Credit Card Fraud

Stayed in Cha Am a few weeks ago and used a credit card to pay local hotel bill. Within a day or two a cloned copy was being used in Sri Lanka.

Credit card cloning/fraud is universal of course, but was wondering if anybody else has experienced a point of compromise on their card in Cha Am.

i've never been to cha am , but I have had my card cloned in Thailand just about every trip there.

I vacation in LOS just about every other year and I would say that the last 3 or 4 trips I have had my credit card cloned. I am not sure where it is being done at as I have visited Bangkok, Pattaya , Krabi, Phuket, Hua Hin, and Koh Samet, plus a few other little towns.

I let my credit card company know when and where I am traveling and they monitor my card usage. The last time my card number was taken somebody in Japan was trying to buy $1300.00 dollars worth of groceries. I guess they wer planning one heck of a party.

I have never been responsible for any of the charges, I just had to fill out a fraud report. They usally contact me by phone and ask if i made the charges and when i tell them no, they cancel the card immediately and with in 2 days I have a new card.

So yes I have experienced this.

PKG

i've never been to cha am , but I have had my card cloned in Thailand just about every trip there.

I vacation in LOS just about every other year and I would say that the last 3 or 4 trips I have had my credit card cloned. I am not sure where it is being done at as I have visited Bangkok, Pattaya , Krabi, Phuket, Hua Hin, and Koh Samet, plus a few other little towns.

I let my credit card company know when and where I am traveling and they monitor my card usage. The last time my card number was taken somebody in Japan was trying to buy $1300.00 dollars worth of groceries. I guess they wer planning one heck of a party.

I have never been responsible for any of the charges, I just had to fill out a fraud report. They usally contact me by phone and ask if i made the charges and when i tell them no, they cancel the card immediately and with in 2 days I have a new card.

PKG

Presumably, when you say you have a new card withing a couple of days you are not talking about it being sent to Thailand. My card company refuses to send replacement cards to a registered Thai address due to increased interception and fraud. I have been without a card for two years and will only get a replacement when I visit the UK later in the year.

You don't realise how not having a credit card restricts you purchaes, particularly on the Internet, until you don't have one!

Presumably, when you say you have a new card withing a couple of days you are not talking about it being sent to Thailand. My card company refuses to send replacement cards to a registered Thai address due to increased interception and fraud.

UK financial institutions should adopt the procedure done since years by U.S. and some banks in Europe and Singapore. credit cards are sent but have to be activated with a code by the recipient. with american cards it's a bit complicated as the activation is normally required from the homephone.

Presumably, when you say you have a new card withing a couple of days you are not talking about it being sent to Thailand. My card company refuses to send replacement cards to a registered Thai address due to increased interception and fraud.

UK financial institutions should adopt the procedure done since years by U.S. and some banks in Europe and Singapore. credit cards are sent but have to be activated with a code by the recipient. with american cards it's a bit complicated as the activation is normally required from the homephone.

I think most/all already do. When I receive my new UK card (at my UK address) I have to phone the bank and answer several security questions before it is activated.

Edited by Contractor

Stayed in Cha Am a few weeks ago and used a credit card to pay local hotel bill. Within a day or two a cloned copy was being used in Sri Lanka.

Credit card cloning/fraud is universal of course, but was wondering if anybody else has experienced a point of compromise on their card in Cha Am.

I remember my trip to Bangkok few years ago.

I was staying at one of the big hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 11, for 10 days. I used my AX creddit card charged charged for my hotel room, some meals at the restaurants inside the hotel. Also did some chopping at Central department store.

To my horror, on my AX monthly statement, came after I got back home. There were at least six unautorized charges from Isarn (Korat, Khon-Khean where I had never been to).

For me I was easy to remermber where I use my credit card. I only charge on a big item like something over 10,000 BTH.

I contacked the card headquarter, I got all those charges lift off from my account. After this incidence, I only bring some cash and lot of travel check whenever I'm traveling. I find it much safe and hassle free when I'm in Bangkok.

Bangkok Bank is the best to cash your travel check, they give you very good rate and no commission. Best to avoid is Asia Bank, they charge 2.5 % - 3 % commission.

PKG

Presumably, when you say you have a new card withing a couple of days you are not talking about it being sent to Thailand. My card company refuses to send replacement cards to a registered Thai address due to increased interception and fraud. I have been without a card for two years and will only get a replacement when I visit the UK later in the year.

You don't realise how not having a credit card restricts you purchaes, particularly on the Internet, until you don't have one!

You are correct. I have only found out my numbers were lifted once I was back in the states.

Did you ever try to get a Thai credit card? maybe just for internet purchases.

I kinda understand your credit cards policy. I rarely use my card in Thailand anymore. I prefere travelers checks.

PKG

> You don't realise how not having a credit card restricts you purchaes, particularly

> on the Internet, until you don't have one!

And there is your solution.

Do not rely on only one credit card. Carry a back up and have reserves at home/hotel too.

Why so many ?

Assume the situation where your primary card has been cloned without your knowledge, however your bank has registered a suspect transaction on this account and suspended the card. If you are away from home and travelling you might be needing a CC to get plane tickets/ a car etc. So you need a back up to hand.

You should set up CCs with multiple providers. If one card is suspended, others from the same provider may also be frozen.

My Brother travelled to Bangkok several months ago and used credit card to pay the hotel bill as well. He was so surprise when he received a phone call from the Bank one week later to verify with him whether is he buying goods in US, the amt is a shocking USD2,500!! :D :D

Luckily the bank called... :o

--------------------

Online Fraud Prevention Solution : http://www.fraudlabs.com

IP2Location Internet Geolocation :

ip2location.png

Edited by Hexaworm

PKG

I had the same problem with Barclays about posting my card overseas so I suggested to them that they send it to me by courier - A week later it arrived via the carriers DHL

When this card expired three years later I again wrote to them requesting that the replacement card be sent by couriers. Once again it arrived coutesy of DHL - All done very amicably with no charge whatsoever to me!

I've got two Thai credit cards and both required activation by phone and subsequent questions regarding my personal details.

As far as I am concerned using a credit card in Thailand would require a huge emergency of some sort. In all the years I have been here, I have NOT had a huge emergency. Why take a chance?

I used a cc to buy a new handphone from a shop just outside Tesco's in Ubon.

Within a couple of hours HSBC were calling me to authorize GBP1.500 for a purchase of gold in Taiwan.

First time it had happened in 16 years of constantly using cc's in Thailand.

As an aside they got a replacement to me in Singapore , the cards issued from UK my address has always been in Thailand. Unfortunately the card ame directly from MC and as such with no banks name on it was not welcomed by most retailers.

Cheers

I had the same problem with Barclays about posting my card overseas so I suggested to them that they send it to me by courier - A week later it arrived via the carriers DHL

When this card expired three years later I again wrote to them requesting that the replacement card be sent by couriers. Once again it arrived coutesy of DHL - All done very amicably with no charge whatsoever to me!

Curious! I have an account with Barclaycard VISA and they refuse adamantly to send replacement cards to Thailand.

The problem is that the equipment to clone your card can be bought at many shops in Bangkok. Even the yellow pages has the equipment listed.

Never let your card out of eye sight plus watch the person with the card does not swipe it in a small hand held device then you may ok as long as someone has not used their mp3 player to record all transactions at the point where the terminal where card is swiped. Some guy was caught for the data recording one some months ago.

Do not use your credit card online at an internet cafe as some kind people may have installed keyloggers. This happy software will record all keystrokes or can be filtered to just record credit card numbers and other related data then will automatically email these honest people with the catch everyday.

I do the following. Use cash whenever I have some. Then only use my card after warning the person I hand my card to that I will be coming to say hello to them if my card is cloned or has been used online. ( I watch my card throughout the whole transaction)

I never use my card at internet cafes.

In fact only on my own pc and only using pay pal.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

In general, you will not be liable for fraudulent use of your credit card (which obviously includes cloning). The unfortunate souls who lose out are the merchants where the card was used fraudulenty, and they will usually be internet transactions. The banks actually make money from such fraudulent transactions since they charge a "chargeback fee" to the merchant. Unless the merchant can prove that the real cardholder gave authority to use the card, they will lose the money - it will be refunded to the cardholder, and the bank gets its fees.

The problem is that the equipment to clone your card can be bought at many shops in Bangkok. Even the yellow pages has the equipment listed.

Never let your card out of eye sight plus watch the person with the card does not swipe it in a small hand held device then you may ok as long as someone has not used their mp3 player to record all transactions at the point where the terminal where card is swiped. Some guy was caught for the data recording one some months ago.

Do not use your credit card online at an internet cafe as some kind people may have installed keyloggers. This happy software will record all keystrokes or can be filtered to just record credit card numbers and other related data then will automatically email these honest people with the catch everyday.

I do the following. Use cash whenever I have some. Then only use my card after warning the person I hand my card to that I will be coming to say hello to them if my card is cloned or has been used online. ( I watch my card throughout the whole transaction)

I never use my card at internet cafes.

In fact only on my own pc and only using pay pal.

Hope this helps

Yes, keep an eye on your card. Especially at Central Department stores. They always walk away with your card to the cashiers. You sometimes dont see them for up to 5 minutes. Lots can happen while waiting for the bill to come.

Although not had my card cloned, i did notice that when i used my card a a guarantee for a car hre, they wrote the 3 digit security number on the back of the slip, which would make it easy for a fraud to take place.

Last year my Visa card was cloned. My bank told me in Thailand phone lines of ATMs are intercepted to get the data. Even if your card is electronically read at the desk inside a bank the data go over a telephone line.

You can reduce the risk by using the card only at ATMs at banks and as rarely as possible. But you can avoid the risk only by not using the card at all.

Edited by willi2006

Having your card cloned when using it and having your card stolen in the post before you receive it are two different problems.

In both cases UK credit card companies will protect the carrier against any unauthorized use of the card and account provided they are correctly notified.

So first advice to the OP is contact your credit card company to see what you need to do to stop the charges and get a refund.

The rules may be different card to card, and following the rules is important to ensure the refund is made. So do find out the reporting procedure before you make your report.

I'd be interested to know if your card is a Foreign/Thai card and how you get on with the refund request.

I think most/all already do. When I receive my new UK card (at my UK address) I have to phone the bank and answer several security questions before it is activated.

Why dont credit cards put our photos on cards ? it would help

Last year my Visa card was cloned. My bank told me in Thailand phone lines of ATMs are intercepted to get the data.

I had the same experience and same response from my bank.

The band advised to avoid use of ATM's that are not in the wall of a bank.

Over 10K was put on my card in a 5 day period.

Airfares in Malaysia, Gold in Dubai, Electronics in HK...

It only stopped when the card maxed out.

I now only use the card to draw out cash at a bank, and am very selective about where i use it apart from that.

Sombody got my credit card info the other day.

I was about to make a purchase, called my Bank and found out my account had been hijacked/blocked.

Someone attempting cash withdrawls all over town.

They FED-EXed a new one to my Bangkok Condo.

I also contacted Equifax to put an alert on my name to prevent ID theft.

the device to read and clone any plastic (ATM|CC) called "skimmer", usually installed over ATM machine as slot extension, reads all card info while you're inserting it, can keep up to 10,000 records, and works for weeks on it's own battery.

small hiden camera will record your PIN on the keypad, and the whole card is cloned.

simple and easy.

Keyloggers ARE at the Internet cafes, don't be naive - they all have khun Myau, who explains the benefits, and comes often to help with PC.

btw, did anyone get his money back from CC fraud here and recently ? I want to hear the good story.