Sharp increase in Covid-19 cases in Thai provinces 'cause for concern'

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, SkyFax said:

I have no idea how many MoChit-ers might be positive / asymptomatic but the same was said of the pandemonium that would ensue after Thais returning from Korea but 

240 Thais who returned from South Korea test negative for Covid-19

Of the Thais who returned from South Korea, 240 have been allowed to return to their homes after they tested negative for new coronavirus or Covid-19, Admiral Prachachart Sirisawat, Royal Thai Navy spokesman, said on Friday (March 13).

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384061

What about how any were positive. Doesn't Say?

I thought there were thousands returned.

We need to know how many did they actually get to test, And how many were positive?

Anybody have any Info on this?

• Like 1

I fear the worst if this reaches the villages. Very little access to the internet and often incorrect information is repeated by word of mouth and treated as gospel truth.

Not to mention 4 generations living cramped in the same house, and questionable hygiene. Could get messy, quickly.

• Like 1

Im curious how many people are starting to wake up now that the <deleted> is hitting the fan , in the begining of this pandamic there where already a lot of younger people supporting FF that where protesting against prayut , in that period he was still saying everything with the decease(virus) was 100% under controle . But now that the <deleted> is really hitting the fan that is outed for the lie that it was publicly.

5 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

The figures being put about for mortality rates are either based on current confirmed cases and deaths or based on assumptions. The figure of about 1% is based on the assumption that everyone that requires hospital treatment will get it. Italy is already proving this to be an incorrect assumption with a current mortality rate of 9%.

Yes Italy has an extreme high mortality rate, far higher than any other country in the world, but that is still not 20% of the population of Italy

• Like 1

Not known for imaginative forward thinking.....but then again why would he be? No leadership just the usual vested interests and noise. Having said that Thailand does have excellent doctors and very good health care in general. Better than many places

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

can't blame the people for trying to save themselves, place it where it's due - this incompetent administration. seriously did they learn nothing from Milan?? shutting all the businesses BEFORE locking Bangkok down - the idiots, what did they think would happen?

the people are still fleeing and the government are nowhere to be found

this is gonna be a disaster 

There is more chance of finding Rocking Horse Poop, than brains in this government. Hens teeth!!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brigand said:

You have to realise that the locals don't give a flying fc*k about this sort of thing. You can't appeal to their better nature as it's concentrated on me me me. They will not do as they are told, will all disappear to where they want and to hell with the consequences as long as I'm OK. There is very little community beyond the villages and even in the village it's vicious. The photos of Morchit sum it up well ...screw everyone so long as I get out. They may as well just accept the casualty rates and carry on as normal as you are not going to get any coming together of society as it looks like everyone for themselves and if it gets you it gets you. A symptom of the modern world I'm afraid and we will see the results soon enough.

Agree

34 minutes ago, dpcjsr said:

In Phayao I have seen a number of attractive tattooed young women that I have never seen before. The girls are leaving the south and going home until this thing blows over and unfortunately some of them might be spreading the virus to the rest of Thailand. 

Photos?....JK, stay safe and protected.....

Honestly what more could you expect,with an anti farang health minister running the country.They did nothing in the first month.If anyone believes the numbers they have been putting out then do so at your own peril.I predict that after sonkran there will be thousands of corona virus cases in every province.Just Look next time you go to a supermarket or macro and see how many people use the tongs picking up the chicken legs.Absolute breeding place for germs to spread.Thats my thoughts anyway

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Denim said:

Plenty of examples of this sort of behavior in our own countries. Can't fix stupid no matter where it rears its face.

It seems you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. If people in BKK have no work,how are they supposed to live? They need money for rent and food. Money they don't have. That's why they have to go back home. So don't talk about ignorance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Say a prayer for Thailand's poor, its going to get very ugly very soon. :crying:

Poverty has nothing to do with this.

Yes, the elderly and the weak will die.  That is already known.

But the other 99% will recover, their bodies now contain antibodies and are immune to the virus.

They will all go back to Bangkok and Pattaya and life will be back to normal

1 hour ago, Susco said:

How convenient that you quote the WHO's 3.4%, but forget the rest of the sentence, not?

Here it is for you again.

but his figure was calculated by dividing the number of deaths by the number of officially confirmed cases. We know there are many more mild cases that do not get to hospital and are not being counted, which would bring the mortality rate significantly down.

Having everyone relax as if there's nothing to worry about is equivalent to feeling no pain when you put your hand on a lit stove. 

Anyway, let me turn up the gas. This morning's global closed case fatality rate just hit 13%. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Hate to say it, and would hate to see it, but I have a feeling Thailand may lose one-fifth of their population before this is through, mostly because of their own ignorance. 

It would align with the same attitude in wearing helmets and the huge number of fatalities here.

14 hours ago, Susco said:

I hate to say it, but you have no idea what your are talking about.

The mortality rate of covid-19 is about 1%, of the people that get infected, which is so far in the worst case in the world 0.5% of the population (San Marino) , so how would it be possible for any country to have 20% of their population die of the virus?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/what-is-coronavirus-and-what-is-the-mortality-rate

What is the mortality rate of the new coronavirus?

It is probably about or a bit less than 1%. Much higher figures have been flying about, but the chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, is one of those who believes it will prove to be 1% or lower. The World Health Organization’s director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, talked of 3.4%, but his figure was calculated by dividing the number of deaths by the number of officially confirmed cases. We know there are many more mild cases that do not get to hospital and are not being counted, which would bring the mortality rate significantly down.

And that is exactly why I don't understand the panic this is causing. A lot of people are getting sick, sure, but almost everyone fully recovers within days, same as with other illnesses. It affects most those with underlying health conditions and the elderly, same as with other illnesses.

But we get an entire planet going into lockdown or planning to, countless millions losing their livelihood and the world's economy and countless businesses facing a crisis from which they will struggle to recover from. 

• Like 1

Mmmm. Thailand’s contribution percentage wise to this 13 % would be how much then?  Help me please I’m no good at stats!                              

22 minutes ago, rabas said:

Having everyone relax as if there's nothing to worry about is equivalent to feeling no pain when you put your hand on a lit stove. 

Anyway, let me turn up the gas. This morning's global closed case fatality rate just hit 13%. 

12 hours ago, wasabi said:

At this point the whole country should be locked down for 2 weeks with the strictest measures possible. The predilection of Thais to share food, space, and other items in large clusters cannot be requested away. Why step by step when we all know this needs to go to Defcon 5. Nearly all outdoor Thai street food and eating practices are unsanitary. In the world before the virus these could be remedied with a few capsules of Charcoal to fix an upset stomach but now there is a risk of wiping out a huge slice of the population. No amount of economic damage from a 2 week lockdown is going to be as bad as that. No one including me wants to be forced inside but I think it has come to that. Let one person out per household per day to get nearby food and allow critical employees to continue to work including food delivery. Have this run by the military and force it into practice. We are brought to the lowest common denominator of death and illness by a large portion of the population that on average has no understanding of viral transmission besides avoiding dirty Farangs who created the virus by not taking showers. As well as those lovely fried banana and som tam vendors washing bowls in buckets of dirty water then eating out of them. I love Thailand and Thai people but it's time to be honest about what it will take to solve this crisis.

By the way my favorite thing are people who like to wear their useless surgical masks on their chin.

Your last paragraph .  Indeed , they go into lotus , have their temp. taken on entry , shop , then come out get on their scooters , still wearing masks but no crash hat.  Where do most deaths occur , yep on the highways and byways.

• Like 2

Statistics in LOS have Always been suspect due to Self Interest Manipulation.

A prime example is that of the baht strength. Or , Tourism only amounts to 14% of GDP, where in

reality it is much closer to 27-30%.

The same goes for the COVID19 figures.

Not closing the borders to Chinese tourists over 6 weeks ago will come back to

haunt Thailand. The Horse is out of the barn now.

The Bright side is - We can ALL prevent further virus contamination though prudent actions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, rabas said:

So closed case fatality rate now is the same as mortality rate ?

Well if it floats your boat, but for others who want to see the real numbers

Coronavirus Cases:

view by country

Deaths: