When will it all go back to 'normal'?

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's not forget that the UK has the NHS, basically free medical treatment for all of them.

Ah. Someone who has never actually experienced the NHS.

Many cherished notions about "free" medical care are going to be blown apart over the next six months.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

And your question from an analytical point of view is totally irrelevant.

If you analyse something with emotions... you're lost.

And unfortunately, many people do like you.

You do not think.

You just react.

You're 80 old ? Yes you could die.

So what ?

Think about your young grand-children... and the insane world you leave to them if you continue to be blinded by propaganda and fear.

Voila. That would be constructive way to see and analyse the world.... And this virus.

I'm guessing you don't believe in global warming,  you think the Baht is manipulated and that Central Banks are owned by the elite, am I right?

Congrats to my stalker on reaching 29 confused smileys this month, well done!

26 minutes ago, saengd said:

I just don't get the blame game or revenge at this stage of the proceedings and I don't think it's helpful, constructive or warranted. With hindsight China would have done things differently, with hindsight I wouldn't have married my first wife either!

With hindsight I'd be a billionaire, and would never have contemplated any relationship with a Western woman.

2 minutes ago, saengd said:

I'm guessing you don't believe in global warming,  you think the Baht is manipulated and that Central Banks are owned by the elite, am I right?

There is no reason to get abusive and nasty. He told you his arguments, and you may disagree.

11 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

But that's as a consequence of a Saudi decision that's completely independent of the coronavirus (although that hasn't helped) - https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/09/business/oil-price-crash-explainer/index.html

I didnt say it was a consequence, I was pointing out other factors could easily exasperate things...btw it wasnt SA it was Russia blowing out OPEC the week before, that was the catalyst. You think its unconnected to the virus in timing ? China had already been shut for month and demand had already fallen off a cliff, these things dont just happen we are talking trillions in play and being lost. It was timed of course to coincide with other events, including Turkeys actions of late, China in shutdown and a virus going global that was going to decimate demand anyway .. these things dont just happen, they are planned and executed. 

2 hours ago, Chazar said:

Thais  have  a  short  attention  span

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

How does that connect to my original post?

Not connect.

He like to thaibash every thread. 

Simple guy.

The key event to watch for is the Tokyo Olympics scheduled to start on July 24.  If the Olympics start off with a stadium full of people then “normal” will have to restored by June 2020.  If not then it will be a true Marathon.  At this point I am thinking it might be better to be amongst my fellow Americans as we endure this pandemic for the long haul.  

I just heard from Pension Board that “liquidity” for the immediate term is not a problem.  This is code word that I and my fellow retirees will get our next retirement check.  But anything beyond that is not guaranteed that disruptions or delays in payment will not be effected.  Of course the Catch 22 is fewer International flights will make it difficult to Bug Out of LOS in the next 30 days.

Now Cliche time:  Keep Calm and Carry On.

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I just heard from Pension Board that “liquidity” for the immediate term is not a problem.  This is code word that I and my fellow retirees will get our next retirement check.

Governments can always print more money if they have to. More interestingly, will SSA beneficiaries abroad get the cash payment that Trump and Munchkin are promising?

In my opinion some level of normality will be restored in places where the number of intensive care beds becomes sufficient to cater for the Covid 19 cases, on top of the normal workload. Confinement can then be progressively relaxed, as is the case in China. 

There will be of course several other stages as effective treatment protocols emerge, vaccines are developed and natural immunity sets in.

56 minutes ago, saengd said:

Abusive and nasty? You should get out more!

I certainly should go out more, but this is off topic.

If you disagree with anything here, try to substaniate  your reasoning. With your flippant responses, you are just making a clown of yourself.

18 minutes ago, henry2109 said:

I certainly should go out more, but this is off topic.

If you disagree with anything here, try to substaniate  your reasoning. With your flippant responses, you are just making a clown of yourself.

I was trying to make light of it all and to be jocular but you seem to have been offended, you poor delicate thing you. OK, I'll give you a rebuttal, how's about, anyone who starts a post with the following words can't possibly be taken seriously: 

"On one hand, the "report" written by a bunch of demented doctors in England (Imperial College), based on speculations and absurd extrapolations".

Presumably you are not Anglo Saxon, in which case you can be partially forgiven for not knowing that Imperial College in London is one of the premier research universities in the world, first opened in 1850 it is renowned for excellence in science and medical research. The idea that anyone would think Imperial might employ demented doctors to research something such as the flu virus is laughable and instantly makes anything further that person has to say worthless. The idea that those researchers used absurd extrapolations is more absurd than the notion that it be so! One would assume that any intelligent person reading that post would have arrived at the same conclusions, that you did not and instead you saw my flippancy as insulting calls into question your reading and comprehension abilities.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm of back to blighty tonight - though my visa is OK until January, so can come back no problems. So, couple months playing way through all the Resi-evil games in a B and B. I have a health issue and am in constant contact with pharmacists at virology labs/hospitals and they are saying no current quick fixes on the horizon.

My own theory is that unless a vaccine come in in the next couple of months, people (non in at risk categories) will be ordered back to work and told they have to accept the risk of infection and the issues that may bring with their own families who they can isolate in advance. In UK labour would moan, add caveats but would have to accept it as the country would end without it.

The world could not shut down for say 18 months - couple at best. After that with no food there would be anarchy and survival of the fittest. (which cuts out a lot of us old fat farang !!) Even that bog roll and pasta would run out in 18 months ! people would be breaking into your home and stealing your food and leaving your valuables ! Or punching policeman to get jailed and fed !

It will not help government printing money in times of complete isolation - with no food that money is worthless - and there would be no open shops to spend it in and no postman to deliver anything online anyhow ! 

No, for me, new legislation, Ordered back to work in the next few months. I also expect new high tariffs on all Chinese products until all the debt is repaid for the borrowed money supporting current action. 

Funny thing for me in all this is that people are sat at home ordering Chinese food blaming the Chinese for their ills !

No one has asked for a total shut down. What we are all being asked to do is to behave responsibly. Many of the social distancing measures can continue without  causing problems.  Hand washing and public hygiene are good practices.

- The goal is to protect the vulnerable, including the elderly over age 65.

- Food can still be grown because much of it is task specific, automated  and solitary work.

The migrant workers will still be there to pick the produce, but they will be  isolated to just themselves.

- Food processing plants, pharmaceutical manufacturing  & high tech ops already observe strict hygiene measures with employees in protective gear. Once the wave of infection subsides it will be easy to have regular  infection testing using quick tests.

- The service industry will slowly be allowed to reopen but asked to keep lower  customer density.

- There is no shortage of toilet paper. Canada and the USA have lots of cheap pulp.

- With the bullying of Canada by China, Canada has a couple years worth of surplus wheat, barley, canola, rye, barley, and oats that can easily be sold to the UK to replace the  Chinese. It also has  poultry, and pork in surplus as does the USA.

- The USA has an abundant supply of rice and corn for export.

- The UK will protect its  ocean resources so there will fish to eat.

And on and on it goes. We will get through this even with lockdowns.

All that needs to be done is to keep the plague carriers out of the country and stop chasing the pipe dream that China is a land of opportunity. It isn't.

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

I well understand that nobody knows what's really ahead for any country and when the situation might start to go back to 'normal'.

Well, when the pain from the cure exceeds the danger from the virus there might be some softening in travel restrictions.

This because otherwise the whole world economy will suffer tremendously and people will no longer have the financial means to support themselves.

Humans fear the unknown because .........they don't know how bad it will get.

7 hours ago, Tayaout said:

The last news network I would believe is the Clinton News Network.  They only report things htat are against tthe Goverment Hell they are protecting and standing up for CHINA.

Covid might end up being like rabies.  there is always a chance you get it, and if you do then go get your series of shots.  or like the flu.  get sick, some die, some don't.  

This is more of a hospital problem.  I think it's over when all the hospitals in the world can deal with the new cases.  then it's a "normal" life.

so now the world knows we are vulnerable.  and maybe kids will learn to take care of their parents.  and now we learned our iphones are not magic, and that health is important, and money can't save us.  

we are now all soldiers in this war.  

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

Covid might end up being like rabies.  there is always a chance you get it, and if you do then go get your series of shots.  or like the flu.  get sick, some die, some don't.  

This is more of a hospital problem.  I think it's over when all the hospitals in the world can deal with the new cases.  then it's a "normal" life.

so now the world knows we are vulnerable.  and maybe kids will learn to take care of their parents.  and now we learned our iphones are not magic, and that health is important, and money can't save us.  

we are now all soldiers in this war.  

bit  dramatic, a  war where  97% survive, 17% need  hospitalization and 3% die

8 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Either way China is going to be severly punished for suppressing the information and allowing it to be spread to other countries.

but  will they change their eating habits and wet  markets  not  only in China but  other countries

Archived