Sharp increase in Covid-19 cases in Thai provinces 'cause for concern'

Jonathan Fairfield

13 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

You might want to compare the infection rates in the USA and UK to those in Thailand before you start flinging around accusations of ignorance.

You might want to think again of infection rates and their causes rather than associations.

There are many factors involved in these rates and government incompetence is just one.

For instance another important factor is that in Europe it is the "flu season" - a time of year when loads of people spend (were sending} a lot of time indoors with each other - e.g. pubs clubs theatre ,schools etc. 

I think that Thailand's relatively low but now dranmati=cally increasing problems are done to many other factors - including luck - making simplistic conclusions based on just one factor is way short of a good argument.

The management of the company I work for in Thailand has shown an alarming lack of understanding of the corona problem so far and it is unlikely they will heed government guidelines until the police actually knock on the door. ...and so long as th Thai authorities fixate on foreigners and face masks there is definitely cause for concern

You might also bear in mind that the Thai "flu season" i.e. the Rainy season, is yet to begin. So lets wait a while.

Edited by Airbagwill

19 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

You might want to think again of infection rates and their causes rather than associations.

There are many factors involved in these rates and government incompetence is just one.

For instance another important factor is that in Europe it is the "flu season" - a time of year when loads of people spend (were sending} a lot of time indoors with each other - e.g. pubs clubs theatre ,schools etc. 

I think that Thailand's relatively low but now dranmati=cally increasing problems are done to many other factors - including luck - making simplistic conclusions based on just one factor is way short of a good argument.

The management of the company I work for in Thailand has shown an alarming lack of understanding of the corona problem so far and it is unlikely they will heed government guidelines until the police actually knock on the door. ...and so long as th Thai authorities fixate on foreigners and face masks there is definitely cause for concern

You might also bear in mind that the Thai "flu season" i.e. the Rainy season, is yet to begin. So lets wait a while.

I am not the one making simplistic conclusions - I am pointing out that accusing Thai people of being ignorant with regard to the virus is a simplistic and inaccurate statement, especially when you consider the fact that the infection rates in the UK and USA are more than ten times those in Thailand.

People not heeding government guidelines? That's happening in the UK and the USA too. I realise it's very difficult for some Westerners to get rid of their incomprehensible sense of superiority but there is zero evidence to support the claim that casualties in Thailand will be worse than anywhere else due to ignorance. There is, however, evidence to suggest this might be the case in the USA and UK. Enough evidence to make a strong case for claiming that ignorance in the West has made the problem worse than it is here? No, of course not. But certainly enough evidence to suggest that making such claims about ignorance in Thailand is ridiculous at this stage.

Edited by Mark1066

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:

I am not the one making simplistic conclusions - I am pointing out that accusing Thai people of being ignorant with regard to the virus is a simplistic and inaccurate statement, especially when you consider the fact that the infection rates in the UK and USA are more than ten times those in Thailand.

People not heeding government guidelines? That's happening in the UK and the USA too. I realise it's very difficult for some Westerners to get rid of their incomprehensible sense of superiority but there is zero evidence to support the claim that casualties in Thailand will be worse than anywhere else due to ignorance. There is, however, evidence to suggest this might be the case in the USA and UK. Enough evidence to make a strong case for claiming that ignorance in the West has made the problem worse than it is here? No, of course not. But certainly enough evidence to suggest that making such claims about ignorance in Thailand is ridiculous at this stage.

No you're not

"You might want to compare the infection rates in the USA and UK to those in Thailand before you start flinging around accusations of ignorance."

You're suggesting that a lower rate of infection is proof of lack of ignorance....this is not a good argument as I pointed out earlier- You might also take into account that the Thai authorities have just introduced a more effective test as the old one was leaving them ignorant of many cases.

and you are not making a logical inference about the west either - you are using purely numbers as association rather than causal evidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:

People not heeding government guidelines? That's happening in the UK and the USA too. I realise it's very difficult for some Westerners to get rid of their incomprehensible sense of superiority but there is zero evidence to support the claim that casualties in Thailand will be worse than anywhere else due to ignorance. There is, however, evidence to suggest this might be the case in the USA and UK. Enough evidence to make a strong case for claiming that ignorance in the West has made the problem worse than it is here? No, of course not. But certainly enough evidence to suggest that making such claims about ignorance in Thailand is ridiculous at this stage

People can theorise about evidence until the cows come home but testing remains the only true standard of truth. It's not about which country (or it's people) is good or bad it's about the credibility of those in charge. 

9 minutes ago, AverageBloke said:

People can theorise about evidence until the cows come home but testing remains the only true standard of truth. It's not about which country (or it's people) is good or bad it's about the credibility of those in charge. 

How credible then is Oz borderforce and NSW Health for letting  passengers disembark  before test results known on the latest cruise ship de<deleted>le in Sydney? Ruby Princess and 2700 passengers yesterday.

Edited by Olmate
Add

On 3/25/2020 at 6:58 PM, Airbagwill said:

No you're not

"You might want to compare the infection rates in the USA and UK to those in Thailand before you start flinging around accusations of ignorance."

You're suggesting that a lower rate of infection is proof of lack of ignorance....this is not a good argument as I pointed out earlier- You might also take into account that the Thai authorities have just introduced a more effective test as the old one was leaving them ignorant of many cases.

and you are not making a logical inference about the west either - you are using purely numbers as association rather than causal evidence.

I'm not suggesting the figures are proof of anything, I’m suggesting that there is no evidence to support the theory that Thai ignorance has led to a worse situation here than anywhere else and that, in fact, if you were to draw any conclusions from existing figures, the opposite could be true. Are you not capable of following a logical thought process?

If we ignore the figures, there's no proof of anything, if we take them into account, we could argue that Thailand has coped with the situation better so far. However, in neither case do we have any evidence to suggest that Thai ignorance has made anything worse.

Edited by Mark1066