Should I stay or should I go?

Currently live in Siem Reap and, following the UK announcement that all British Citizens should return home, am wondering if this is the correct and sensible course of action.

Even if the UK arrange for an emergency repatriation flight no doubt this would be from Phnom Penh. I think there are currently just two flights from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh although not certain how long these will continue given it was reported the other day that Hun Sen is considering approaching the King for his permission to impose a state of emergency.

In any event if I managed to get to Phnom Penh it would necessitate standing in crowds at the airport before flying in little more than a “sealed tube’ with people I have no knowledge of and what preventative measures they have taken to protect themselves. On arrival in UK they will probably, hopefully, direct the flight to an army/private airbase where I would board a coach and be put in quarantine for 14 days.

However given the dramatic increase in infections in the UK would I be any safer than here in Siem Reap.

Siem Reap has no mass transit system such as the London Underground, Buses or Trains. Here it is relatively easy to keep yourself isolated and to get around you can always order the Tuk Tuk’s where the driver sits out front on his bike so there is minimal direct contact. Indeed if ordered on grab the fare can be debited direct to your bank account.

Whilst still a lot unknown about COVID19 the general consensus is that countries with an older population are more at risk, Italy and Spain for example. Given Cambodia’s somewhat tragic past in general the population has a lower median age than many other countries. Whilst I accept the following data is 6 years old in 2014 the figures for ‘percentage of a population aged 60 years or over’ were:-

Italy No 2 with 26.9%

Spain No 23 with 22.9%

Cambodia No 111 with 7.7%

I appreciate the government may have challenges in getting the local community to recognise the dangers of this virus and the need for keeping a distance from each other or even self isolation if necessary. However if the message is clearly made I’m sure people will respond. The only reason I specifically refer to the local community is I feel many of them will find this period difficult and trust, if we stay, we can all play our part by supporting the local businesses to ensure we can all get through this together.

I’m thinking of staying but wonder what you guys are planning?

If you've got the money, get a few hundred $$$$s out of the ATM, and stay where you are.

I was almost trapped in SR last Friday when Air Asia announced all their flights cancelled.

You don't even need to worry about a VISA in Cambodia as it's extendable through an agent.

• Like 2

More chance of catching it en-route or in Blighty as you say. Besides, believe they're typically referring to holidaymakers, and would have to put out that notice if their plan is to eventually shut airports. If no dependents, I'd certainly be staying put. 

7 hours ago, New beginnings said:

am wondering if this is the correct and sensible course of action.

no need to read more.  if it was, you wouldn't ask.  you know it's better to stay, if i were you i would stay, so stay.  end of thread.  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sheltering in place is often the best strategy.

Or put another way, what advantage would you have if you left?   And what would you return to when you got back home?

Keeping a few hundred cash isn't a bad idea if you do not have Cambo bank acct.   Even if you did, some cash on hand could help.  Maybe prepay your rent for the next 1-2 months.  pay extra on the utility bills if possible.   Then the remaining cash can be focused only on "situational" purchases.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1

Its very quiet here in Siem. Many of the businesses are shuttered and most folks are masked and distanceing. The clubs are closed, all the supermarkets have hand washing stations, my regular hangout has handwashing stations and is not very crowded. Everybody is just riding it out. Good place to do it. Im going to walk around tonight a bit just to get out, the streets are empty of tourists.

The local folks are not very happy about a certain country.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Sheltering in place is often the best strategy.

Or put another way, what advantage would you have if you left?   And what would you return to when you got back home?

Keeping a few hundred cash isn't a bad idea if you do not have Cambo bank acct.   Even if you did, some cash on hand could help.  Maybe prepay your rent for the next 1-2 months.  pay extra on the utility bills if possible.   Then the remaining cash can be focused only on "situational" purchases.

Emphasis on "a few hundred". In this environment, you do not want to have loads of cash on hand. Prepaying rent is a brilliant idea, but not too much time, as you may be forced to move.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Its very quiet here in Siem. Many of the businesses are shuttered and most folks are masked and distanceing. The clubs are closed, all the supermarkets have hand washing stations, my regular hangout has handwashing stations and is not very crowded. Everybody is just riding it out. Good place to do it. Im going to walk around tonight a bit just to get out, the streets are empty of tourists.

The local folks are not very happy about a certain country.

Hi know what you mean. Currently sitting in Pub Street as thought I would venture out to see what’s going on. Funny enough lots of the locals celebrating, loud music, drinking and dancing. Suspect this may be due to many businesses closing and they are taking opportunity for one last party until this is all over.

• Haha 1