THAI slashing up to 58 per cent of flights until October

webfact

My story is as a two millionaire, arrived on 17th March.

a few days ago the world started to go crazy. I wondered down to the Thai airlines offices in Pattaya to investigate the possibility of an early flight back to the UK . The place was busy, queue of 60-70 person all holding numbered tickets, mainly German Nationals. After a hour my number was up. Was told there was no chance of an early flight back to the UK , unless I was willing to pay extra.. ie a new flight. Also most flights were fully booked. My flight on the 2nd April was going ahead as normal. Two hour later I got an email informing me that my flight on the 2nd had been cancelled. I was now booked on TG910 for the 3rd April. I’m currently okay with this, won’t be if the situation changes for the worse. Situation is better than those who booked with Etihad airways. According to a conversion I had tonight, they abandoned their customers 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

They are a money-losing operation, mainly because anyone with any power in the military or the elite can apply pressure and fly first class for free.

Shutting down 100% of their flights would mean they lose less money each year.

Boring old cliché. 99 % profit is  cattle class

Just read in a Thai english news site that cannot be linked here (business section), that they are suspending flights starting this week.

On Wednesday (not sure if today, or next week) flights to asian  cities.

On Friday to Syd Melb Bris, Perth.

From April 1 most flights to Europe.

Unused tickets issued before March 25 can be exchanged for travel vouchers valid for 1 year.

See news site for more details

Please don't shoot the messenger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Boring old cliché. 99 % profit is  cattle class

What profit?

In any case, as with so many subjects, your understanding of airline economics is completely upside down.

Edited by donnacha

I posted this elsewhere, will post here as well FYI. 

All Thai flights to Australia & New Zealand are suspended from ~30 March to 30 June, then reduced flights after that.  

Qantas and Jetstar cease international flying at the end of March. 

Etihad and Emirates have stopped flying for at least two weeks - UAE borders are closed, not even transit passengers allowed.  

Singapore borders are closed, not even transit passengers allowed. 

'Routes Online' is a good place to see schedule changes, you can sign up for a daily email listing schedule changes which is handy at a time like this. 

Here are Thai's most recent filings, but bear in mind first they initially reduced flights from late March, then they cancelled them until 30 June and pushed back the reduced schedules.  So the wording is a bit confusing.  

Bangkok – Auckland
29MAR20 – 30JUN20 Service cancelled
eff 01JUL20 Reduce from 7 to 3 weekly, 787-9 operating

Bangkok – Brisbane
30MAR20 – 30JUN20 Service cancelled
eff 01JUL20 Reduce from 4 to 3 weekly, 777-200ER operating

Bangkok – Melbourne
31MAR20 – 30JUN20 Service cancelled
eff 01JUL20 Reduce from 14 to 3 weekly, A350-900XWB operating

Bangkok – Perth
30MAR20 – 30JUN20 Service cancelled
eff 01JUL20 Reduce from 7 to 3 weekly, A330-300 operating (Service cancelled 30APR20 – 16JUN20)

Bangkok – Sydney
01APR20 – 30JUN20 Service cancelled
01JUL20 – 24OCT20 Reduce from 7 to 5 weekly, 777-300ER replaces 747-400

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/290449/thai-airways-international-cancels-australia-new-zealand-service-in-2q20/?highlight=thai

• Like 2

And to add to the heatship and confussin, Thai office in silom will shut for good in a few days forcing people to travel to the other 2 offices remaining at an inconvenient locations, a call center that is impossible to get through and finish off with an airline that is stingy on communications with it's passengers when things goes bad.. Way to go Thai...

15 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Last Thai flight BKK to Perth arrives tomorrow afternoon

Hello, does that mean it arrives in Thailand today afternoon or Australia today afternoon?

I think you mean arrives in Aus, but just checking.

Also do you have the flight number and Thailand departure details?

9 hours ago, damian said:

Mine was booked on SG from ADL for next month as her uni finished. Flight got cancelled couoldnt change to the last flight yesterday so had to pay for a new flight on QF from SYD tomorrow. Get her to try QF. 

Good news, she was able to get a seat on Thai Airways,leaving on Thursday,

which would seem to be the last Thai flight out of Sydney,just phoned ,she

has just gotten her fitness to fly paper,last hurdle is the Thai Embassy sending

her confirmation she can fly to Thailand.

Regards Worgeordie

Thai Airways (TG) Prepares to Ground the Fleet to Battle COVID-19

Andrew J Wood 

image11.jpg

In a notice in Thai the company announced on its own Facebook page a dramatic reduction of its fleet services 

Photo credit A J WOOD

BANGKOK: Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI) announced, “Due to the ongoing global outbreak of COVID-19, several countries in Europe and Asia has intensely increased preventive measures including screening by local Ministries of Public Health and Civil Aviation Organizations as well as national lockdown.  

Therefore, THAI has prepared its plans and temporarily suspended its operations on the following flights:

1. ????Starting on 25 March 2020: Hong Kong, Taipei, Tokyo (Narita and Haneda), Osaka, Nagoya, Seoul, Phnom Penh, Vientiane, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Yangon, Singapore, Jakarta, Denpasar, Kunming, Xiamen, Chengdu, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Karachi, Kathmandu, Lahore, Dhaka, Islamabad, and Colombo. For domestic flights to Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Krabi will be transferred and operated by THAI Smile.

2. ????Starting on 27 March 2020: Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth

3. ????Starting on 1 April 2020: THAI will cancel most of its flights to Europe which are London, Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, Copenhagen, Oslo, Moscow and Stockholm

image_3.jpg

THAI previously suspended flights to Sendai, Sapporo, Fukuoka, Busan, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Rome, Milan, Vienna, New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Muscat, Dubai, and Auckland.

To facilitate customers, THAI allows passengers holding THAI and THAI Smile code-share flights air tickets, issued before 25 March 2020 with the following date of travel, to convert unused tickets to one-year valid travel voucher without fee and surcharges:

•Asian Routes during 25 March – 31 May 2020

•European, Australian and New Zealand Routes during 1 April – 31 May 2020

Royal Orchid Plus (ROP) members holding award tickets issued to travel during 25 March – 31 May 2020 may fully re-credit mileages or change the travel date without any fee or charge with expired miles extended until 30 September 2020.

Passengers may check flight schedules and make changes to itineraries themselves on www.thaiairways.com website. For ticket adjustments or more information, ROP members can contact THAI Sales Offices or visit www.thaiairways.com/rop.

THAI still operate cargo service in some routes and will operate charter flight if there are stranded passengers or requested by government agencies concerned. The Company will inform passengers accordingly if there is some flight adjustment.”

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-25
  • Thanks 1

These are the planned Thai suspensions according to Blue Swan Daily, an aviation news site is owned by 'CAPA', a reputable aviation analysis company. 

Thai Airways announced (24-Mar-2020) plans to suspend services to the following destinations in response to the coronavirus outbreak:

Asia from 25-Mar-2020:
Hong Kong, Taipei, Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Seoul, Kunming, Xiamen, Chengdu, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Karachi, Kathmandu, Lahore, Dhaka, Islamabad, Colombo, Phnom Penh, Vientiane, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Yangon, Singapore, Jakarta, Bali, Karachi;

Australia from 27-Mar-2020:
Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth;

Europe from 01-Apr-2020:
London, Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, Copenhagen, Oslo, Moscow, Stockholm.

https://blueswandaily.com/thai-airways-to-suspend-services-across-network-from-25-mar-2020/

I'd be interested to see how that compares to flights bookable on the Thai website. 

8 hours ago, moojar said:

I posted this elsewhere, will post here as well FYI. 

All Thai flights to Australia & New Zealand are suspended from ~30 March to 30 June, then reduced flights after that.  

Qantas and Jetstar cease international flying at the end of March. 

Etihad and Emirates have stopped flying for at least two weeks - UAE borders are closed, not even transit passengers allowed.  

Singapore borders are closed, not even transit passengers allowed. 

'Routes Online' is a good place to see schedule changes, you can sign up for a daily email listing schedule changes which is handy at a time like this. 

Here are Thai's most recent filings, but bear in mind first they initially reduced flights from late March, then they cancelled them until 30 June and pushed back the reduced schedules.  So the wording is a bit confusing.  

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/290449/thai-airways-international-cancels-australia-new-zealand-service-in-2q20/?highlight=thai

Just changed this morning as of 25 th March all flights in and out of Asia Pacific are now cancelled till June 1st and apparently all Thai booking offices in Australia now closed.

Thai Airways, Thai style or Thai economics.

Example: on Sunday 28th March  they charge a one way flight from Bangkok to brussels more than 35.000 baht. The usual price is around 12.000 baht. They simply take advantage of the situation at the expense of their stranded customers. I define this as extortion even blackmail.

We were told today Wednesday that no flights were going out after the end of the month by Thai Airways. Is it only Thai doing this or are others following suit?  We extended our Visas for 30 days hoping to stay a bit longer & we  understand that under these circumstances all companies will cut flights but just wondering if all will suspend. Thai said from March end through April & May didn't know yet about June. Any info' appreciated..

9 hours ago, carlyai said:

Hello, does that mean it arrives in Thailand today afternoon or Australia today afternoon?

I think you mean arrives in Aus, but just checking.

Also do you have the flight number and Thailand departure details?

My wife just arrived in Perth from BKK  25th March.  Very lucky to get home.  Praises go to travel agent AM Holiday Travel, run by Thai people. They got her onto an earlier flight.

3 hours ago, tso310 said:

Thai have finally updated their site. Refunds will take up to 8 weeks to process.

If they not went belly up until then...... (Hopefully they don't, have one flight to be refunded and another one for November still booked....)
They will be under scrutiny by the finance ministry for the next two months.

Spent 5 hours in the heat, along with 170+ ahead of me in the queue at Thai airlines offices Pattaya.

appears all where well served and got what they wanted which was a flight home.

i was offered the late flight to Heathrow leaving a 0055 28/3

well done to the staff staying on past their 1730hrs closing.

vacation cut by 4 days.

am I leaving the frying pan and jumping into the fire