Replacement 'Ballast' for Circular Fluorescent Light Fixture

AgMech Cowboy

I have 3 circular fluorescent light fixtures in my home, built in 2005. The 2 outside (front porch and carport) have been given me trouble by not lighting the new bulbs (they're not bulbs, but I don't know what to call fluorescent circular light (bulbs).  Anyway, after returning to HomePro and having the new lights double checked that they're still working fine, I figured it must be the 'ballast' that's not 'firing' the tube.  I showed them the attached picture; 1x32W LeKise ELECTRONIC BALLAST.

The HomePro electric service attendant walked over to another station and gave me the SYLVANIA TRANSFORMER for 12V50w HALOGEN. I was like, Ok, and trotted off to the check-out counter. See Photo attached 

After removing the BALLAST and comparing the weight of these two items, I think they are not the same, but before I trot back up to HomePro (without my receipt) and try to return the TRANSFORMER.  I decided I needed to share with you other home self maintainers and get input from both the amateurs and professionals alike.

Inform me please!!!  Thank You!!

20190603_180806[1].jpg

20200321_115829[1].jpg

38 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Dont bother with flouros. Go to Thai Watsadu and but magnetic drop in LED's using the same fitting.???????????????? No ballast/starter. 3 times as bright for 1/10th running cost. Soon as mine go I change them.

Changed my house over a year back.

They ain't that reliable, 1 failed already and 1 on it's way out of 6 ...... so nowhere near the rated hours.

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They ain't that reliable, 1 failed already and 1 on it's way out of 6 ...... so nowhere near the rated hours.

Some of my 3 years and counting . No problems yet. Touch wood!????????????????

That 12v transformer is not what you want and highly doubt your 3 units failed.  Can you provide photo of the lamps you have/and packaging?  As said most people have changed to using no ballast type LED systems and today most should be of better quality than some of the Chinese items sold previously.  

Have you actually tried the Electronic Ballast?

The weight difference is not a problem as the electronic unit is full of microchips and stuff instead of the heavy transformers of the old unit.

I have replaced my round tube ballasts with these electronic ones:-

2051939310_BallastonicResized.jpg.6dbccefdafadd4c487de9cd9f7457241.jpg

Work just fine with the addition benefit of instant on, no more flicking time before the light comes on.

Lamptan is stocked by HomePro, well at least in my local store.

:thumbsup: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Can you provide photo of the lamps you have/and packaging?

Thank you, @lopburi3 It's such a PitA to take a photo, plug in and upload.  I took the two new lamps up to HomePro to be sure they were both still okay. Both were just fine.  I threw the packaging away a long time ago.  The lamps are just plan ol circular tubes. Mind you, the first time I went to buy replacements they sold me LED lamps (I was lame and didn't bring an old lamp with me).  I'll probably follow up with Daffy's recommendation.

I really appreciate your input.

6 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Dont bother with flouros. Go to Thai Watsadu and but magnetic drop in LED's using the same fitting.???????????????? No ballast/starter. 3 times as bright for 1/10th running cost. Soon as mine go I change them.

@DPKANKAN Next time, maybe. I've lived here since 2005 and this is only the second time I've ever had to change the 'lamps'. Plus, Flouros are also much cheaper than LED.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

@BritManToo I appreciate the input. I've had mixed results with the LED regular bulb changes, so was sort of against changing these since I've had such long life with the flouros.

4 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Have you actually tried the Electronic Ballast?

The weight difference is not a problem as the electronic unit is full of microchips and stuff instead of the heavy transformers of the old unit.

I have replaced my round tube ballasts with these electronic ones:-

Work just fine with the addition benefit of instant on, no more flicking time before the light comes on.

Lamptan is stocked by HomePro, well at least in my local store.

:thumbsup: 

@Daffy D Thank you, I have not tried the one you have shown me, but I'm going to now. I really appreciate you input. ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

@DPKANKAN Next time, maybe. I've lived here since 2005 and this is only the second time I've ever had to change the 'lamps'. Plus, Flouros are also much cheaper than LED.

@BritManToo I appreciate the input. I've had mixed results with the LED regular bulb changes, so was sort of against changing these since I've had such long life with the flouros.

300 baht for an LED is expensive!!!????????????????