16 national police infected with Covid-19, 220 in quarantine

webfact

16 national police infected with Covid-19, 220 in quarantine

By The Nation

800_f2d5aaa4e960a07.jpg?v=1584684454

Sixteen national police were infected with Covid-19, and 220 policemen would be in quarantine for 14 days to prevent further spread of the new coronavirus, Assistant National Police chief Pol Lt-General Piya Uthayo said.

Ten of the infected personnel were from Metropolitan Police Bureau, one from Border Patrol Police, one from Police General Hospital, one from Special Brach Bureau, one from Provincial Police Region 1 and one from Narcotics Suppression Bureau.

However, their condition was not considered critical and they would be taken care of by the medical team, Piya said.

Piya also said that three vendors had been arrested on Friday for selling overpriced face masks and warned other vendors not to violate the law during the coronavirus crisis.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384492

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-20

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

Sixteen national police were infected with Covid-19, and 220 policemen would be in quarantine for 14 days to prevent further spread of the new coronavirus, Assistant National Police chief Pol Lt-General Piya Uthayo said.

Ten of the infected personnel were from Metropolitan Police Bureau, one from Border Patrol Police, one from Police General Hospital, one from Special Brach Bureau, one from Provincial Police Region 1 and one from Narcotics Suppression Bureau.

That above would seem to be a pretty good indicator of widespread community transmission, at least in Bangkok. 

Unless the entire group had all been visiting the same bars or brothels or other hangouts together... Were they all hanging out at the muay thai boxing matches, by any chance?

An actual trained investigator (the police?) would report on whether and to what extent there was any/much commonality among those affected...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

An actual trained investigator (the police?) would report on whether and to what extent there was any/much commonality among those affected...

Here, an actual investigator would just wave a bomb detector.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, I'm betting the police who got tested and confirmed with CV didn't have to pay 10,000 baht a pop for their tests.

I asked about payment yesterday when I took my wife to the hospital. This is a private hospital, Mongutwattana. I asked who pays if a Thai family member comes in with serious symptoms and needs covid-19 testing. She first asked if the person had a 30 baht card for this hospital. I said no. Then she said if the symptoms were bad enough for the doctor to order a test, they would first request a case code from a central authority, in which case the patient does not pay.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

WOW!  Looks like we may hit a 1000 cases by Sunday at the current  rate.   Maybe time to declare a Level 3 emergency.  ????

Why is it so important to you for the Government "to declare a Level 3 emergency"?

It is not "level: it is "phase" and emergency has already been declared.

Difference between phase 2 and phase 3 is nto total numbers but whether source of infection can be explained in  all cases e.g. recent travel from an area of high transmission, attendance at one of the events known to have been a hotspot (like the boxing matches), close exposure to a known case etc.

Phase 3 is when cases are popping up that cannot be linked to an obvious transmission source.

From what I read it seems most cases are still traceable to a source but some were listed as still "under investigation" (not of having the virus but of figuring out where they got it) and there is also this "worked closely with foreigners" category that seems a bit vague.  Arguably it is already phase 3, if not it will be. The boxing matches were a major game changer, just too many people attended and then fanned back out into their community to keep it fully contained.

• Like 1