Australia - overseas returnees enforced isolation

simple1

Yes....it has come to this.

I have been utterly staggered by the behaviour of two of my friends who have left it to the very last moment to return even tho' I told them repeatedly that this would probably happen.

At least for the moment the old world has gone..perhaps we should not have criticised it so much?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

Why 'utterly staggered' ? ... a bit of 'pearl-clutching' here surely? this measure is no big deal ...

Yesterday  - all incoming passengers (of all nationalities) were told to go home and self-isolate for 14 days ... some didn't ... there were penalties for non-compliance 

Today  - all incoming passengers (of all nationalities) are told to go into government-funded hotels and the like and self-isolate for 14 days ... most will ... there are penalties for non-compliance

imo your friends are cute, their self-isolation period is now Oz government subsidised and they are staying (in some cases) in prime Sydney locations and they are being closely observed by trained personnel who will know how to react if they show symptoms (shoot them!!! just kidding)

And media reports indicate that movement from arriving airport to assigned hotel will be strictly monitored by the ADF (Australian Defense Forces) and whilst they are in the assigned hotel. Good news.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pdtokyo said:

Sorry, please accept my apologies, i thought when you said "I have been ..."  ... that you were referring to yourself (being "utterly staggered").

Re-reading your post more closely, of course it is now obvious that "I" in fact refers to your friends, and not you.

I hardly know where to put myself [fans self with canasta scorecard]

I was just having a bit of a joke with you-I enjoy your posts..????

12 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

where are all the Likes and the Thanks then ??? Don't think i'm not keeping track of that stuff. I've got spreadsheets.

Ha..ha..ha..I am like Yossarian as I am saving my missions up-"Thanks" will only come when Col. Cathcart stops raising the number of conspiracy theories-which he is very unlikely to do.

Edited by Odysseus123

1 hour ago, pdtokyo said:

Nice try you two but adding Likes AFTER i've pointed out that you are NOT adding Likes goes onto a completely seperate spreadsheet which i do by hand (it's a cotton spreadsheet) ... totally unmonitorable ... 

If traffic cameras can see around corners and bounce signals off other things to get clear photos of your number plate they can see your sheet. Beware!

• Like 1

Just sayin’, from someone who only comes here to find or share facts and useful information, it would be easier without the Topic irrelevant posts. There are better places to share opinions and play your games. To save a barrage of more irrelevant posts, I stand pre-chastised Many times over and I apologies for this addition to the irrelevant post tally. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

... with exemptions and to be precise it's self-isolation ... 

should have been mandated weeks ago! Gutless dithering self promoting Aussie govt!

if the deadlier strains of Covid get into Aussie cities there’ll be a heck of a lot more to worry about than not being imposed upon not to travel as we please!

• Like 1

For those having onward interstate connections they will have to do 14 days of forced isolation at the city they land and possibly another 14 days of self isolation after crossing a State border

e.g. arrive Sydney, connecting to QLD? No problems, enjoy your 28 days “jail”!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Nemises said:

For those having onward interstate connections they will have to do 14 days of forced isolation at the city they land and possibly another 14 days of self isolation after crossing a State border

e.g. arrive Sydney, connecting to QLD? No problems, enjoy your 28 days “jail”!

Exactly. 28 days if going to another state. Maybe that will be relaxed and the only 14 days initial isolation will be needed. Who knows? Seems every state premier is trying to outdo the others. Nothing new there, typical attention seeking politicians.

5 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Nice try you two but adding Likes AFTER i've pointed out that you are NOT adding Likes goes onto a completely seperate spreadsheet which i do by hand (it's a cotton spreadsheet) ... totally unmonitorable ...

I prefer toilet paper to sheets or hands, 555

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

should have been mandated weeks ago! Gutless dithering self promoting Aussie govt!

if the deadlier strains of Covid get into Aussie cities there’ll be a heck of a lot more to worry about than not being imposed upon not to travel as we please!

Too scared of being called a racist is what caused all this from the start. I reckon in the future that anything that starts up in China like this will have to be dealt with immediate travel bans, lesson learnt. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/china-ground-zero-future-pandemic-180965213/

How many people have died around the world because of what comes out of China, Spanish flew is believed to come from Chinese laborers, SARS, H1N1,just off the top of head.

19 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

and applies traveling inside the state now, I can' travel from Perth to the south

( Albany, Bunbury) police controls every where.

Yes, I heard that. I also saw that Qld country towns are discouraging visitors. Just after the fires rural areas were pleading with city folk to come visit to help with their recovery. Not much travel for the grey nomads now.

9 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Quarantine now applies if crossing State borders.

I have friends who just drove from Sydney to Darwin. They just made it into QLD before the border closed. They had to sign quarantine forms at the NT border that was manned by both police and army. They encountered 4 checkpoints in NT before arriving in Darwin. They said there were a lot of stores on the way up with signs saying locals only. 

One of their friends also under quarantine in Darwin was visited by the army today checking he was at his place of quarantine.

• Thanks 1

Saw on the news earlier it will be 24 days isolation. 14 at Port of entry and another 14 if going home in another state.

A lot of people will use all of their annual leave just in quarantine. Not the public service of course. Some companies, just a few I believe, have made special leave provisions to cover this, but there is no obligation to do so.

Edited by emptypockets

11 hours ago, Mikeinapac said:

As long as they pay for it, not a big deal! ????

I would go stir crazy after a few days stuck in a hotel room, no matter how luxurious or if it is in a prime inner city area, even if it is fully paid by the Government. I am glad I am doing my 14 days at home with all my little creature comforts; fast internet, big screen computer, not a little laptop stuck with dismal hotel Wi-Fi, home theatre, my music, my tea and coffee gear. My Kitchen. This is not a jail. It is an enforced holiday. A time to freely spend as one wishes. Luckily I live on my own and don't own any rugrats or pets to interrupt my freedomz.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dexxter said:

I would go stir crazy after a few days stuck in a hotel room, no matter how luxurious or if it is in a prime inner city area, even if it is fully paid by the Government. I am glad I am doing my 14 days at home with all my little creature comforts; fast internet, big screen computer, not a little laptop stuck with dismal hotel Wi-Fi, home theatre, my music, my tea and coffee gear. My Kitchen...

Agree! Back in the 80s the Mrs & I were left stranded in an AU capital city due to an airline employee’s strike. They put us up at the Sheraton hotel (5 star).
We were there for just 7 days. The first 2 or 3 days were fine: exploring the city, beautiful hotel swimming pool, gym, heaps of in-house movies, daily housekeeping, nice (free) meals etc. 

But by the 4th day we’d have enough...and that was with the freedom to GET OUT and about morning, noon and night!

Crikey, we definitely would have become stir crazy if STUCK INSIDE the hotel room for 14 days. F@&# that. 

22 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "sad" and "confused" icons get added into the total score. Or are they subtracted? Perhaps a mod can clarify.

• Like 1