospitalization projections are rapidly slowing. If it is as I HOPE it is, there shoud be some more positive news in a few days more.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just wondering?

I think the principle is to give an easy message to the people.

If the message would be: use masks if you go outside and see other people and clean your hands. But if you stay home and don't see other people you don't need a mask but you should still clean your hands.

That would be more difficult to understand. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just wondering?

We got in the car to go out to one of the few places open at night here and my TW put a mask on as we got in the car , I said we have a Vios not a phu.... Virus.   I mean   really !

1 hour ago, sukhumvitneon said:

Yes.  If not for their filthy wet markets or virus research lab or what have you, none of this would've happened.  The entire planet has been crippled by this virus.

Wet markets probably. Made in a lab is very highly unlikely, according to the latest research I read. I don't recall the link, though. The authors suggested it was most likely a product of natural evolution, judging by the structure of the virus. 

It seems too much interaction with humans and wild animals cause the virus to be able to jump species. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the principle is to give an easy message to the people.

If the message would be: use masks if you go outside and see other people and clean your hands. But if you stay home and don't see other people you don't need a mask but you should still clean your hands.

That would be more difficult to understand. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid

It's not difficult at all, but even people in the most supposedly education western nations have real trouble understanding what is required, especially the youngsters. They are apathetic now, but wait until the new daily cases turn into the hundreds of thousands. 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just wondering?

Point taken, I was thinking about my son regularly pushing his 3 kids to wash hands etc. He does it at home, as well as outside (if they need to go outside, kept to an absolute minimum), to keep them 'on the ball'.

2 hours ago, sukhumvitneon said:

I guess your assuming that food preparation factories and restaurants in all countries, including so called first world, are all squeaky clean.

Many times i've heard about factory owners paying for inside information re date/time inspectors will visit and being slack on cleanliness until just before inspectors visit.

I once took a team of business students on a tour of large restaurants in an Australian city, the purpose being to see 'the real thing' and ask owners to share their business strategies.

The tours of many kitchens flagged in my head to never go there to eat.

Here in darkest deepest Surin at the edge of the world, my family 40km away in the village & farm is barely past the 'colona? wot dat?' stage.

2 BILs + kids arrive every day mask-free to work on our new khlong near the house and the new chicken house & run. No point in the cops stopping them as they wouldn't have a brass satang between them.

My b/f has at last got the message that the bank won't let him inside to complain about the 5000฿ the atm stole yesterday unless he wears a mask, but it's not quite fashionable enough yet in his eyes so I'm not allowed to take a photo of him with it to post on Facebook (sigh) ...

As to washing hands, b/f has more or less got the message though off a low base. As to the others, they spend the day either here in the dirt or at the farm with the animals. No point. They just laugh. KR shells used to rain down upon them in the village when they were small so they're not afraid of a silly little wilus.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Here in Australia:

Correction on second point, it's a very simple blood test <deleted> on the thumb. 

Blood spot is placed on a very small test bed, colour to indicate yes or no comes up in 15 minutes. Seems it's now in use but a little further development and it can indicate that you are free of the virus now but have had it in the past. 

On 3/26/2020 at 10:52 AM, BritManToo said:

Just wondering?

Hand sports , come too mind ...

After reading some Chinese details that are not from the government, I tend to believe that it might take another three months, and the nightmare will be over.

People who'll get infected, but only show flu-like symptoms, will be immune to the virus and perhaps any other mutations of it.

In such times it doesn't help to see all negative; positive thinking will help many of us not to get infected because the body's producing more Adrenaline.

It's a great time to go for a degree, plenty of free courses are available on Future Learn, one of them covering the Covid 19 has just started for those who'd like to know a little bit more about it and receive all the new updates.

It has just started on the 23rd of this month, you can sign up and start immediately. 

For those who need certificates for the teacher's license renewal, or those who want to know more about online teaching, which seems to be the best time now to make some money, are courses available.

You can have a certificate after completing a course.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/covid19-novel-coronavirus

If you like to play games you had on W 7 on your Windows 10, here's virus and malware free link to download all the games here:

https://winaero.com/download.php?view.1836

On 3/19/2020 at 11:24 PM, balo said:

Remember they managed to stop it in China within 60 days. 

Italy will probably take a lot longer, but other European countries are doing the right thing now so I expect to see less corona cases in April. 

Sadly in the Uk we are about to go peak....and we are hunkered down in lockdown with our PM having succumbed. 

Archived