Thai banks: Plenty of cash to go round and branches staying open amid crisis

webfact

Thai banks: Plenty of cash to go round and branches staying open amid crisis

3pm.jpg.4640a14d7b9b7c64f319eace880df46a.jpg

FILE PHOTO

The president of the Thai Bankers' Association has assured the public that there is plenty of cash in the system for everybody during the Covid-19 crisis that is hitting the country. 

Preedee Daochai said he has been working closely with the Bank of Thailand.

The country's 54,000 ATMs remain open for business and cash is being added to them on a regular basis. 

In addition bank branches both within department stores and outside remain open for business as normal. 

Visitors to branches should observe instructions from staff to keep their distance from each other. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-24
  • Thanks 1

One branch located in the car park of our nearest Tesco is shut. The atms outside all working as normal Lines on the floor with painted footprints to show where to stand if there's a queue. But the actual branch isn't open. All the windows and glass doors plastered with notices saying closed until 12th April.

Other banks seem to be open though.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

One branch located in the car park of our nearest Tesco is shut. The atms outside all working as normal Lines on the floor with painted footprints to show where to stand if there's a queue. But the actual branch isn't open. All the windows and glass doors plastered with notices saying closed until 12th April.

And who cleans the ATM regularly?

• Thanks 1

in the ussa, there's the saying that if the govt says 'were here to help' you should run like hell the other way fast. the other is if the govt says one thing, assume the mean the opposite.

your mileage may vary

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Kasikorn in the Avenue Pattaya is also closed with similar signs in the window

• Thanks 1

Yesterday I went to my local SCB branch I have been using for 7 years.  The security guard did not want to let me in.  They had a sign saying No foreigners were allowed in.  After talking to him for a few minutes the bank manager saw us and came out and let me in.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The president of the Thai Bankers' Association has assured the public that there is plenty of cash in the system for everybody during the Covid-19 crisis that is hitting the country. 

I hope the banks are using virus-free laundered money to refill the cash machines?

• Haha 1

A post containing personal details has been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook  etc.) should always be shown

You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or Social Media addresses in posts or signatures.

Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites/blogs, or Social Media accounts, may be posted in a member's profile page only.

This forum is not the place in which to contact the bank for assistance. 

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Kasikorn in the Avenue Pattaya is also closed with similar signs in the window

Yes branches that have had an infected employee or customer will be closed

4 hours ago, rwill said:

Yesterday I went to my local SCB branch I have been using for 7 years.  The security guard did not want to let me in.  They had a sign saying No foreigners were allowed in.  After talking to him for a few minutes the bank manager saw us and came out and let me in.

You should have shamed them on social media and sent a complaint to head office. 

Sickening the way we are often treated here. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyBKK said:

In the last 30 days I haven't had a single paper bill, why are you guys using paper cash exactly ?

When we go to buy delicious fresh fruits at the local markets (the sellers only accept "paper money") ..... Half price compared to the super market, and three times as tasty.. You should try it one day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My advice is get hard core money and keep it at your place. I find this unimaginable so ATM's will close up due to restrictions and infections that will start to rise very rapidly from here on out for the next several weeks. Meaning this statement is a way no way. It has only just begun, to live, so many people to infect so many... ( Carpenters) my friends. I now have over 150k Thb to keep my stuff running on hand paying bills or buying essentials by paper money. Electronic money as in my banks here is also way sufficient. If the virus hits me then hopefully because we need to pay upfront I will then have enough on hand or can pay both ways. We have 6 weeks of food and 4 weeks of alcohol for me. Looking good. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyBKK said:

In the last 30 days I haven't had a single paper bill, why are you guys using paper cash exactly ?

Have you been to your local fruit market, store, or local thai restaurant lately?  The majority of them still only accept cash.  

I'm guessing in the cities there may be a slightly larger %age that have QR code to accept bank transfer/promptpay.

22 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

My advice is get hard core money and keep it at your place. I find this unimaginable so ATM's will close up due to restrictions and infections that will start to rise very rapidly from here on out for the next several weeks. Meaning this statement is a way no way. It has only just begun, to live, so many people to infect so many... ( Carpenters) my friends. I now have over 150k Thb to keep my stuff running on hand paying bills or buying essentials by paper money. Electronic money as in my banks here is also way sufficient. If the virus hits me then hopefully because we need to pay upfront I will then have enough on hand or can pay both ways. We have 6 weeks of food and 4 weeks of alcohol for me. Looking good. 

There is no incentive for the banks to shut down the internet banking.   That should continue without much interruption.    Cash shortage will affect local restaurants and such.   There are a few restaurants and stores that have QR code for PromptPay and/or bank transfer.   And the last OTOP market that occurred here many vendors had bank transfer options, which was useful.   But the majority of local vendors still only take paper currency.

But as a side note:  good job on being prepared.

Edited by 4evermaat

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's strange, In Pattaya only one person has been mentioned a Belgium guy who just arrived and went to a bar on Soi 8

People like him after devastating their own country are flocking to Thailand. Why allow these type of people to enter even. 

Edited by Mulambana
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, glennb6 said:

in the ussa, there's the saying that if the govt says 'were here to help' you should run like hell the other way fast. the other is if the govt says one thing, assume the mean the opposite.

your mileage may vary

“The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”

-Ronald Reagan 

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's strange, In Pattaya only one person has been mentioned a Belgium guy who just arrived and went to a bar on Soi 8

Yes maybe his plane from Belgium landed at that bar ins Soi 8, he didn't leave that bar for the period of 1 week he stayed in Pattaya, and then after he fell ill he went by helicopter from the bar straight to where he lives upcountry.

Actually, after reading your other posts on the covid-19 subject, I'm not sure why I even bother to reply to your drivel

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Yes maybe his plane from Belgium landed at that bar ins Soi 8, he didn't leave that bar for the period of 1 week he stayed in Pattaya, and then after he fell ill he went by helicopter from the bar straight to where he lives upcountry.

Actually, after reading your other posts on the covid-19 subject, I'm not sure why I even bother to reply to your drivel

Stupid post, like your other ones, other people seem to think the same

• Sad 1