Extending a permission to stay...total confusion as usual!

I'm a Brit who entered on a 30 day permission to stay, which expires tomorrow 26/03. My flight Etihad BKK-AUH-LON was cancelled yesterday evening. Someone told me at the airport that i could get a support letter from the embassy and go to the immigration tomorrow to extend. I went to the embassy this morning and was told to apply online but looks like it's only to extend tourist visas etc. not permission to stay. Anyway i sent the email with all docs. except visa stamp/sticker and got a generic email back which tells me for visa extensions i must first apply to immigration! (attached) two working day wait for the letter and mine expires tomorrow.

Any advice welcome! ????

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5155.jpg

5 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

U came in on a visa exempt stamp? U got 30 days?

u can extend this without the letter.

When u get this extension and this one runs out, u will need a letter from the embassy

Yes, got a visa exempt with 30 days

Couple more questions, please...

How long will the extension be for?

My flight is on 29/03 (my permission to stay expires tomorrow) so what if i go to the airport and i haven't extended. Do they shoot me on sight!! Really don't fancy the lunacy at the immigration ????

Thanks

• Like 1

OK, if you're leaving on the 29th, you will have accrued 3 days overstay for which you'll be fined 500 baht/day (1500 baht) at the airport.   The alternative is today go to Immigration where you could obtain (without a letter) a 30 day extension for which you'll pay 1900 baht.   Pretty obvious which option to go for.

The only proviso in all this though, are you absolutely sure that your flight will depart on the 29th?   These events do not appear to be a given at the moment.

8 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Yes, got a visa exempt with 30 days

Couple more questions, please...

How long will the extension be for?

My flight is on 29/03 (my permission to stay expires tomorrow) so what if i go to the airport and i haven't extended. Do they shoot me on sight!! Really don't fancy the lunacy at the immigration ????

Thanks

30 day visa exempt entry extend for 30 days 1,900 baht.

If you overstay will be stamped as such and 500 baht per day due.  If you are stopped by police (or likely military soon) on overstay you go to jail and face court (a fine) and deported.  Jail not nice and immigration hold for deportation even less so.  As we are likely to have paperwork check increase under current conditions would not recommend taking the chance.

Edit to remove false information (had read as month 4 rather than 3.)

Edited by lopburi3

10 minutes ago, pagallim said:

OK, if you're leaving on the 29th, you will have accrued 3 days overstay for which you'll be fined 500 baht/day (1500 baht) at the airport.   The alternative is today go to Immigration where you could obtain (without a letter) a 30 day extension for which you'll pay 1900 baht.   Pretty obvious which option to go for.

The only proviso in all this though, are you absolutely sure that your flight will depart on the 29th?   These events do not appear to be a given at the moment.

Thanks. 

Yes, i realise the risk having had one flight cancelled on me already but the risk and stress of a visit to Chang Wattana makes my choice fairly easy. If it get cancelled again i will have to throw myself at the mercy of Immigration ☹️!

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

30 day visa exempt entry extend for 30 days 1,900 baht.

If you overstay will be stamped as such and 500 baht per day due.  If you are stopped by police (or likely military soon) on overstay you go to jail and face court (a fine) and deported.  Jail not nice and immigration hold for deportation even less so.  As we are likely to have paperwork check increase under current conditions would not recommend taking the chance.

Edit to remove false information (had read as month 4 rather than 3.)

Yes, i understand but i'm holed up at the hotel and have no intention of going out. Cheers ????

6 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Yes, i understand but i'm holed up at the hotel and have no intention of going out. Cheers ????

Just hope hotel does not report your overstay status before you leave - but agree it is a real danger trying to extend stay at this time from recent reports of numbers in that position.  Obviously an area that needs attention for everyone's sake.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Just hope hotel does not report your overstay status before you leave - but agree it is a real danger trying to extend stay at this time from recent reports of numbers in that position.  Obviously an area that needs attention for everyone's sake.  

I'm hearing there will be some kind of announcement tomorrow. Perhaps there will be some good news in it for tourists ????

• Confused 1

I think at this time visiting cw would be a complete pain in the ass, and a horrible experience, just to extend 3 days.

But like mentioned above, there will be alot more police or military about soon , probably at checkpoints.

Its a double edge sword, damned if you do, damned if you dont.

How will u get to the airport btw?

17 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

I'm hearing there will be some kind of announcement tomorrow. Perhaps there will be some good news in it for tourists ????

Latest is PM will address the nation tonight but don't hold out much hope for any immigration change - once committee starts operation tomorrow there might be a better chance (if that is not changed tonight).  The world is in an uncharted mess right now so it is much more than Thailand.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

I think at this time visiting cw would be a complete pain in the ass, and a horrible experience, just to extend 3 days.

But like mentioned above, there will be alot more police or military about soon , probably at checkpoints.

Its a double edge sword, damned if you do, damned if you dont.

How will u get to the airport btw?

Was thinking Airport link but could get a cab if necessary 

3 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

What would happen if i went to extend my 30 day permission to stay after it expired? Just asking ????

They can accept couple of days and you pay overstay and reject your application (can or perhaps not) then give you 7days to leave. Why not go tomorrow. You have an option.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

If I'm you, I would wait for tonight's state of emergency announcement, and if no any good news for tourists, I would do 30-days extension tomorrow... Too big risk to wait for 29th... First your hotel could report you (hotels done this before, reported here), second there could be police/military checkpoints on the way to airport on 29th (highly likely during state of emergency), in both cases you could end up in IDC which is the worst possible place to be in during this virus situation... As Peter said, you can hop to another city I/O to make extension, if BKK I/O is too crowded.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, get your 30 day extension. Perhaps pay an agent to speed up the process or take Peter Dennis advice.

Good chance the flight could be rescheduled etc.

I think you're right. Will go tomorrow...to many risks nobody"s that lucky! ????

Just to be clear, i need:

2 passport photos 

1,900THB

Completed application form

Passport with departure card (2 copies?)

Cheers 

1 minute ago, sallecc said:

If I'm you, I would wait for tonight's state of emergency announcement, and if no any good news for tourists, I would do 30-days extension tomorrow... Too big risk to wait for 29th... First your hotel could report you (hotels done this before, reported here), second there could be police/military checkpoints on the way to airport on 29th (highly likely during state of emergency), in both cases you could end up in IDC which is the worst possible place to be in during this virus situation... As Peter said, you can hop to another city I/O to make extension, if BKK I/O is too crowded.

Yes, obviously if they announce this evening an amnesty for tourists no need to go...but i need to get documents ready now in case ????

Just now, BillStrangeOgre said:

I think you're right. Will go tomorrow...to many risks nobody"s that lucky! ????

2 passport photos 

1,900THB

Cheers 

Hope you do. Post #19 makes VERY GOOD point. I recall when junta took over and curfew was introduced. You could be outside in curfew hours if you had plane ticket. I got pull up 1am on route from DMK to hua hin. Went through 2 road blocks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Thanks. 

Yes, i realise the risk having had one flight cancelled on me already but the risk and stress of a visit to Chang Wattana makes my choice fairly easy. If it get cancelled again i will have to throw myself at the mercy of Immigration ☹️!

Oh stop being over dramatic

You have been advised what to do and it's easy enough to do it

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They can accept couple of days and you pay overstay and reject your application (can or perhaps not) then give you 7days to leave. Why not go tomorrow. You have an option.

Sometimes you just need people to tell you what you already know! Cheers????

26 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Yes, obviously if they announce this evening an amnesty for tourists no need to go...but i need to get documents ready now in case ????

It seems PM has already spoken and nothing new except he will be in charge and say what is to be done in stages after the emergency order goes into effect at midnight.  So it appears tomorrow or later until anything changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

2 passport photos 

1,900THB

Cheers 

I think also a photo  copy of visa

• Like 1

Are you talking about the one he already did this afternoon, or are you talking about a 2nd round later tonight?

Believe the afternoon event was it for today - as usual best not to take anything too literally - sorry for doing so.

Edited by lopburi3