UK can turn the tide against virus in next 12 weeks - PM Johnson

webfact

UK can turn the tide against virus in next 12 weeks - PM Johnson

2020-03-19T172603Z_1_LYNXMPEG2I1SY_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-JOHNSON.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson attends a news conference on the ongoing situation with the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in London, Britain March 18, 2020. Eddie Mulholland/Pool via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Thursday that Britain can turn the tide against the coronavirus outbreak within the next 12 weeks and eventually "send it packing".

"We can turn the tide within the next 12 weeks and I'm absolutely confident that we can send coronavirus packing in this country but only if we take the steps - we all take the steps - that we have outlined," Johnson said at a news conference.

(Reporting by Andy Bruce; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-20

Boris cannot control all the people all the time,it just doesn't work,in scotland they are still allowing festivals to continue now thats really going to help things,bloody stupidity i say. Thats the reason this virus could [I SAY COULD] infect about 94 million and kill up to 500000 people in 1 year  worldwide if people don't do as the goverments are saying you should do.

Edited by stuhan
  • Like 2

There is a fundamental difference between an british citizen and a chinese one .

The  ' modern '  , western guy is more obeying to his ' common sense " than to what he is told to do by the government .

that ' individualism ' can eventually help the virus to spread more easily .

The chinese are more obedient to orders by the government , they are more ' disciplined ' and less individual , what may be an advantage to fight the infections .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

There is always nice to see a positive man. However, In this case it´s a positive man that lost the grip of reality. That´s never nice to see.

Maybe if he took action earlier.head stuck in sand and  he's leading the country????????????????????

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Gilltom said:

Maybe if he took action earlier.head stuck in sand and  he's leading the country????????????????????

Yes, maybe. On the other hand, it´s just to face reality. The virus is not going to disappear into thin air. Due to that there is not going to be possible to have a potential vaccin on the market until earliest end of this year. Then I believe his and others hopeful ideas and solutions are just empty dreams.

i'm just waiting for Sadiq Khan to lock down London - at least the inner city. He sure ain't any admirer of johnson, who really is a wet blanket, out of his depth, PM. 

And for TV posters, I'm not knocking johnson, per se, it's the sad reality of his non performance to date. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sanuk711 said:

All these spoiled school kids there, are really p1ss1ng me off with their petty anxieties over school closures:

Will I be able to take my exams?

What if I don't get my expected grades?

What happens if I don't get my qualification?

Well, I left school at 15 with no qualifications whatsoever and it didn't do me any harm......Excuse me a minute...Hello sir, do you want fries with that?.....................:coffee1:

Sad you feel the need to bash individual worries.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, englishoak said:

The teams behind the Chief Scientific Advisor are extraordinary. They are genuinely the world leaders in their fields, and they are ridiculously good at their jobs.

They aren’t googling the answers, or parroting a line that they just heard from a pushy presenter on TV. The plans for this stuff are incredibly comprehensive, and help a government to act decisively, and at the right time.

So much in response is about timing – and too soon can be more dangerous than too late. Look at the second (winter) wave of Spanish flu (graph from CDC) That long game is what they - the experts are considering now. Pictures of smiling Chinese people removing masks are propaganda, not science. That’s designed to cause an emotional response, and not in your interests Success of early containment can only be judged in years.

We – in the UK, right now, are doing incredibly well considering. We’ll protect our vulnerable best by responding promptly when the time is right, and the people who hold that responsibility deserve our trust and our support. That takes guts. I know that. Now, more than ever.

Government scientists, advisors and staff also have families, elderly relatives, the immunocompromised. They aren’t automatons, they feel that weight of responsibility. Party politics simply doesn’t come into it. It just doesn’t. So don’t pander to it, or point score.

If your knowledge of the subject of pandemic is such that to understand the history of Spanish Flu you need to google it, then your dissent, because you are scared, has only one place. Your inner monologue. Keep it to yourself.

Be brave. Read up on the .gov advice. Listen and do as asked.

This is even more important than if you have a following for reasons other than your lack of viral expertise, so, some simple advice: Shut the <deleted> up, you are scaring people.

People like Piers Morgan might have a voice, but they’d kill us all if we listened to it. Mute them.

Lastly, don’t feel bad about being scared. I’ve been scared, many times, don’t mind admitting it. Turn off and mute the noise of those who seek personal gain by instilling fear and doubt in others or those that pander and promote the worst in us. Be Kind.

So, look after each other, particularly those who are less able and more at risk. Look after yourselves, your own mental as well as your physical health. Follow the science.

Wash your hands.

The last line above is THE most important thing anyone can do ..We WILL get through this and will do so best with cooperation and positive action, not running mouths off because of a lack of expertise in handling a viral pandemic outbreak.. 

Morgan/Peston & others were slated 2 days ago for desperately trying to land a 'gotcha' about something Boris's Dad had said instead of asking meaningful questions.

MSM are a bloody joke these days.

(Morgan is sulking because No10 know full well what his game is and are giving him a wide berth. Cabinet/PM interviews are a privilege for a broadcaster not a right, especially when there are other less hostile means of delivery)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1